Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
riceme

PostSubject: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:39 pm

Any other UFC fans here?? UFC is the only competitive sport that I care one whit about, and I'm kind of a freak about it... well, not "kind of," I AM. lol.

Both Nick and his brother Nate Diaz are extremely talented fighters who both show a tremendous amount of heart, not to mention skill and I have much respect for them both. While I freely admit that it took me several years to warm-up to Georges St Pierre (because I am admittedly a "Canadian Racist" as I jokingly call it), he is one of the top... hell, he might be THE BEST fighter in all of MMA today. GSP is going to stomp the everlovin' crap out of Diaz in Montreal in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to watch the fight. Hopefully it will go a few rounds and GSP won't submit or hit him on the button right away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_158

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1549281-ufc-158-video-preview-for-st-pierre-vs-diaz

Royce Gracie is and will always be my favorite fighter of all time. His daddy Helio may have been, but there are very few of his fights that I've ever been able to find on video. I have never been able to watch the fight where that asshat Matt Hughes (whom I hate with all of my heart and soul) beat him, and I will never watch it, although I've watched all of Royce Gracie's other fights over and over and over again... I never tire of them, never will. I stopped watching for a couple years after they implemented rules, but eventually warmed up to it and went back to being a huge fan. While I am still most fond of watching the old original, no-rules fights, I understand that they're protecting the fighters and respect that... I'm good with it now. Wink

The beauty of RG is that his brother Rorion was (and is) a far more skilled fighter (Royce holds a 6th degree BB, Rorion holds a 9th degree BB), but was/is much bigger than Royce. They purposefully chose Royce to enter into UFC because he was the most slight in frame of the brothers, and they wanted to demonstrate that with Gracie Jiu Jitsu, even the smallest of people can submit a giant of a man. And Royce proved that many times over. Somewhere (possibly on my external HD) I have a crapload of videos of Rorion and Royce doing a bunch of demonstration self-defense maneuvers. PRICELESS stuff... and EXCELLENT information for women in particular.

One of my ex-boyfriends (a rare good one... haha) trained under Rickson Gracie and went on to earn his Brown Belt in Gracie Jiu Jitsu. I used to go to practice with him every day after I got out of classes to watch and learn, then when we got home, he would teach me how to use my leverage to defend myself against him, as well as some "kill/break" moves. Saved my butt on many occasions... unfortunately did not save me from the leglock that originally broke my tibia in half and shattered my patella.

Anyhoo... sorry for the über long post. Clearly, I get super excited about ultimate fighting and Gracie Jiu Jitsu, in particular.

bounce
Back to top Go down
alecto

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:07 am

Nick Diaz is going to get his ass kicked, I like Nick and like his style but GSP is in a whole other league.

Royce Gracie is a legend plain and simple. I remember how in the beginning people looked at him like "yeah right" that all changed once he had them wadded up on the ground screaming for their mama.
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:23 am

I'm a big fan too... love the gracies. I like the diaz bros and will be rooting against gsp... but he is awfully damn good.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:56 am

I agree w/you, alecto... Nick Diaz is a damn fine fighter... both the Diaz boys are, and they have CRAZY reach advantage (76 and 75 inches, respectively if I remember correctly), but GSP is in a class of his own and is going to kick the shit out of Diaz.

I love to watch the very first Royce Gracie fights, where the commentators were like, look at this skinny-ass panty-waisted punk gonna get his ass kicked! Boy were they surprised! One of my all-time favorite fights is when he whipped Ken Shamrock's ass. That roided-out, ego-inflated @hole was never more shocked in his LIFE! The look on his face was PRICELESS.

Okay Pkr, you're gonna owe me and alecto beers if GSP wins! It's ON!

I'm not sure where the HAIL we're gonna watch the fight, now... my buddies are Ironworkers and are permanently "no longer welcome" at the only bar in town that airs UFC fights... because they got into a fight, lol.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:00 am

Oh, I've got two words for you: Clay Guida. The guy is a freakin' ANIMAL. I LOVE to watch him fight.
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:55 am

Lol... It's on. Clay is/was awesome too... he's changed his style lately... prolly cause he's getting old.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:11 pm

Oh, you must be referring to the Maynard fight. Dana White told him he was done-zo if he continued to fight like that, so I would imagine that situation has been corrected.

I just looked up his stats because you said he was getting old... he's only 31. Sometimes it's hard to believe that he is roughly my size... about 15-lbs heavier than me (all muscle, no doubt), but aside from that he and I are the same size. And I wear a size 2, which is pretty small. Crazy.

It's weird cos I usually appreciate super technical, highly skilled fighters like Kenny Florian and GSP, but I love the way that Clay Guida gets in there and goes nuts.
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:17 am

Guida and Evan Tanner used to be a couple of my favorites... also Brandon Vera. Some of them seem to lose their edge and it almost hurts to watch. Like Frank Mir and Franklin too... it's like they stop believing. It's hard if not impossible to regain that.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:43 am

Oh yeah... I love Evan Tanner, Frank Mir and Rich Franklin. It's very difficult for me to stop believing in my old favorites... I never stop loving and believing in them. Too easy to remember their greatness.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:57 pm

I find the official UFC website to be a total PITA, so here's the official fightcard via Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_158

In addition to calling GSP against Diaz, AND hoping it will be an awesome fight...

I like Patrick Côté, so I'll also take him against Bobby Voelker even though I sorta feel like I'm selling out on my love for Kansas, Iowa, and all of the Heartland, lol. Patrick Côté has a Brown Belt in BJJ and is highly skilled in Muay Thai as well which I love partially because it is another of the martial arts that is particularly conducive to women (much like BJJ). I have often said that a woman's best weapon is her elbow, and for most, her knee... not so much for me... lol.

I'll also take Dillashaw against Tamura. I like that kid. He grew up in a small town in the High Sierras and trained w/Urija (sp??) Faber, and has got a serious ground game. Excellent wrestling background.

Uhh, I'mma take Rick Story against this Mulhern kid... just on a hunch. I liked Rick Story's win over Alves and for some reason I cannot recall anything about Mulhern at all... a forgettable fighter isn't a good sign in my book.... lol, but I may lose out on this one. haha.

Anyone else wanna make any calls, agreements, disagreements?
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:16 pm

Alrighty, boys... I'm getting ready to roll out to watch the fights w/my Ironworker buddies. Any last minute beer-bets you all want to call?? See mine above.

bounce
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:56 pm

Where and how does the winner collect the winnings??
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:00 am

Diaz didn't seem to put up much of a fight. I just watched a highlight reel, though... not the whole fight.

PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:45 pm

I expect his next fight to be tougher. Hendricks is a two time ncaa champ and handled condit the same way gsp did diaz.
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:19 pm

Rut-Roh!

Diaz says he "never paid income taxes". Thinks he might get jail time,

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nick-diaz-reveals-hes-never-190210909--mma.html

riceme

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:32 pm

Eric wrote:
Diaz didn't seem to put up much of a fight. I just watched a highlight reel, though... not the whole fight.

Yeah, that was one of the least exciting UFC fights I've ever seen. Oh well. I guess you can't be on the edge of your seat for ALL of them.

Somehow I'd totally missed that Hendricks was fighting. I really like him... that was probably the best fight that I got to see last night, but we got there a little late.
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:36 am

Some of the prelims were on tv....watched a cuouple

Ok what is the difference between ufc and mma?
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Not much, really... the fighters in UFC are all Mixed Martial Artists. MMA = Mixed Martial Arts, obviously.

I missed all the preliminary fights... I'll see if I can look them up online. I like to watch the little wiry guys fight. A lot of them are wild-ass scrappers.
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:06 pm

I wont spoil anything.....you already know who won!
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:12 pm

"Tanks." Wink

If I ever miss a fight I go to great lengths to avoid seeing or hearing the results before I get to watch it.
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:05 pm

Riceme

Are you a stryker or a grappler Laughing
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:33 pm

3W, something tells me that you don't want to find out...

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Lololol
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:28 am

whowherewhy wrote:
Riceme

Are you a stryker or a grappler Laughing

I have trained in both and when I was younger (before I got my knee and tibia broken) I was a better grappler, but after... I am a better striker. I think most of it has to do with fear of getting put into a leglock that will break it all again because there is really no other sensible reason for it.

Elbows are a girl's best friend. Wink Knees should also be, but not mine obviously. Can't even deliver properly with my right knee because my balance is all out of whack now. Well, I can most assuredly hurt someone with my right knee, just not up to my own standards I guess, and not how I used to be able to.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:32 am

I never want to get you mad at me to begin with!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013   

Back to top Go down

UFC 158 :: GSP vs Nick Diaz || 16 March 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: For The Sports Minded-
Jump to: