Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Yady

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Surfnrg

PostSubject: Yady   Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:51 am

Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:52 am

The dog was lady but my daughter could only say yady....

Utility dog titled sheltie
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:22 am

I love the mispronunciations that kids make.

My oldest boy used to call girls "girdles".

Jelly was called "jeldy".

Love was "wuv".

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:01 pm

Eric i looked for the "like" button!
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:22 pm

How sweet.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Sooo adorable!! Love it!

My youngest cousin, whom I was in charge of babysitting, could not pronounce my name (among many other things) and it came out "Mully." Her dad then began calling me "Muley" (as in "stubborn as a Mule"... ). Then as my cousin's speech progressed/changed she began calling me "Moley," which stuck... for LIFE. My entire family, and pretty much everyone in town still calls me Moley or simply Mole.

When I went up North to Humboldt State University, I thought I was finally going to rid myself of the nickname. I'd neglected to remember that two of my sisters were already in school up there. Upon my arrival I was greeted by all their friends (who became my friends as well), "MOLE! (or) MOLEY!!! Great to see you!! Welcome, little sis!" Argh! It doesn't bother me anymore.... hasn't in many years. But it's a heck of a nickname for a young lady, that's for sure! lol
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:13 pm

ROFL....is this a seinfeld episode?
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:35 pm

whowherewhy wrote:
Eric i looked for the "like" button!

That's over at the "other" forum where people are preoccupied with their reputation. Laughing

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:37 pm

riceme wrote:
Sooo adorable!! Love it!

My youngest cousin, whom I was in charge of babysitting, could not pronounce my name (among many other things) and it came out "Mully." Her dad then began calling me "Muley" (as in "stubborn as a Mule"... ). Then as my cousin's speech progressed/changed she began calling me "Moley," which stuck... for LIFE. My entire family, and pretty much everyone in town still calls me Moley or simply Mole.

When I went up North to Humboldt State University, I thought I was finally going to rid myself of the nickname. I'd neglected to remember that two of my sisters were already in school up there. Upon my arrival I was greeted by all their friends (who became my friends as well), "MOLE! (or) MOLEY!!! Great to see you!! Welcome, little sis!" Argh! It doesn't bother me anymore.... hasn't in many years. But it's a heck of a nickname for a young lady, that's for sure! lol

That's not even CLOSE to your name, lol.

I have a nephew named Justin. One of the kids couldn't pronounce his name and his name is "Nuttin" now.

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:34 pm

Eric wrote:

That's not even CLOSE to your name, lol.

I have a nephew named Justin. One of the kids couldn't pronounce his name and his name is "Nuttin" now.

I KNOW it's not!! lol!! She had trouble with a lot of words... Nightgown was nowtgown, chocolate was cholocolocolate, sandwich was sangawich, strawberry was strapio (???!!)... I can't even remember the rest of them, but all of them were pretty hilarious.

To this day, not a single member of my family -- and VERY few people in town -- refer to me by my given name. Virtually everyone refers to me either by Moley or Mole. One of my sisters calls me "Mole-Dog" for some reason. ?? lol. When I graduated from Humboldt, I had to tell them to announce my First Name, Middle Name "Moley" Last Name, otherwise no one would have known who the heck was walking up there to get her degrees. tongue

BTW: I *LOVE* "Nuttin.'" That's classic!!
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:41 pm

How 'bout "electwicity" for electricity....one of my all-time faves!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:58 pm

YUP! That one too... OH, and "hangaburger" for hamburger, which never fails to crack me up.

When we're among family, we often still use these words... undoubtedly we would sound like complete nuts to any outsider listening in! Suspect

Oh and for the record, I am not -- by FAR! -- the only family member with a hideous nickname or nicknames, all of which are still in-use today. We have in the family: a Bird, Scrabo Haney (pronounced "scray-bow" and a girl), Frog (girl), Spider-leg (girl, nicknamed because while she was blond, she had SUPER hairly legs from since she was about Cool, Purple Brown (also a girl), Jap (one of my sisters, awful nickname because she has almond shaped eyes),... a, umm, VERY unfortunate and unforeseen interpretation of my brother's given-name, which I can't say here because of his work and the extreme rarity of his first name, but trust me when I tell you that it is FILTHY and that DID NOT make my mom happy... AT ALL.

Shoot, we ALL have nicknames, but those are the not-so-flattering ones that come to mind at the moment. So, given above Mole, Moley and Muley are not bad at all. GEEZ, at least I didn't get nicknamed Scrabo Haney!

cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:31 pm

My daddy used to have nicknames for everyone. He just made names up. And it was not uncommon for him at address young men with terms like "sugar boy". I didn't think anything of it when I was growing up and it never seemed to bother anyone who knew my daddy. If it did, they didn't say anything, lol.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:40 am

What was your nickname, Neko? :-]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:07 pm

He called my mother Sam....I have no idea why, lol.
He'd sometimes called me Little Sam. And sometimes he'd call me other names. I wish I could remember more of them. His names for people could change from one day to the next. A lot of them were interchangeable like "sugar boy". He might call a lot of people that. But only my mother was "Sam".

Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:49 pm

When I worked on the golf course, an old half-toothless guy couldn't comprehend Ericson. He called me "Hurricane".

I have been called other things, but they were mainly things said in anger... lol.

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Neko, I like "Little Sam" ... pretty cute, and NOWHERE EVEN *CLOSE* to ANY of your names! lol... Too funny.

EE: One of my sisters' nicknames (she has several, and I've found this one to be most apropos) is Hurricane Heidi*, because when she rolls in it's like a damn Cat5 has hit! lol.

bom

Oh, I just remembered... The only truly affectionate nickname I have is "Peanut," which is what my mama has called me since I was a little girl. She also calls me Mole and Moley, but when she's being super-sweet to me, she refers to me as Peanut, which no one else calls me but her. It always warms my heart when she calls me that... It's like our special thing, and she has no like affectionate nicknames for any of the other kids.

I I love you my mama!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:53 pm

Sam is not close to my mother's name either!

Eric, that is too funny. My dad had an old Northwest Florida accent that I do not hear nowadays. He pronounced a lot of things differently than some people have ever heard. For example, for hurricane, he said something that sounds like hurrikin.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:39 pm

My father was Jake and a few people started calling me little Jake. My best friend was Bird, because we went to the town dump to shoot rats once and he shot a pigeon. He took it home and put it in his chicken coop. Soon, there were pigeons all over the place. It wasn't safe to go to his house because of all of the pigeon poop that would fall from the trees. His car was always covered with it. LOL We have been best friends for 49 years.
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:31 pm

We used to hunt rats when I worked for the Health Department. That's me on the left with the devilish grin. Joe Ratchford (center) had a cyanide pump and would pump cyanide down a burrow, and we would club or shoot rats as they came out of other burrows.

Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:37 pm

By the way WWW, what a beautiful Sheltie.... They are sooooooo smart and loving..
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:51 pm

nekochan wrote:
Sam is not close to my mother's name either!

Eric, that is too funny. My dad had an old Northwest Florida accent that I do not hear nowadays. He pronounced a lot of things differently than some people have ever heard. For example, for hurricane, he said something that sounds like hurrikin.

My Mom was a Baltimore belle. She never failed to correct our pronunciation of "hurricane."
Like your Dad, she pronounced it hurrikin.

When I was in high school, our football team was called "The Flying Eagles." My mother always pronounced it "The Flying Iggles." Maybe that's a Baltimore/NW Florida thing, too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:00 pm

Eric wrote:
We used to hunt rats when I worked for the Health Department. That's me on the left with the devilish grin. Joe Ratchford (center) had a cyanide pump and would pump cyanide down a burrow, and we would club or shoot rats as they came out of other burrows.

Oh, goodness, Caddyshack revisited. jocolor
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Yady   Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:21 pm

LOL, PB I thought the same thing. Nice tie, btw, dude on the right. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yady   

Back to top Go down

Yady
View previous topic View next topic Back to top