Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates? Speed limits may change!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates?  Speed limits may change! Empty
PostSubject: Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates? Speed limits may change!   Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates?  Speed limits may change! EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 1:05 pm

Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates?  Speed limits may change! Speed75

Sens. Jeff Brandes, R-St. Petersburg, and Jeff Clemens, D-Lake Worth, proposed a bill (SB 392) that would allow a 75 mph speed limit on some highways and also boost speeds on other roads. Brandes said the idea is to adjust speed limits on interstates and certain rural highway to accurately reflect what most motorists are already driving.

“If people are driving within rates they’re comfortable with, we need to adjust the minimum and maximums speeds to what 85 percent of people are already driving,” Brandes said. “That’s what this bill would allow.”

The proposal would direct the state Department of Transportation to determine the safe minimum and maximum speed limits on all divided highways that have least four lanes.

The DOT would then be able to increase travel on the state’s “limited access highways” to 75 mph and raise the maximum posted limit on divided four-lane highways in sparsely populated rural areas from 65 mph to 70 mph. The DOT could also hike speeds by 5 mph, to 65 mph, on other roads they deem safe.
http://www.northescambia.com/2013/11/floridas-highway-speed-limit-may-increase-to-75-mph

Last edited by Eric on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates? Speed limits may change!   Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates?  Speed limits may change! EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 7:57 am

Eric wrote:
Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates?  Speed limits may change! Speed75
Sens. Jeff Brandes, R-St. Petersburg, and Jeff Clemens, D-Lake Worth, proposed a bill (SB 392) that would allow a 75 mph speed limit on some highways and also boost speeds on other roads. Brandes said the idea is to adjust speed limits on interstates and certain rural highway to accurately reflect what most motorists are already driving.

“If people are driving within rates they’re comfortable with, we need to adjust the minimum and maximums speeds to what 85 percent of people are already driving,” Brandes said. “That’s what this bill would allow.”

The proposal would direct the state Department of Transportation to determine the safe minimum and maximum speed limits on all divided highways that have least four lanes.

The DOT would then be able to increase travel on the state’s “limited access highways” to 75 mph and raise the maximum posted limit on divided four-lane highways in sparsely populated rural areas from 65 mph to 70 mph. The DOT could also hike speeds by 5 mph, to 65 mph, on other roads they deem safe.

http://www.northescambia.com/2013/11/floridas-highway-speed-limit-may-increase-to-75-mph
    Wonder if the Federal Government will treat this like the 18 yoa right to drink proposals...go ahead and change the laws (speed limit) but don't expect Federal Funding for highway projects...has there been anything whether they'd support or oppose this?....
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates? Speed limits may change!   Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates?  Speed limits may change! EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 8:11 am

Man - I don't really want to slow down to 75 mph!!!!!
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates? Speed limits may change!   Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates?  Speed limits may change! EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 8:16 am

nochain wrote:
Especially on I-10 East!!!!!....HATE that long boring drive...gotta speed just to get through with it quicker...
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates? Speed limits may change!   Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates?  Speed limits may change! EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 9:53 am

mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:
      Especially on I-10 East!!!!!....HATE that long boring drive...gotta speed just to get through with it quicker...
I know, I have a meeting in Chipley this week and that 2 hours each way is a real sleeper. Not even any good BBQ joints (at least that I know of) for lunch on that stretch of pine trees.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates? Speed limits may change!   Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates?  Speed limits may change! EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:16 am

mediawatcher wrote:
Wonder if the Federal Government will treat this like the 18 yoa right to drink proposals...go ahead and change the laws (speed limit) but don't expect Federal Funding for highway projects...has there been anything whether they'd support or oppose this?....
Withholding Federal Highway Funds is a sore point with me.  The Feds threaten to do this shit all the time.  I disagree with this Federalism.

States have been forced to kowtow to (incomplete listing):

Federal Interstate speed limits (including the Jimmy Carter drive 55 campaign),

Mandatory seat belt usage,

Lower blood alcohol limits,

Signage on public mass transit,

National ID cards (drivers license hassles mostly),

How to issue state construction contracts,

Control dust in the air,

Standardized school testing,

And Open containers in vehicles.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates? Speed limits may change!   Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates?  Speed limits may change! EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:29 am

Many states are now asserting their sovereignty under the tenth amendment.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/2009/02/07/states-asserting-their-sovereignty/
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates? Speed limits may change!   Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates?  Speed limits may change! EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:37 am

As an example, Arizona declared:

1. That the State of Arizona hereby claims sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States over all powers not otherwise enumerated and granted to the federal government by the Constitution of the United States.

2. That this Resolution serves as notice and demand to the federal government, as our agent, to cease and desist, effective immediately, mandates that are beyond the scope of these constitutionally delegated powers.

3. That all compulsory federal legislation that directs states to comply under threat of civil or criminal penalties or sanctions or requires states to pass legislation or lose federal funding be prohibited or repealed.

4. That the Secretary of State of the State of Arizona transmit copies of this resolution to the President of the United States, the President of the United States Senate, the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate of each state’s legislature and each Member of Congress from the State of Arizona.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates? Speed limits may change!   Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates?  Speed limits may change! EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 7:17 am

Eric wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
Withholding Federal Highway Funds is a sore point with me.  The Feds threaten to do this shit all the time.  I disagree with this Federalism.

States have been forced to kowtow to (incomplete listing):

Federal Interstate speed limits (including the Jimmy Carter drive 55 campaign),

Mandatory seat belt usage,

Lower blood alcohol limits,

Signage on public mass transit,

National ID cards (drivers license hassles mostly),

How to issue state construction contracts,

Control dust in the air,

Standardized school testing,

And Open containers in vehicles.
Agree and when they control the purse strings....they get what they want...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates? Speed limits may change!   Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates?  Speed limits may change! EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 12:10 pm

The states need to say "enough is enough" and stand up to this crap.

I'm surprised the SCOTUS hasn't heard a case on this.

Edit: The items the Federal Government want the states to enforce are all well and good, but the Federal Government is overstepping it's mandate.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates? Speed limits may change!   Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates?  Speed limits may change! EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Eric wrote:

Edit:  The items the Federal Government want the states to enforce are all well and good, but the Federal Government is overstepping it's mandate.
One thing that always irritates me are unfunded federal mandates with costs passed along to states..........
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates? Speed limits may change!   Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates?  Speed limits may change! EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 6:57 am

nochain wrote:
Eric wrote:

Edit:  The items the Federal Government want the states to enforce are all well and good, but the Federal Government is overstepping it's mandate.
One thing that always irritates me are unfunded federal mandates with costs passed along to states..........
Also as CEO's of a state....Governors are mandated to pass balanced budgets and somehow the Feds aren't????....If budgets were mandated that would force at least negotiations and compromise....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates? Speed limits may change!   Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates?  Speed limits may change! Empty

Back to top Go down

Drive 75 on Florida's Interstates? Speed limits may change!
Page 1 of 1