Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH

Go down 
+5
riceme
Eric
AuntieChrist
Jake92
Surfnrg
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH Empty
PostSubject: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 7:51 pm

http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2013/03/comet-panstarrs-to-be-visible-in-nighttime-sky-later-this-month/

The panstarrs comet should be visible Thursday at sunset. A plus one

Good time to Be on an unobstructed beach. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 8:30 pm

Hopefully it's not too lit up on the beach.. Maybe between PB and Navarre OR Ft Pickins would be better..
Back to top Go down
AuntieChrist

AuntieChrist

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 8:36 pm

Got go see this and will bring my binoculars. Thanks for the heads up, 3w!
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 8:38 pm

Jake92 wrote:
Hopefully it's not too lit up on the beach.. Maybe between PB and Navarre OR Ft Pickins would be better..

If you have a night owl pass johnsons beach or one of the first public parking lots on gulf beach OOPS

I mean perdido key lol
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 5:47 pm

whowherewhy wrote:
Jake92 wrote:

If you have a night owl pass johnsons beach or one of the first public parking lots on gulf beach OOPS

I mean perdido key lol

Now they want it to be called Perdido Key Beach...

Thanks SO MUCH for the heads-up. I'm gonna bring the tripod and a 300mm lens. If I get a pic that's worth a hoot, I'll post it.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 6:06 pm

Wow that thing was MOVING! I would love to know its speed!!

Out of my field of view i got about 10 minutes just awesome

What a trail!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:59 pm

I keep trying to view the comet, but it has been cloudy. We're back in Hoover and we went to an overlook on Shades Mountain to see it yesterday. Too cloudy. I took a panoramic photo. This location has a great view of the Western sky.

[img]GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH IWmGFxN[/img]

We'll try again tonight, but I don't think it will be clear enough. That front that's currently raining on us seems to be moving too slow for it to clear out.
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Except for that first night which was perfect been too cloudy here too. It comes from the high northwest arount two o clock crosses the horizon from nothwest to southwest
Disappearing around 8 oclock to the south west
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Too cloudy tonight for Comet watching.

GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH 59TxM7c
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Beautiful sunset though!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 10:23 am

Finally found the Comet last night! Took a pic of it with a 300mm lens.

GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH Image210
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:07 am

It looks like tonight will be a good night to look for it!!!!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:20 am

Man, that's a noisy image. Here it is with the digital noise removed...

GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH Image211
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 12:34 pm

AWESOME, EE!!! So glad you got to see it!! Thanks for sharing, brother!

Wink
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 6:34 pm

Great shot!
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 6:55 am

yella and I went to the entrance to chicken bone beach parking lot (the last parking lot before the ft. pickens gate) last night. It appeared to be a really good vantage point. There was very little artificial light and a clear view to the western horizon.
We tried our best to see it with binoculars but no luck.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:29 am

You gotta be there just after sunset. Look for the moon. It is just a sliver. The comet is just to the left of the moon and slightly above it. Low in the Western sky.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:30 am

Love it!
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 11:26 am

Eric wrote:
You gotta be there just after sunset. Look for the moon. It is just a sliver. The comet is just to the left of the moon and slightly above it. Low in the Western sky.

The sliver of Moon was very visible. We looked all around it but our old eyes are just not what they used to be. lol
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 11:33 am

But I can say this. That was maybe the best spot I have ever been in to watch the sun set. And I saw something I've never seen before. When you're in a spot that has a clear view to the horizon in both directions, if at the time of sunset, you look back to the east, it is pitch dark nightime in that direction. At the same time it's still very daylighty looking west. Just an amazing contrast between the two.
And we also got to see something I had never seen up close. Just as we pulled into the parking lot earlier, someone was pumping up an inflatable parasail. We watched him go through all the preparations and then go to beach and start sailing it. And he sailed it back and forth from the spot where we were. The wind was good and it was a spectacular show to watch.
What a great spot that is. You can see the lights of downtown just beyond the tip of the GB peninsula. And you can see the Bob Sikes bridge and the beach. And the far off western horizon where NAS is. And it was a perfectly clear night to see it all.
And to stop it off, there was a pickup truck full of drunk hell raising spring breakers in the parking lot watching it too. Made me yearn to be young again. lol
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 2:31 pm

I've watched a lot of sunsets from chickenbone beach, and I can testify that it is a damn fine spot to watch a sunset... I mean, if you can't be out on the water, right?

Next time get your butts out of the truck and go out onto the actual beach to watch the sun set properly. Take a cooler and some beers and do it right. Wink
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 3:04 pm

You had a great experience. Many who live here have never made that magic connection with nature and the beach.
Now try to go back in your mind and try to think what it would have been like with no buildings, no paved road, no lights, just the bare naked of beauty of the beach with sounds of the wind and rhythmic sounds from the surf. Just you and one of the most awesome sights in the universe.

It was all like that at one time.........................
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 3:13 pm

I have a vivid memory of my long ago youth of being on what is now the national seashore property at night. It was the mid to late 1960's and it was a crystal clear night. I was about halfway between p'cola beach and navarre beach. I looked up and the entire sky was filled with stars. Probably ten thousand percent more visible stars than I have ever seen before or since. And then it caught my eye. Almost due south I spotted this band of light coming up from the horizon and going across the sky all the way over and down to the northern horizon. It was very plainly visible. I had to do a double take to realize what I was looking at since I had never seen it before. And then it hit me that I was looking at the Milky Way. That I was actually seeing the galaxy we're in. It was the first and last time I've ever seen it.
One of the most awesome sights I've ever seen.
Back to top Go down
yelladawg

yelladawg

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Bob and I had a good time there at chicken bone beach inspite of missing the Comet, Gawd domet. Of course, the chicken bones were ankle deep but we waded through the damn things
Back to top Go down
http://warpedninblue.blogspot.com/
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 3:57 pm

yelladawg wrote:
Bob and I had a good time there at chicken bone beach inspite of missing the Comet, Gawd domet. Of course, the chicken bones were ankle deep but we waded through the damn things

Made hungry for some KFC. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH   GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH Empty

Back to top Go down

GOOD SUNSET TO BE ON THE. BEACH
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next