Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fire at the Park by my house

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

Fire at the Park by my house Empty
PostSubject: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 7:14 am

I took this picture and posted on the PNJ Facebook page.  Talked with the reporter and this is the result.  I think he did a great job. What say You?
http://www.pnj.com/article/20131022/NEWS01/310220023/Fires-West-Pensacola-park-damage-playground
Fire at the Park by my house Bilde?Site=DP&Date=20131022&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=310220023&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Fires-West-Pensacola-park-damage-playground

Two fires within two weeks have left charred surfaces and mounting expenses at a popular West Pensacola park.

Lexington Terrace Park, 700 S. Old Corry Field Road in Warrington, is a sprawling, green, 30-acre park with a playground, a community center, a dog park and a series of walking paths.

The park was serene Monday afternoon, but just a few hours earlier firefighters were at the park extinguishing a small electrical fire. The fire was put out quickly and caused very little damage beyond some charring of a pole and some of the rubberized surface of the playground, Escambia County Fire and Rescue said.

An Oct. 9 fire was far more destructive however, causing $50,000 worth of damage to the park’s rubberized fall surfaces and playground climbing netting, said Michael Rhodes, Escambia County Parks and Recreation Department director. The blaze happened overnight, and Rhodes said it appears the fire was not set intentionally.

“The park hours are from sunup to sundown, but folks are using grills and sometimes ashes will smolder late into the evening,” Rhodes said.

The park is located just minutes from Warrington Middle School and is highly utilized by families and children in the area. Although both fires happened at a time when there was little visitation at the park, neighborhood resident Paul Gillette said the recurring nature of the fires is troubling.

Gillette sent a picture of Monday’s blaze to the Pensacola News Journal and said that it was not the first time he had seen fires at the park. He said he has seen fires burning in trashcans around the area intermittently for nearly a year, and he think they are the work of vandals who are growing bolder with each blaze.

“What’s scary is they are very active. You see a pattern,” Gillette said.

Rhodes said that he was not aware of any vandalism of park trash cans or additional fires, but that public assistance was vital in curbing disturbances at any public park.

“Most times, we aren’t aware of issues that happen after regular park hours unless the public makes us aware.” he said. “If anyone sees drugs, graffiti or vandalism in our parks, call 911 and ask for immediate help.”
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 7:59 am

Good job HM.. When is the next bike ride thru Navy Point??
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 8:10 am

Soon Maybe this week. Need to check with my Boss. LOL
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 8:11 am

Sounds good to me....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 8:38 am

Why do you keep setting the fires, man?Fire at the Park by my house 114
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 8:47 am

He's just trying to roast some hot dogs and marshmallows.. LOL
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 8:48 am

LOL Publicity!!!! And I ran out of trash cans. They had some real nice wooden ones and they burned them down, Park folks replaced them then they burned those down!!!!. Now they use 55 gallon drums. I bet some scrap head will soon steal those.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 8:58 am

That rubber material... those ground-up tires? That outta burn real good!

Y'know, they found out that using a bunch of treated 4 x 4s to build playground equipment looked good and lasted a long time. Only thing is, they leach out arsenic into the soil.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 9:03 am

Yes on the 4 X 4s They just rebuilt a park because of that. I think North Escambia cover it
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 3:00 pm

Hey, I think they want you to call the fire department when you see that Sparky has set the park on fire, man. bom 

I'm confooosed about something, HG... Help me out.

The article said that this was a "small electrical fire," but I'm scratching my head wondering what on earth could or should be electrical in the middle of a kid's playground. Also, what is the upright structure that looks like fake rocks or something that's just to the right of the fire?

I know that none of this likely matters to anyone else, but my brain deals with details. Details, details!! lol

XO,
Ricecakes
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 4:00 pm

You got it right. There is not any electrical in the playground area He was quoting what the Park people told him. It is a climbing rock with a openiing in it. I think it might be make of fiberglass. Not sure but I will check tomorrow, Someone likes to burn things. I bitch about the PNJ all the time but this reporter did a good job,. He seemed to be a good guy and was fun to talk to. Might ask some of you to send him a thank you email I will post his link as soon as I find it(again)
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 5:24 pm

I thought about the electrical fire source too.  I just assumed that there was some kind of recessed electrical box for lighting... but... DUH... the park is closed at night.

There would be no need for fancy spotlights if the park is closed at night.[hg]

HG, I just HAD to change the title of the thread from ny house to my house.

Last edited by Eric on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 5:29 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:
You got it right.  There is not any electrical in the playground area He was quoting what the Park people told him.  It is a climbing rock with a openiing in it.  I think it might be make of fiberglass.  Not sure but I will check tomorrow,  Someone likes to burn things.  I bitch about the PNJ all the time but this reporter did a good job,. He seemed to be a good guy and was fun to talk to.  Might ask some of you to send him a thank you email  I will post his link as soon as I find it(again)
Roger that.

I think those artificial climbing rock thingies are indeed made of fiberglass, and as we all know, fiberglass lovvves to burn!

I would be happy to send him a thank you note if you give us his email address. sunny 
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 5:32 pm

Censorship!!!!! I thought this was a open forum!!!LOL Thanks "n" or "m" next you will be telling me to mind my "p" and "q"s....................Thanks:cheers: 
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 5:36 pm

krobinson4@pensacol.gannett.com ............Thanks in advance................
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 5:39 pm

We burned an old 16-foot fiberglass boat at my dad's marina. It was reduced to the fiberglass cloth in about 10 minutes.

Man, that thing burned hot and put out a TON of black smoke.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 5:40 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:

Censorship!!!!!  I thought this was a open forum!!!LOL  Thanks  "n" or "m"  next you will be telling me to mind my "p" and "q"s....................Thanks:cheers: 
Whip me.

Beat me.

Call me Edna.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 6:21 pm

All in fun. I hope you know I was just joking. Thanks for all you do.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Eric wrote:

Whip me.

Beat me.

Call me Edna.
I have said that a bunch of times in jest, but never knew what it meant. One internet site said it was from an episode of Police Squad with Leslie Neilson.

I did find this YouTube video with that name, but the first 30 seconds didn't impress me.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fire at the Park by my house   Fire at the Park by my house Empty

Back to top Go down

Fire at the Park by my house
Page 1 of 1