Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Cat nystagmus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
riceme

PostSubject: Cat nystagmus   Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:41 pm

I recently noticed that Blue Kitty's eyes "quiver" back and forth rapidly, looked it up online and found that it's called nystagmus. Does anyone know anything about this? I had noticed that she was unusually clumsy for a kitty and had nearly fallen off the railing from the loft a couple times. Also noticed that she often runs headlong into things, usually the couch, sometimes the wall (ouch!). Since I noticed it and looked it up I've been watching her more closely and yesterday noticed that several times she ran full-speed toward the sliding-glass window then stopped short of it, so maybe her vision is not in fact impaired as I feared it might be.

I'm worried about her obviously, but much of the online literature says that she'd need a CT Scan... Hell, I'm still paying off my own last CT Scan, so I'm not sure that's in the cards right now.

Any thoughts?

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/neurological/c_ct_nystagmus

Thanks, all.

And as I was about to post this, she just ran her head into the corner of the wrap-around bar of the kitchen. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cat nystagmus   Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:53 pm

Ouch...poor kitty. I have never heard of this.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Cat nystagmus   Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:06 pm

I never had either... I knowwww... Poor kitty!!!

Crying or Very sad cat
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Cat nystagmus   Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:10 pm

I had that happen when I was real drunk one time. It was night and when I looked a the stars, I SWEAR that they were all short streaks, kinda like when you see those time lapse photos of the night sky.

The next morning, I noticed that the whites of my eyes just below my lower eye lid were very dark... almost black. Alcohol had thinned out my blood so much that some blood had leaked into my eyeballs.

About that kitty... I have no idea why that kitty does it, lol.

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Cat nystagmus   Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:01 pm

Eric wrote:
I had that happen when I was real drunk one time. It was night and when I looked a the stars, I SWEAR that they were all short streaks, kinda like when you see those time lapse photos of the night sky.

The next morning, I noticed that the whites of my eyes just below my lower eye lid were very dark... almost black. Alcohol had thinned out my blood so much that some blood had leaked into my eyeballs.

About that kitty... I have no idea why that kitty does it, lol.

In my younger years I've had it happen where I honestly thought the stars were streaking, as you recount above, but I don't recall that any part of the whites of my eyes ever turned nearly black... but I may have been "keeping my levels up" as we used to say back in the day. lol. Sounds like we may have had some similar partying days, EE! Ha ha.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Cat nystagmus   Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:31 pm

Need to have her checked...

What are the causes of nystagmus?

Your cat could contract nystagmus as a congenital defect. Other causes may include trauma (caused by an accident or any other mishap), hyperthyroidism, tumors, heart attacks, viral infections and thiamine deficiency.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Cat nystagmus   Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:

Need to have her checked...

What are the causes of nystagmus?

Your cat could contract nystagmus as a congenital defect. Other causes may include trauma (caused by an accident or any other mishap), hyperthyroidism, tumors, heart attacks, viral infections and thiamine deficiency.

Holy smokes. I need to call my uncle... he has a connection to a vet's assistant who helps people out who can't afford to come in. I could certainly afford a normal visit, but I am most concerned because what I've read indicates that she'd need a CT Scan and like I said, I'm still paying off MY last CT Scan because my stupid insurance didn't pay for hardly any of it. DAMMIT!

Poor kitty! I wonder if one of her runs headlong into the wall caused it?? That would seem to make sense to me. She is REALLY clumsy for a kitty... Strange. I have still not let her out of the house (you know what happened to my sweet Kitty, and that's why), but the one time I let her into the basement / garage she killed two mice in 15-minutes. Likely her sense of smell makes up for any possible visual impairment, I'm sure.

Thanks, Joani. I'd seen that it was something humans also get, so I was hoping you might chime-in.
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Cat nystagmus   Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:38 pm

We have good friends whose daughter's eyes dart back and forth. There wasn't much they could do about it. Now grown and getting married this June. If money could have fixed her eyes, it would have been done. He's the Comptroller and a VP with Lowe's.

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Cat nystagmus   Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:50 am

Just a Idea.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Cat nystagmus   Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:52 am

You think I could get Blue Kitty in @the VA in Biloxi, HG???

Cool
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cat nystagmus   Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:36 am

Oh, poor baby Blue.....!

I've never had a pet with nystagmus, so it's not something I've researched. Like Eric wrote, it can be very difficult to correct this condition in humans.

As you wrote, I'd check with your uncle and ask him to check with the vet. assistant. If she were my kitty, I'd take her in for an evaluation, even if you can't do the CT right now. It may be the vet would recommend taking no action other than observing her closely at home, which you are already doing.

How old is Blue, again? Did you have her checked out for feline leukemia?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Cat nystagmus   Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Maybe next time Hallmark goes back for his eye cheackup, he can sneak your kitty in...
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Cat nystagmus   Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:27 pm

I know, PB... it just breaks my heart! Poor little baby. Crying or Very sad

I'll call the local vet tomorrow to inquire on how much an eval for this might run me... Could be that it'd be far easier on my pocketbook than I expect... You never know. My uncle has been out of town so I have not yet been able to get the contact infos from him on his vet assistant connection.

Let's see... she was *supposed* to have been ~9-mos when I got adopted her at the end of December, but I had thought after that she was a little younger because of her behavior... now I know she'd just a playful little sh*t! lol. So that would put her at 11-mos at most.

Regarding Leukemia, I have all the papers and certs confirming that she was checked for it and a host of other things, as well as vaccinated for everything under the sun, spayed and microchipped.

Thanks, doll. cat
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: Cat nystagmus   Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm

BP Snacks wrote:
Maybe next time Hallmark goes back for his eye cheackup, he can sneak your kitty in...

NICE ONE, BP!! I like it! I'll have to ask HG if he can get her in... Since she's such a brutal fighter, maybe they'll consider her a "veteran" of sorts. lol

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cat nystagmus   

Back to top Go down

Cat nystagmus
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Hobbies and Personal Interests :: Our Pets-
Jump to: