Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun! Empty
PostSubject: Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun!   Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun! EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun! WhatDoYouLiveUnderARock1
This is astounding.  

Have these people been 
living under a frigging rock?
Quote :
And then, today, the National Science Foundation (NSF) delivered news of a pretty shocking poll result: around one in four Americans (yes, that's 25 percent) are unaware that the Earth orbits the sun. Let’s repeat that: One in four Americans — that represents one quarter of the population — when asked probably the most basic question in science (except, perhaps, “Is the Earth flat?” Hint: No.), got the answer incorrect. Suddenly I realized why the Nye vs. Ham debate was so popular.

But wait! I hear you cry, perhaps the NSF poll was flawed? Perhaps the poll sample was too small? Sadly not. The NSF poll, which is used to gauge U.S. scientific literacy every year, surveyed 2,200 people who were asked 10 questions about physical and biological sciences. On average, the score was 6.5 out of 10 -- barely a passing grade. But for me personally, the fact that 26 percent of the respondents were unaware the Earth revolves around the sun shocked me to the core.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun!   Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun! EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 1:28 am

But I bet they coulda named all the Kardashian siblings in order from youngest to oldest! 

Really, that is an extremely depressing poll... particularly since they polled over 2000 people :/

I like that the article makes sure to confirm for us idiots that 1/4 = 25%. lol.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun!   Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun! EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 11:23 am

I wish I saw the locations, ages, and other things about the people that answered the question.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun!   Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun! EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 11:58 am

More on this in the article below, and be sure to read the comments below the article. The U.S. actually did better than most countries on this question of the poll.

http://doubtfulnews.com/2014/02/do-one-in-four-americans-really-not-believe-earth-revolves-around-sun/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=do-one-in-four-americans-really-not-believe-earth-revolves-around-sun
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun!   Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun! EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 7:41 am

riceme wrote:
But I bet they coulda named all the Kardashian siblings in order from youngest to oldest! 

Really, that is an extremely depressing poll... particularly since they polled over 2000 people :/

I like that the article makes sure to confirm for us idiots that 1/4 = 25%. lol.

You posted exactly my thoughts!...It's comparable to the late night show and/or news shows that send reporters out on the street to ask questions of our society...Amazing their answers and lack of education...and they vote...wonder why were an entitlement nation?...It's things like this that proves the point...
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun!   Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun! EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 11:35 am

mediawatcher wrote:
riceme wrote:

You posted exactly my thoughts!...It's comparable to the late night show and/or news shows that send reporters out on the street to ask questions of our society...Amazing their answers and lack of education...and they vote...wonder why were an entitlement nation?...It's things like this that proves the point...

I like the ones where they go out on the street before the election and ask people what the results were and people just make shit up for an answer... because, you know, the election hasn't happened yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun!   Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun! Empty

Back to top Go down

Discovery.com reports 25% of Americans don't know Earth rotates around Sun!
Page 1 of 1