Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Problems with access to EDP

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Melissa
Admin

PostSubject: Problems with access to EDP   Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Eric, I've had one person contact me to say he can't get in via his prior password. Also, the system won't send him a password reset email.

Boards had this problem over at PDF, if I recall.

I had a hard time logging in today myself. I have my login set to auto, but all the info was gone. That may have something to do with the system I'm using.

Anybody else experiencing access problems today?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:34 pm

PBulldog2 wrote:

/...snip.../

Anybody else experiencing access problems today?

Not me, Mama Bulldog. I will let you know if I do experience any issues though.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:36 pm

I think I have the problem fixed. I'm waiting to hear from the person I mentioned.

AND....hubby just went off to pick up our new system. Yaaaay!!!!
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:15 pm

Oh, Roger that.

Hey, if you use FF (which I believe you do, if memory serves) and you go to Menu>>Options>>Security, there is a Passwords section. Tick the box that says "Remember passwords for sites" (you can control this with an "Exceptions" button to the right). Then when you forget or lose a password, simply go to above Security tab in your FF Options and at the bottom click on "Saved Passwords."

It will first only display the website and associated Username, and when you click on "Show Passwords" @bottom right, it will ask you to confirm you're certain you want them displayed. Click "Yes" and VIOLA!! All passwords you've ever entered into FF (save any that you've manually excluded, per above) will then be displayed.

If you go back one step to the Security tab, just to the right of the "Saved Passwords" button, you will find an "Import/Export Passwords" button where you will have the option to export to either a .xls (not useful to me) or .csv file, which I then convert to .xlsx (or .xls, whichever you use), but that's just my personal preference... .csv files work perfectly well.

I store these files on my external HD in the unlikely event that my POS laptop is ever stolen... not that it ever leaves the house.

So glad you're getting your new machine today! What Operating System does it run on? Windows 7??
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:17 pm

^^Above was not necessarily specifically for PB, but for anyone interested.

8']
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:19 pm

PBulldog2 wrote:
I think I have the problem fixed. I'm waiting to hear from the person I mentioned.

AND....hubby just went off to pick up our new system. Yaaaay!!!!

PB, was the person in question whowherewhat? If so I have already fixed it for him and he is not able to log on. He emailed me directly at ghost_rider1@cox.net

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:15 pm

Yep, that's who it was! I'm just glad you fixed it, Ghost. I was out of the loop this morning, but I'm back now and typing away on my brand, new keyboard.

YES! And Riceme, I sort of demanded Windows 7. The machine came loaded with Windows Vista, but the nice computer man loaded 7 for us, along with cloning our previous machine.

I absolutely did not want Windows 8. No way. I've read too many bad reviews.

Man, this keyboard is great.....it has doo-hickeys on it I haven't even figured out yet. Love it! I am one happy camper!

And Rice, I had all of my passwords saved on FF on my old machine. However, I was using a little NetBook for a couple of days and using Chrome, so that was that. Duh......!
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:07 pm

I am not aware of anybody else having problems besides the one user... and GR beat us to the punch replying. Thanks GR.

Ghost Rider
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Eric wrote:
I am not aware of anybody else having problems besides the one user... and GR beat us to the punch replying. Thanks GR.

No problem. He said that he was signed on earlier and went to the gym and when he returned he no longer could log on. In an email, he explained what happened, but I will leave it at that unless he wants to let yall know.

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Thanks for taking care of it! Could be user error

No i was not tip and typing lol
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:54 am

PB: So glad they got you all fixed-up, and he loaded you up with W7 and got rid of that awful, awful Vista for you! Argh! Talk about a bad OS! GEEZ!

Doggonit you lost all your passwords! Well hopefully you won't have trouble remembering any of them, and if you have either an external HD or even just a jump drive, I highly recommend backing them up externally for safe-keeping.

I have one of those neato ergonomic keyboards somewhere with my computer stuff in the basement/garage, but haven't used it since the last time my precious PC w/XP Professional was hooked-up. MAN I wish it was possible to wipe W7 and install XP Professional, but it is not. Dirty SOBs! Anyhow, those ergonomic keyboards take a little getting used to, but I LOVE them!

So glad you're back up and running, ladybug!

sunny

Oh hey... if he cloned your old machine, do you have your passwords saved in there somewhere?
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:21 am

My passwords magically reappeared when we got this cloned system. Very Happy It was such a relief not to lose everything I had on the old machine.

My old system had dual drives. The slave drive somehow got so hot is melted the plastic around it. My old machine's problems were worse than we thought.

I will abide by Eric's and Z's published routines for maintaining computers from now on!
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:54 am

PBulldog2 wrote:
My passwords magically reappeared when we got this cloned system. Very Happy It was such a relief not to lose everything I had on the old machine.

My old system had dual drives. The slave drive somehow got so hot is melted the plastic around it. My old machine's problems were worse than we thought.

I will abide by Eric's and Z's published routines for maintaining computers from now on!

PB, it is also a great idea to back up you computers hard drive. I have a Western Digital external hard drive and I back up my whole hard drive at least once a week and more if I install some important software. I have it partitioned for 2 separate computers, my desktop and my laptop.

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 pm

I keep a portable HD with the laptop, a W/D HD connected to the internet (via Pogoplug), a backup on a server, and a drive at my house in Pensacola.

Overkill, I know. But I would die if I lost my music and my pictures. (oh, and I have all my pics on my iPad too.) It won't hold all the music and audiobooks.

Melissa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Well, it looks like a WD hard drive will be our next investment! Thanks, Ghost and Eric.

The only thing we had backed up was our pictures. That was the most important thing to me. I have them on a stick (or whatever that little drive is called.)

I am not too savvy about hardware, though I'm learning. Slowly. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:25 pm

One of my portables is a Toshiba. I like it. Here's one:
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Basics-Portable-Drive/dp/B005J7YBRW/ref=lp_595048_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362503911&sr=1-3

Portables are made to carry around with you, and they get their power from the USB port.

You have to be specific when looking for an external HD, PB. This one is just an "External" drive, but it isn't made for moving around and does not get it's power from the USB... it needs a power plug. It still plugs into the USB though. I bought a very early external drive and it is dead. I suspect they are not as robust as a "portable" drive. If all you are going to do is add it to your desktop unit, I guess they are okay.
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STBV3000100/dp/B00834SJU8/ref=lp_595048_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1362503911&sr=1-5

Ghost Rider
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:42 pm

PBulldog2 wrote:
Well, it looks like a WD hard drive will be our next investment! Thanks, Ghost and Eric.

The only thing we had backed up was our pictures. That was the most important thing to me. I have them on a stick (or whatever that little drive is called.)

I am not too savvy about hardware, though I'm learning. Slowly. Very Happy

My WD Hard Drive is a USB connected device. When I say you cna back up your complete hard drive, I mean the whole kit and caboodle including the OS.

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:42 am

PBulldog2, just wanted to throw some other ideas out there for you. You might want to look into google drive. it is the easiest cloud storage to use that I have ever seen and you can purchase up to 16TB of data (not that you need that much). You download the app from google, install it, it puts a folder on your computer with the google drive icon, copy files to that folder and they are instantly uploaded to the cloud. The beauty of it is you can access the google drive from almost any device out there. I access mine from my Galaxy S2 phone, My nexus 7 tablet, all of my PC's, my work CPU, and the wifes Iphone. I only mention this as a safe place to store things like photos, documents, and other things you want to keep safe. External drives are great, you can disconnect them, take them with you, and lock em up in a safe but there is a draw back. If you buy a standard external drive it will be one that basically uses a regular SATA drive found in your computer or laptop. These drives have moving parts (the platters and pickup arms) and most spin at 7200RPM some at 10,000RPM. If you have it lets say sitting on the edge of a desk hooked up with power applied and it gets knocked over or gets knocked to the floor odds are you just destroyed the platters that hold all the data. I mention this because it happened to my boss, he had every last picture and video he took of his family on that drive and one of the kids knocked it to the floor from a desk. The drive was toast. He asked what I could do and I told him he needed to contact a company that could recover that data and no, data recovery software isn't going to work when the drive sounds like a blender mixing ball bearings, so he did. His wife was adamant about getting this done until she found out the cost, $3500 to fix it and retrieve the data. So in summary, NEVER NEVER NEVER have a single point failure backup plan. ALWAYS have multiple backups on multiple devices at multiple locations.

On the login issue, I have had it happen to me several times on multiple different browsers, it just randomly logs me out. It seems to be a forumotion problem with the site certificates used for secure logins, they seem to change quite often for some reason but I think what is happening is if you are logged in and it sets a cookie the cookie is for a specific security cert, they change the cert the cookie that kept you logged in becomes invalid hence you are logged out. I could be wrong but that is what has happened to me on multiple occasions.

One last note on passwords. I have hundreds, from server logins, router logins, bank accounts, online billing crap, website logins, you name it. Like everyone else I can not remember them all especially all the crazy ass ones Navy systems use. I bought a program called Ewallet years ago when I got an Iphone 3. What I love about this program is it works on an Iphone, Android phone, PC's, and Mac's and I can sync the passwords between all my devices so I can use it at home on the PC or on the road with my Droid. That was one of the main reasons I bought it, the other is the password file is encrypted with 256bit AES encryption so hacking it is virtually impossible. You have one master password you have to remember and that is it. I honestly keep every password, credit card numbers, pin numbers, families SS numbers, everything vital goes in that program.

Sorry for the long read, just wanted to throw in some ideas and info.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:39 am

Don't be sorry for giving us a long read, please. I appreciate all the information you have offered, both now and on other forums.

I am so glad you mentioned cloud storage. I started to bring it up the other day. Clumsy as I am, and with as many canine and feline members of the family we have, cloud storage would probably be best for us. I am going to check into the google drive storage right now. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:17 pm

OK, I'm all set up on Google Drive. It's going to take some playing with it to see how it works. Again, thanks Alecto!
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:30 pm

Call me paranoid, but I am leery of putting my precious data on someone else's drives. I'm not into money laundering, or drug trafficking, and I don't have valuable information that is proprietary to a business, so I don't have much reason to fret. If it is on someone else's drive, Uncle Sam can get to the info.

Google shares a lot of information with the Federal Gubment. And sometimes things happen like when Megaupload got shut down and everybody's data they stored there simply disappeared. Granted, Megaupload crossed the line and people were using it to pirate movies and such.

Google cloud had an interruption in service within the last week, if I remember that correctly, and that is beyond your control. Having stuff in the cloud is great, but I still recommend having more than one copy of your data as a backup.

Melissa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:13 pm

Eric, we plan to do both. Buying an external drive is something we can't do right now, but we do have our pictures on the thumb drive.

I'm not too worried about the google issues. I don't plan to put anything out there that would be problematic - mainly just personal pictures and things like that. I need to store them all in one place. The things that are important to me, but would probably bore someone else if they accessed it.

I remember when Kodak threatened to delete all the pictures of members if the members didn't pay a new fee. That was a disgusting and shallow move on Kodak's part. My niece had a ton of pictures on the Kodak site, so she wound up paying the fee one time and then moving all of her pictures. That was a mess!
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:31 pm

I just checked my password file that's encryped on my computer. I was looking for a photo service I used to use... one like that Kodak site. I uploaded a buttload of files, then they went to a pay service and only allowed the last 100 photos or something like that, to be viewed if you didn't pay them a monthly or yearly fee.

I didn't enter data for that site into my file. I cannot even remember the name of the web site.

No biggie. I have 7000 pics on my iPad, my laptop, and on 3 other hard drives.

It was a nice service while it lasted, though.

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Fixed login for 3W.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problems with access to EDP   

Back to top Go down

Problems with access to EDP
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Misc :: Admin Notes-
Jump to: