Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Junking Up the Beaches

Go down 
+4
hallmarkgrad
TEOTWAWKI
Eric
SheSurfs
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

Junking Up the Beaches Empty
PostSubject: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 9:15 am

Gulf Shores, Orange Beach and Pensacola have all come out in the last few days to say the trash and junk on the beach is getting worse almost exponentially. I see it too. In the last few weeks we have had at least two mother turtles hit beach furniture and then turn around and leave without nesting.

The SRIA wants to have one volunteer go along the beach and kindly ask people to move their stuff. A Gulf Shores city councilman wants enforcement with citations. He is fed up.

What's your take on this? What are you willing to tolerate in terms of what people, including beach services, are allowed to keep items/trash on the beach?

Who should pay for cleanup?

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 10:18 am

Lazy ignorant people! I saw that video of SRIA's Buck Lee and I liked it. He is asking for a volunteer and not many people would take the abuse that these lazy ignorant people would heap upon them.

I say - warn 'em and if they heap ANY abuse on the official, cite 'em. Hit those bastards in the pocketbook...
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 12:04 pm

Yeah and if they don't pay the fines send them to a prison to be raped or just shoot them between the eyes and let the state steal their stuff...that'll teach em ! Shoot their dogs for good measure.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 12:57 pm

So the beach businesses make 9 zillion dollars from events but then they want a "volunteer(s)" to help clean up the mess. LOL Where do I sign up?
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 1:16 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:
So the beach businesses make 9 zillion dollars from events but  then they want a "volunteer(s)" to help clean up the mess.  LOL  Where do I sign up?  

Zumpting tells me you are being a wisenheimer heir ichi....You vill cleanzen das beaches as a good citizen or else use will be dealt with harshly...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 1:19 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Yeah and if they don't pay the fines send them to a prison to be raped or just shoot them between the eyes and let the state steal their stuff...that'll teach em ! Shoot their dogs for good measure.

I detect displeasure with my "fine 'em" statement. Heavy handed to you, T?

Notice that I said to warn 'em, and if they give you a rash of shit, hit them BACK with a rash of shit... a fine. Tit for tat. An asshole deserves to be treated like one.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 1:25 pm

Just give them a fair trial and then hang them that's all I ask...I mean it's not like beaches on deserted islands are crammed with trash...When i was in the Navy it was important to fill the huge ships trash bags with enough metal to make sure they sunk outta sight....of course the damned litterbug sharks followed the ship around like pesky dogs ripping the bags open immediately so they could eat my old underwear....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 1:30 pm

That's a good picture to imagine... racing stripe an' all.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 1:32 pm

Yeah we called them "Hash marks" in the Navy.. Hey it gives you something to think about during shark week...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 1:36 pm

Hey T, I had an old feller make up a sort of chipped beef he said they served in the Navy and he called it "Bear Shit". It was great.

I'm looking for a recipe. Do you know the secret recipe for this gastronomic delight?
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 1:39 pm

No but we called it shit on a shingle when it was ladled over toast...It was just a lite white gravy with something like Canadian bacon mixed in....look up shit on a shingle, some swab probably already posted it...
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 1:42 pm

Here's a form of it...

http://www.food.com/recipe/sos-stuff-on-a-shingle-130886

Combine ground beef, onion and garlic on a large skillet or pot, and brown the beef.
Once the beef is browned and your onions clear, add the flour. There are two important things to note here - (1) Do not drain the beef (2) Add enough flour to completely absorb all the liquid in the pan.
Once all fluid is absorbed by the flour and you have a nice roux, add your milk. Again, remember that the measures are approximate. So, you want to add about twice as much milk as flour.
*Do not be afraid of adding too much milk. If you do, you will just have to cook it for longer in the next step, but the flavor will reward you for your efforts.
Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and slowly cook away the fluid, stirring often, until you have a nice thick milk gravy.
Spoon generous amounts over dry toast (like an open-faced sandwich) and enjoy.
We never have it with a salad or veggies, but they would go well this dish.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/sos-stuff-on-a-shingle-130886?oc=linkback
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 1:46 pm

Boy did this thread take some unusual turns.......
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 1:49 pm

I'm not a stickler for keeping on topic, lol.

... just as long as the conversation is lively...

Apologies to SheSurfs for straying.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 2:30 pm

We had the good stuff growing up and still love it!

2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 1/2 cups milk, (more or less depending on desired thickness)
1 jar of Armour Beef chopped
Black pepper
a pinch of cayenne pepper
Texas toast or your preferred bread-toasted

Junking Up the Beaches Gravy110
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 3:08 pm

We used to have it for breakfast some times.  It was not all that bad,  I had no complaints about Army Food.  But I was with a small unit so I think we ate much better that the regular Army.  I think SOS just has a bad rap...

Maybe they could use it as an incentive for people to volunteer for the beach duty.  Razz 
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 6:30 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:

Maybe they could use it as an incentive for people to volunteer for the beach duty.   Razz 

Or punishment for trashing the beach?

My mother used to make chipped beef on toast for dinner. The corned beef came in jars that could be washed and used as juice glasses. I remember getting into trouble for asking if I could just have the toast.

On that note, I asked someone one day why it was so difficult to find juice glasses in barware sets and I was told that unless it was alcohol, no one drinks in quantities that small anymore.

Oh, and no worries, Eric, this is morphing and moving as most good conversations do.

Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 6:47 pm

We also used the jars that the "special" Kraft(?)Pimento cheese came in. Same size.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 7:09 pm

We used the glasses that came in Crystal Oatmeal box......was glassware that expensive?
Junking Up the Beaches Ed_210
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Better than these  LOL
Junking Up the Beaches Pimento
Back to top Go down
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 7:28 pm

Ah, sigh. We had the same chipped beef growing up...nasty stuff, sorry. Mom used the same white sauce for peas.

I've always wondered what the "jeeps" or whatever they are do while driving up and down the beach. They do it constantly.

Still, I've had my fence knocked down, gate broken, outdoor shower left on for days and never have I received notice that there were "trespassers". Obviously, they were.

Why can't the "patrols" that are already there expand their horizons?
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 8:04 pm

Joani, I kid you not, I have four of these….got them from one of my grandmothers at some point.

Junking Up the Beaches IMG_2199_zps41e2d6a9
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 8:08 pm

stormwatch89 wrote:
Ah, sigh.  We had the same chipped beef growing up...nasty stuff, sorry.  Mom used the same white sauce for peas.

I've always wondered what the "jeeps" or whatever they are do while driving up and down the beach.  They do it constantly.

Still, I've had my fence knocked down, gate broken, outdoor shower left on for days and never have I received notice that there were "trespassers".  Obviously, they were.

Why can't the "patrols" that are already there expand their horizons?

A few Claymores will work miracles...

It doesn't take too many of 'em for people to get the message.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 8:32 pm

As far as I know, there are no more four-wheelers that are with BP unless there has been a report of oil. I know the park biologist Ann, is there a few times a day to check nests, as is Ryan who works under the superintendent. There have been a team of biologists from the state around the last couple of weeks but they have been on foot.

What the heck is the deal with the wrecking of your place, Stormy? Mind me asking if it's a house or a condo?

Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 8:34 pm

Eric wrote:

A few Claymores will work miracles...

It doesn't take too many of 'em for people to get the message.

Or carefully concealed catapults.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches Empty

Back to top Go down

Junking Up the Beaches
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next