Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Consequences of sequestration

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

Consequences of sequestration Empty
PostSubject: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 7:48 am

I've been reading 'round the town, and it seems some local people are already experiencing the effects of sequestration. I am deeply saddened by this news.

If any posts wish to talk, vent or offer up potential local employment sites or local information banks, please do.

A friend of mine found a new job through the Escarosa website after the company for which she worked was sold and liquidated.

I've had bad luck with Careerbuilder in the past. It seemed the jobs that interested me had already been filled, and the jobs directed toward my husband were usually nothing but scams - "pay us up front, we'll find you a job" - that sort of thing.

Thoughts and ideas, anyone?

Here is the Escarosa Workforce home page:
http://www.workforceescarosa.com/

Last edited by PBulldog2 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 8:26 am

You try Landrum yet?
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 9:01 am

BP Snacks wrote:
You try Landrum yet?

I wasn't referring to myself, BP, but thanks. I'm OK so far.

Landrum might be a good option for those who are facing unemployment. That's what I'm trying to build here - a list of resources of any type for those who will be affected by sequestration.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 11:17 am

Careerbuilder is nothing but a spam and phishing trap, so steer clear of that. LinkedIn is a great resource... Monster isn't bad.
Back to top Go down
alecto

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 11:28 am

PBulldog Thank you for starting this thread.

Back to top Go down
alecto

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 11:29 am

riceme wrote:
Careerbuilder is nothing but a spam and phishing trap, so steer clear of that. LinkedIn is a great resource... Monster isn't bad.

Second that.

Signed up with them 3 years ago and still receive close to 10 emails a day from them.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 11:30 am

I joined Linkedin and I think it is a great resource for active workers.

Since I am now retired cheers, I quit Linkedin because of the inordinate amount of e-mails I got from them.

Getting a job still seems to be "Who you know". (Keeping the job depends on how well you perform, though.)

I keep seeing helpful links on how to conduct yourself during an interview, how to write an effective resume, etc. When I run across a good one, I'll post it here.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 11:39 am

If you are referring to government employees many. Have been trained in an insulated world and may need some training assistance to get into the REAL world of private enterprise. When NAS had all the lay offs years ago i got tons of apps 99 percent of which were unsuitable in a world of real customer service and sales quotas.

I went to my. First interview in 35 years which lasted thee hours the CEO came in do speak with me the final two hours. Have no idea what will come of that. Hopeful a position can be created.

If you can sell, you are always welcome.....have a resume ready, keep it short professional, as you know there are thee types of resumes pick the one that highlights your strengths best.

Dress professionally. Don't be afraid to ask questions, save the " how much do i make" until the very end, focusing rather on what you can bring to the table, express real interest in the job and what is expected and how you can exceed expectations bit be real too. Eye contact is important remember you are selling yourself!

Last edited by whowherewhy on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 11:43 am

Lifehacker has some good articles and here is an example from today. It's not a tutorial on how to get a job, but it is an example of the kinds of articles that they have.

http://lifehacker.com/5987241/how-to-know-when-its-time-to-quit-your-job
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 11:47 am

whowherewhy wrote:
If you are referring to government employees many. Have been trained in an insulated world and may need some training assistance to get into the REAL world of private enterprise. When NAS had all the lay offs years ago i got tons of apps 99 percent of which were unsuitable in a world of real customer service and sales quotas.

I went to my. First interview in 35 years which lasted thee hours the CEO came in do speak with me the final two hours. Have no idea what will come of that. Hopeful a position can be created.

If you can sell, you are always welcome.....

Good luck, man.

Sales - I was a pharmaceutical salesman fresh out of college with a Biology degree. Had sales up 30% in one year. Then, after being a surf bum for 3 years, I spent 22 years as an environmentalist with the Gubment... ruined me Razz
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 12:50 pm

EE, you need to go into your settings for each group you've joined at LinkedIn and decline the emails.

3w: Good luck to you on your interview. Will be pulling for you.
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 12:56 pm

Backing up a bit. Escarosa's website uses career builder, monster, just hired and about every other employment service including landrum. I see really no difference between any of them really, except the private firms once you submit a resume and fill out their app can hone in on your field and area of expertise in emailing you job opportunities better than just a blanket search on escarosa but you should do that anyway.

Almost all the large corps use one of these private firms.

Don't limit yourself to a pensacola zip. Put in 36561 and go 25 miles out. 36561 is orange beach 25 miles will get you all of south baldwin county Alabama and pensacola.

There are a lot more jobs that are decent in south baldwin than escambia county florida sad but true.

Conversely put in 32502 and go 50 miles which gets you okaloosa and walton both of which have far better opportunities than escambia fl.

Eric i am in no hurry approaching social security and am doing real estate course now. This year we will see an upturn in real estate especially condos. Plus you make money when people buy or sell. As i said if you ca sell you are always welcome.

After 35 years working without a net and the last five under intense pressure i can use the beach bum break. If i need to i am confident i can get employment. In the end i would love to work with kids who need mentoring like big brothers, JA, something like that....money is no longer my aim, i have reared my children and they are doing well without dad! Hey thanks eric!!
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 11:43 pm

Off the subject of displaced workers but on the subject of sequestration and its consequences, I just read this in our local paper:

Air Force cancels Thunderbird flights, other public event involvement due to sequester

WASHINGTON – As the U.S. Air Force braces for potential sequester, its leadership has cancelled all aviation support to public events for at least the remainder of the fiscal year and is standing down the Thunderbirds aerial demonstration team to save flying hours to support readiness needs according to a press release.

Effective today, active-duty, Reserve and Guard units will cease all aviation support to the public, the release said. This includes the cancellation of support to all air shows, trade shows, flyovers (including funerals and military graduations), orientation flights, heritage flights, F-22 demonstration flights and open houses, unless the event includes only local static assets.

Additionally, the Air Force will cancel the Thunderbirds’ entire 2013 season beginning April 1.

The Thunderbirds and Heritage Flight crews will complete their certification procedures for safely flying aerial demonstrations in case the budget allows resumption of scheduled events in 2013, but and the Air Force will cease participation in Heritage flights following certification.

The Air Force will reduce flying hours by as much as 18 percent — approximately 203,000 hours — and impacts will be felt across the service and directly affect operational and training missions.

“While we will protect flying operations in Afghanistan and other contingency areas, nuclear deterrence and initial flight training, roughly two-thirds of our active-duty combat Air Force units will curtail home station training,” said Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Welsh III.

Since all aerial support to public and military events is flown at no additional cost to the taxpayer using allotted training hours, the Air Force had no choice but to cancel support to these events, he said.

“Engaging with the public is a core Air Force mission and communicating and connecting with the public is more important today than ever before. However, faced with deep budget cuts, we have no choice but to stop public aviation support,” said Brig. Gen. Les Kodlick, director of Air Force Public Affairs. “The Air Force will reevaluate the program at the end of the fiscal year and look for ways to curtail the program without having to cancel aviation support altogether.”

The Air Force will continue to seek additional ways to remain engaged with the American public, he added.

For more information, please contact Air Force Public Affairs at aerial.events@pentagon.af.mil or 703-695-9664. For information specific to the USAF Thunderbirds, please call Air Combat Command Public Affairs at 757-764-5007.

I particularly enjoyed the portions in red and red italic text. I had to chuckle when I read the part that says, "...in case the budget allows resumption of scheduled events in 2013." As if.
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 7:10 am

Political b.s.

Sorry for the air shows but waste in the military is mind boggling and of course they will fight to the death to protect every penny.

The joint chiefs should and staff should do their job report to congress and defend every nickel they request and not play drama queens on fox or other media....retired or active
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 11:34 am

Excellent point, 3w. Government waste has always been a pet peeve of mine had has majorly ticked me off, but you are absolutely correct that it just should not happen in the military.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 2:33 pm

The Navy Times released an article saying that Flight Training will be halted this month. I have never heard of flight training being halted and IF it's true....it IS a big deal.

There are enormous cuts that could be made in the DOD. But what they are doing now is nonsense and in the long run, it will only COST more money. It's insanity.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Agree wholeheartedly, Neko.

In addition to very likely costing more money in the long run, I fear that halting training and ops (re: article I posted above) might well get people injured or killed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 3:43 pm

If the Navy is halting flight training, that means that squadrons will not have new pilots and flight officers available to fill important spots in the squadrons. Put that with all the other training in the other branches that's being halted and our military has some serious problems. I don't put a lot of weight on a lot of crap that is "reported" so I don't know if the flight training story is true...but it was in the Navy Times.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 4:03 pm

I'll check the news at my military.com account a little later and let you know if I get any differing reports.

I'm pretty worried about my brother. As you know, since he retired last year he now refuses outright to go overseas even one more time and his lifeblood is now in "Train the Trainer" and training not only the black ops guys, but regular troops as well. He does do some security work as well, but 99% of what he's been doing has been in above mentioned training. He is working right now, so I can't ask him about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Consequences of sequestration   Consequences of sequestration Empty

Back to top Go down

Consequences of sequestration
Page 1 of 1