Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Shhhh.....Disability

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SheSurfs

PostSubject: Shhhh.....Disability   Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:02 pm

In the doctor's office today, I overheard two people chatting. One was convincing the other, a perfect stranger, that he should forgo looking for a job and try to go for Social Security disability as it would give him a check and medical care.

So I went home and started reading. Disability is becoming the new welfare and many states are paying private companies to dig through rejected cases to have individuals try again to receive it. With changes in welfare policies under the Clinton administration, people were not necessarily cut off from welfare, the financial onus was simply shifted to the states. So private companies have sprung up and awarded state contracts to help people with denied claims become approved so they are lifted off the state rolls and put back on the federal budgets....and also erased from unemployment numbers.

Some facts:

1 in 5 people in the US are disabled. 9% of working age people in West Virginia receive disability checks. AK, HI and UT are the lowest at 2.9%.

In some place, often where large employers have folded, one in four are receiving SS disability checks.

14 Million people a month get a SS disability check.

When a lawyer takes on a disability case, fees come from any back pay the claimant awarded. The lawyers receive their payments in the form of checks directly from the Social Security Administration.

The government spends more money each paying disabled former workers than it spends on food stamps and welfare combined.

Working age people on disability are not included in unemployment numbers.
disability has also become a de facto welfare program for people without a lot of education or job skills.

If you are on disability you make $13K a year plus medical. If you make minimum wage, you make $15K with no guarantee of health insurance.

Applications have doubled since 1985.

Once you are on disability, there is no deadline to end it, no real oversight to ensure you continue to be disabled.

If teenagers who are succeeding in education and training, but labeled as disabled, want to get a job, they surrender their disability payments. As such, parents dissuade their children from working.

In the early 1970s, about 30K children were on SS disability. Now the number is 1.3 Million.

The budget allocates approximately $125 Billion for 2013.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:10 pm

It's out of control. It needs to be fixed without hurting those who are truly disabled. But how?
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:44 pm

nekochan wrote:
It's out of control. It needs to be fixed without hurting those who are truly disabled. But how?

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:28 pm

SheSurfs wrote:
nekochan wrote:

Exactly.

Amen, sisters! I have a friend who is truly disabled and it has become incredibly difficult -- because of abuse of the system -- for him to get the benefits that he so badly needs. People who abuse this -- and other -- systems such as this should be ashamed of themselves. In a lot of people's minds they make a bad name for a whole population of people... sort of like women who make (truly) false rape claims. It hurts every single one of us to an exponential power every time such a case is uncovered.
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:08 pm

My wife's family has some freeloaders in it... a bunch of them. We don't see them much, but we can't figure out how in hell they qualified for disability. It makes family get togethers pretty tense because of it. Yeah, we don't like it either.

Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:15 am

I called them about a 100% disabled neighbor that was climbing trees and cutting up firewood with his "bad back".. They said "Our job is to sign them up for it, not get them off of it". Both hubby and wife were on 100% social security disability.. They refused to give me a name or number to call to complain about it....
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:29 am

SheSurfs wrote:
Social Security disability as it would give him a check and medical care.

According to the rules and regulations one must be on SSDI for 24 months before they start receiving Medicare.

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:07 pm

That's right, Ghost, but before that they will get Medicaid. If they paid enough into the system for Medicare, they will get it after 24 months on Medicaid.

Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:30 pm

AuntieChrist wrote:
That's right, Ghost, but before that they will get Medicaid. If they paid enough into the system for Medicare, they will get it after 24 months on Medicaid.

Sorry, did not know about Medicaid...................

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:41 am

As I've written before, I was on SSDI for several years due to a neurological disorder that affected me physically, so I can tell you all about the process.

I was unable to get Medicaid here in Florida even though I was on SSDI because A.) I was single and had no children and B.) I owned my own home (even though I didn't own it free and clear at that time.)

Perhaps the parameters for Medicaid have changed in the 14 years since I applied.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Melissa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:52 am

Jake92 wrote:
I called them about a 100% disabled neighbor that was climbing trees and cutting up firewood with his "bad back".. They said "Our job is to sign them up for it, not get them off of it". Both hubby and wife were on 100% social security disability.. They refused to give me a name or number to call to complain about it....

Jake, there are some people who are on SSDI due to so-called "invisible" diseases such as multiple sclerosis or a serious psychological disorder (bipolar, schizophrenia, etc.) These people may not LOOK disabled, and may even be able to climb trees and cut firewood now and then, but they simply cannot work for whatever reason. I would never have thought that would happen to me, but by golly it did back around '99.

What blows my mind is the people who stay on SSDI just because they CAN rather than trying to get better and eventually return to the work force.

Then sometimes, when I'm feeling particularly sorry for myself and in the midst of an overwhelming pity party, I wish I could have been one of those who opted to stay on SSDI forever. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:04 am

I agree and know there are some that are on it for medical/psych reasons. They deserve it, but there are still a LOT of them getting it who are in better shape than the average person, just like there are a lot of people getting welfare who have more money than the average military member who is fighting their butt off in Afghanistan to protect them.
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:05 am

SSDI was created for people like PB. People with genuine disabilities. Not for people that have a minor injury and capitalize on it to get SSDI.

I have had back pain starting in high school, but have found jobs that don't require me to stand for long periods. I was told by many doctors that I need lumbar disc surgery, and the Army took their x-ray at my physical and said "We're through with you."

If someone can work around their disability, then they should... not apply for SSDI.

The numbers of people on SSDI these days is staggering! I get angry every time I see commercials where lawyers say they will fight to overturn your SSDI denial of claim... saying that they specialize in this.

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:27 am

Eric wrote:
SSDI was created for people like PB. People with genuine disabilities. Not for people that have a minor injury and capitalize on it to get SSDI.

I have had back pain starting in high school, but have found jobs that don't require me to stand for long periods. I was told by many doctors that I need lumbar disc surgery, and the Army took their x-ray at my physical and said "We're through with you."

If someone can work around their disability, then they should... not apply for SSDI.

The numbers of people on SSDI these days is staggering! I get angry every time I see commercials where lawyers say they will fight to overturn your SSDI denial of claim... saying that they specialize in this.

Exactly. I've been advised by both Orthopaedic Surgeons and Primary Care Physicians on many occasions that I very clearly qualify for disability because of my knee/tibia/hip/back CF, and I don't doubt that I do. That don't mean I'm going to apply for it unless things take a very serious turn for the worse.

It hurts my knee/tibia/hip/back a LOT to sit OR stand for any period of time. When I worked at the GE factory in Pensacola I had my office set up with a regular sitting-type desk and a draftsman's table behind that so that I could stand and work from there and switch-off as needed. That was a great set-up for me.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:00 pm

The husband and wife I talked about both stood around bragging how they got over on Social Security. 15-20 yrs ago, I read in Readers Digest where MOST Pensacola City firefighters retire on disability. The story went on how they all used the same lawyer and went thru the same judge who basically signed off on the claim and awarded them 100% disability.. MOST of them didn't deserve it and are just cheating the taxpayers!!
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Jake92 wrote:
The husband and wife I talked about both stood around bragging how they got over on Social Security. 15-20 yrs ago, I read in Readers Digest where MOST Pensacola City firefighters retire on disability. The story went on how they all used the same lawyer and went thru the same judge who basically signed off on the claim and awarded them 100% disability.. MOST of them didn't deserve it and are just cheating the taxpayers!!

THAT ought-a get T-Rex to make a post or two...

Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:20 pm

That was 15-20 yrs ago..... I have no idea who the lawyer and judge were..
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:23 am

Eric wrote:
Jake92 wrote:

THAT ought-a get T-Rex to make a post or two...

He's not a Pensacola City Firefighter, and will no doubt be just as pissed as the rest of us about people who abuse the system if/when he reads this thread, or possibly moreso about the firefighters... It's those bad apples who make a bad name for everyone... the best of the best, included. My dad went through the same thing, and I had to listen to kids talk about it at school. It sucked.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:43 am

Eric wrote:

Thanks, Eric. Yes, I needed it back then. I wanted to work, but I couldn't. Also, I was so devastated by being unable to work - and by being told I would never again be able to maintain gainful employment - that I went through an extended period of depression (I've written about this before.) Talk about your general soul-destroying experience.

That said, I feel the need to warn anyone who is on SSDI that there can be serious consequences for opting to return to work. SSDI made my life a living hell for the first two or three years while I was trying to work part-time, despite their much-lauded "Ticket to Work" program. It is a cruel and frightening transition that often chases the SSDI recipient right back to living on SSDI rather than even trying to return to work. THIS is the reality that needs to be reformed! If SSDI supported people who are making the attempt to work rather than doing everything they can to keep that person down, I think many more SSDI recipients would be willing to try to return to the work force.

Pardon my soapbox ramblings, please. After all, it is nearly 0300 in the morning.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 am

I am glad you brought this up, PB. It is my understanding that you are very restricted in being allowed to work if you are on disability. I understand the reasoning, sort of--that if you're able to work, you shouldn't be on disability. It kind of makes sense until you take into account that many people are able and WILLING to work, but they cannot handle the type of work or hours of work that they did before they became disabled. It's a vicious system where I think the intent is good but the result is not so good.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:36 pm

nekochan wrote:
I am glad you brought this up, PB. It is my understanding that you are very restricted in being allowed to work if you are on disability. I understand the reasoning, sort of--that if you're able to work, you shouldn't be on disability. It kind of makes sense until you take into account that many people are able and WILLING to work, but they cannot handle the type of work or hours of work that they did before they became disabled. It's a vicious system where I think the intent is good but the result is not so good.

So true, Neko.

When I first returned to work, I was able to work only one day per week. That one day wore me out, but I was so happy to be working again. However, due to my relatively high hourly pay, there were months when I went minimally over the allotted $810.00. That usually occurred when I had to work an hour or so over on my shift. SSDI used that fact to try to declare me not disabled, even though I was doing everything right and participating in the Ticket to Work program. In short, they considered only my income and not my medical condition.

They forced me to fill out reams of paperwork about every two months as well as undergo reviews of my condition done by physical therapists. Every time I underwent a review, I was deemed too disabled to work, even though I was working. The condition I had (and still have, though I have learned over the years to work around it) is, as of August 2012, now considered a "compassionate allowance" right up there with end stage cancer and AIDS. In other words, applicants will receive SSDI on their first application, just as I did.

I know many people who are on SSDI and working. Most are obsessive about the hours they work and the money they make. They know exactly how much they are allowed to make, and they work to the limit but not over. Others work under the table and don't report their income to SSDI. Unfortunately for me, I was not that careful, and I was most certainly naive. Somehow I thought SSDI really wanted people to return to work. Now I know that if a person exceeds the limit even one time, they will become a target of SSDI's enforcement arm (even though they say it doesn't exist.) Evil or Very Mad Believe me when I say they are much worse and even more intrusive than the IRS!

In a nutshell, that's why so many people who are on SSDI don't even try to return to work. The word is now out that SSDI will try to ruin your life if you dare try to get out from under their leaky umbrella.

P.S. - I am so glad I am off SSDI now. They can no longer control my life, and that feels soooo good.

Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:05 pm

I also want to make people aware that SSDI is in no way comparable to SSI.

If a person on SSI (welfare) works over the SSI limit, that overage is simply deducted from their next SSI paycheck. If a person on SSDI (disability) works over the SSDI limit, even if it is just a dollar over, that person loses the entire month's check. The person is required to send that month's check back to SSDI after they receive it.

Also, I was on SSDI for several years before I learned that monthly prescription cost can be deducted from the limit a person can make each month. When I tried to go back to SSDI and provide proof of my prior prescription costs in order to reverse the holding of several of my monthly checks because I had gone slightly over the limit (we're talking $100.00 or less), I was ignored. My case manager at the local SSDI center told me she knew nothing about this deduction, even though a brochure explaining the deduction had been sent to all SSDI recipients that particular month. I never received a decision pertaining to my query, although I requested an administrative review in writing several times.

SSDI is a capricious, sick system that is riddled with incompetent staff. There is never consistent agreement, even among case managers and supervisors.

Again, I am glad I am through with them!

Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:51 pm

PB: Please check your email. Thank you!!
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:02 am

riceme wrote:

Done and done. Cool
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:13 am

PBulldog2 wrote:
riceme wrote:

Done and done. Cool

Gracias, and back atchya!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shhhh.....Disability   

Back to top Go down

Shhhh.....Disability
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Politics-
Jump to: