Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Pope Chosen

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

New Pope Chosen Empty
PostSubject: New Pope Chosen   New Pope Chosen EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 1:50 pm

The Cardinals have chosen a new Pope to replace Benedict. White smoke was seen rising from the Vatican earlier. News channels are currently waiting on the Pope to make his first visit on the balcony.

Now I have a question for any and all of the Catholics here and believe me I am in no way disparaging your choice of religion. I would like to know the fascination as to why people will travel from the world over to the Vatican and await the results of the election process? Seems to me that it would be more comfortable watching it at home since all major networks carry it live and a hell of a lot cheaper.

So please do not take this as a diss against Catholicism.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

New Pope Chosen Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Pope Chosen   New Pope Chosen EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 2:03 pm

Ahh, "What is wrong with this picture?"

New Pope Chosen GoogleNewsFeedSNAFU
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

New Pope Chosen Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Pope Chosen   New Pope Chosen EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina elected pope

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/on-day-2-of-papal-conclave-alliances-should-take-shape/2013/03/13/5d88b616-8bba-11e2-9838-d62f083ba93f_story.html
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

New Pope Chosen Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Pope Chosen   New Pope Chosen EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 5:47 pm

Ghost_Rider1949 wrote:
The Cardinals have chosen a new Pope to replace Benedict. White smoke was seen rising from the Vatican earlier. News channels are currently waiting on the Pope to make his first visit on the balcony.

Now I have a question for any and all of the Catholics here and believe me I am in no way disparaging your choice of religion. I would like to know the fascination as to why people will travel from the world over to the Vatican and await the results of the election process? Seems to me that it would be more comfortable watching it at home since all major networks carry it live and a hell of a lot cheaper.

So please do not take this as a diss against Catholicism.

I'm Catholic and wasn't offended in the least. To answer your question, GR, I guess they're there just to be close to the process... and to be able to say that they were in St. Peter's Square when the new pope was selected, I dunno.

I was in Auburn visiting relatives when Pat Sullivan won the Heisman trophy and I still remember the first-hand excitement that ensued... and the toilet paper at Toomer's Corner, lol.

So, I guess that people are there for the excitement, to be in an Old World city during a special moment.

We took our youth group to Rome for World Youth Day in 2000. There was a large gathering at a university field called Tor Vergada... and there were 2,000,000 people, kids and chaperones, there. That was memorable.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

New Pope Chosen Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Pope Chosen   New Pope Chosen EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 5:54 pm

Eric wrote:

I'm Catholic and wasn't offended in the least. To answer your question, GR, I guess they're there just to be close to the process... and to be able to say that they were in St. Peter's Square when the new pope was selected, I dunno.

I was in Auburn visiting relatives when Pat Sullivan won the Heisman trophy and I still remember the first-hand excitement that ensued... and the toilet paper at Toomer's Corner, lol.

So, I guess that people are there for the excitement, to be in an Old World city during a special moment.

We took our youth group to Rome for World Youth Day in 2000. There was a large gathering at a university field called Tor Vergada... and there were 2,000,000 people, kids and chaperones, there. That was memorable.

Thanks Eric. I have since learned from listening to and watching the news that a large majority of the visitors to St Peter's Square already had trips planned to Rome and just by coincidence happen to be in the right place at the right time.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

New Pope Chosen Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Pope Chosen   New Pope Chosen EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 6:41 pm

GR, everybody knows that the Catholic Church has a lot of problems.

You don't have to act like you are walking on eggs, here. As long as discussions are civil and respectful of other posters, there is no reason why we cannot discuss controversial topics.

Here's what 2 million people in a field looks like. Obviously, I couldn't take a pic of ALL of them, lol. That stage in the distance is two football fields wide.

New Pope Chosen Rome2010

New Pope Chosen Torver10
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

New Pope Chosen Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Pope Chosen   New Pope Chosen EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Eric wrote:
GR,everybody knows that the Catholic Church has a lot of problems.

What organized religion doesn't?
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

New Pope Chosen Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Pope Chosen   New Pope Chosen EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 9:59 am

I learned the details of choosing a new Pope when I read Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth series. It was in the second book, if I recall.

Although the books are fiction, Follett goes into great detail about the Conclave, the smoke, the entire process. The fact that the process remains the same after a millenium has passed is amazing to me.

It has to be a memorable and exciting moment in the lives of Catholics, or anyone outside in the audience for that matter, when they see those first wisps of white smoke rising!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com

New Pope Chosen Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Pope Chosen   New Pope Chosen EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 10:05 am

I am not a Catholic, but I like tradition and ceremony. I guess it's kind of comforting to know that some things can be counted on regardless of how crazy the world seems.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

New Pope Chosen Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Pope Chosen   New Pope Chosen EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 2:23 pm

nekochan wrote:
I am not a Catholic, but I like tradition and ceremony. I guess it's kind of comforting to know that some things can be counted on regardless of how crazy the world seems.

I feel the same way, Neko.
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

New Pope Chosen Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Pope Chosen   New Pope Chosen EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 4:56 pm

Working out in the gym today i had quite an experience. This guy has been in a few times, hard worker does CORE, i respect that, so for the last few times i had noticed he had a tattoo on the back of both of his arms. It is in greek and knowing koine greek i could read it. It said on one arm"spirit" on the other "truth". So today i finally asked him.

He came over and quietly said you dont know greek for nothing. I told him no that i had i studied greek when i studied theology. He knew of my professors, then he said do you go to church? I said no i am a pantheist now, i believe as the First People, of the Great Spirit and the Cycle of life the sacredness of all the world. I asked him did he go to church. He said he did not either,

Then he said you will understand and recited this story. It was quite poignant considering we were both training. We traded phone numbers and are meeting next week to talk,

This is the story and the meaning of his tats: SPIRIT AND TRUTH...so this i share as he did....

The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.
20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship; for salvation is of the Jews.
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Pope Chosen Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Pope Chosen   New Pope Chosen Empty

Back to top Go down

New Pope Chosen
Page 1 of 1