Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A gutted White House

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

A gutted White House Empty
PostSubject: A gutted White House   A gutted White House EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 9:12 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/inside-a-totally-gutted-white-house-slideshow/wh-rehab-photo-481333155.html

I didn't know that the White House was gutted in 1950. Incredible pics!
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: A gutted White House   A gutted White House EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 5:03 pm

Wow. That's pretty cool. I was going to ask how they got the dozer in there but did you see it said that they had to disassemble it, set the pieces inside then reassemble it. That's pretty neat. Could you imagine working that job??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gutted White House   A gutted White House EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 5:43 pm

I had no idea. Very cool pictures.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: A gutted White House   A gutted White House EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 5:45 pm

What I don't understand is that people say they "found art or furniture in the White House basement". Jackie Kennedy said that on her famous White House walk-through on TV. Really? After all that demolition?

Maybe it was another wing or something.

It makes me wonder how big of a bomb shelter or tunnels were dug during this renovation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A gutted White House   A gutted White House EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 5:59 pm

Good question....it was soon after WW2.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: A gutted White House   A gutted White House EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 1:40 pm

Maybe they removed a bunch of stuff from the WH then after the renovations put it all into the basement??

...or did I misunderstand your question? Question
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: A gutted White House   A gutted White House EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 1:41 pm

SUPER cool pictures, EE... I keep looking at them over and over again... I love this sort of stuff. Thanks for sharing this!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: A gutted White House   A gutted White House EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 2:16 pm

riceme wrote:
SUPER cool pictures, EE... I keep looking at them over and over again... I love this sort of stuff. Thanks for sharing this!

You're welcome, Ricey. I thought the same thing about removing stuff from the basement, then putting it back.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: A gutted White House   A gutted White House EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 2:26 pm

Eric wrote:
riceme wrote:

You're welcome, Ricey. I thought the same thing about removing stuff from the basement, then putting it back.

Smile

I bet that's what happened, EE. I wonder what was in there... lots of cool treasures, no doubt! bounce
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: A gutted White House   A gutted White House EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 10:03 am

The quote of the time was that the White House was standing only under "The Force of Habit". I know a lot of the work was replaced though pains made to replicate the details. I was fortunate to be trained in some of the intricate mold and plaster making by someone who did some of the renovations.

Today the furnishings are kept in Riverdale, Maryland and a law was enacted to control the sale of White House items after Chester Arthur unilaterally sold off hundreds of artifacts and furnishings going back to the early administrations.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A gutted White House   A gutted White House Empty

Back to top Go down

A gutted White House
Page 1 of 1