Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Get "Served" on Facebook, Twitter?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Get "Served" on Facebook, Twitter? Empty
PostSubject: Get "Served" on Facebook, Twitter?   Get "Served" on Facebook, Twitter? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 2:52 pm

This is stupid. I don't check Facebook unless I am really bored. Sometimes, it is months between Facebook logins. Already a law in other states, including New York... and Texas might follow suit.

http://www.dailydot.com/news/serving-legal-documents-facebook-texas-law/

Quote :

Facebook’s good for lots of things, but “communicating with people who are not your official Facebook friends” isn’t one of them.

The company charges fees to send a message to a stranger’s real inbox, and shunts unpaid messages—even very important ones—into a little-known spam folder instead.

Such difficulties haven’t stopped Texas state representative Jeff Leach (R-Plano) from proposing a bill that would allow sheriffs, process servers and other legal entities the right to serve legal papers over social media accounts.

So if you’re in Texas and you’re being sued, your spouse wants a divorce, your car’s been repoed, or you’re facing any of a thousand other civil issues, a tweet, Facebook message or comment on your blog might count as legal notice, if House Bill 1989 becomes law. (And woe unto you if you skip out on a court date because you never saw the notice ordering you there in the first place!)

If the bill is approved, serving notice through social media will be legally acceptable as long as the defendant has (and regularly checks) a social media profile—and as long as the profile actually belongs to the correct defendant.

This has the potential for multiple problems. Facebook messages, tweets or blog comments aren’t always seen by their recipients—especially if they’re not official “friends” or “followers.” But as long as a judge finds that you reasonably should have seen the message, you’ll be considered properly served. But unless the person serving you pays Facebook a dollar, or gets you to accept a friend request, that legal notice could be sucked into your “other” folder, never to be seen.

Even if you do see the legal notice on your Facebook wall or on Twitter, chances are others in your social media circle will see it as well. It’s one thing for you and your landlord to dicker in court over the fate of your security deposit, but should the law inform all your Facebook friends and Twitter followers of the proceedings?

Other states, including New York, allow service of process via Facebook, but the complications of finding the correct defendant online have already led to a federal court case.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Get "Served" on Facebook, Twitter?   Get "Served" on Facebook, Twitter? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 3:01 pm

That's just dumb. Like you, I only log onto my FB account if I'm bored, and sometimes it's only every 2 or 3 months.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Get "Served" on Facebook, Twitter?   Get "Served" on Facebook, Twitter? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 3:08 pm

If I had trouble finding someone when I was a Health Inspector, we could post a Notice on their door to their residence and take a picture of it on the door... we could use that in court.

I think that the probability that someone would see a notice on their door was a lot greater than finding it in some obscure Facebook folder.

Also, what about privacy concerns? That sucks that your Facebook friends find out about you being sued... before you find out... if you EVER find out.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Get "Served" on Facebook, Twitter?   Get "Served" on Facebook, Twitter? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 4:48 pm

There is a security feature on facebook that lets you choose who can post on your wall.

Additionally laws are ALWAYS subject to judicial review.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Get "Served" on Facebook, Twitter?   Get "Served" on Facebook, Twitter? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Yup, only my "Friends" are allowed to post on my wall.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Get "Served" on Facebook, Twitter?   Get "Served" on Facebook, Twitter? Empty

Back to top Go down

Get "Served" on Facebook, Twitter?
Page 1 of 1