Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai Empty
PostSubject: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 3:06 pm

I have to Do everything myself since i lost insurance years ago. I cannot afford surgeries , high priced drugs, or treatment therapies translated i m left to my own devices. What i have learned in the last few years is that i do not trust the AMA, the Fda, or pharmeceuticals. They all have their place bu there is more than one way to skin a cat.

My rotator and traps started having problems in my thirties the result of overpaddling and surfing 6 days a week. Even in my forties there were days i literally had to pick my arm up with the other and throw it forward. I never slept all night and the pain was agony. At different times i had tried the pill version of glucosamine with some results.

Last year it got so bad i was living in constant theobbing pain and was seriously thinking about letting my surfing go for awhile and i had become a one arms paddler NOT good no one cares in the line up you bring your A game or you don't show up.

So against this backdrop i decided to take the doses up on glucosamine to levels way more than u usually get recommended on a bottle. I started on 8 oz of acai juice loaded with 1500 mg of glucosamine, 200 mg of chondroitin along with 2 pills with 1500 mg of glucosamine and 1500 of MSM.

After 3 months i have almost 0 rotator problems and no trapezius at all! I mean they are gone. Most of my friends had surgeries with mixed results, some with limited ranges of motion some about where i am some failed.

After preaching this to another surfer he has noticed my paddling rather than go in for surgery he started this plan also. I am anxious to see him pain free too.

Bottom line it works period. It is not a placebo. And yet the AMA ETC will tell u it is not credible and does not work. I suspect the real reason is that hospitals, drig companies and surgeons cannot make money off glucosamine.

If you have rotator problemsi highly recommend at least giving this a shot. I was even told that mine was so bad the operation was less than fifty percent effective because my shoulders had become arthritic from it.

Today and tonight zero pain.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 4:51 pm

Glucosamine is recommended by several orthopaedists that I know....as far as Acai there isn't any scientific confirmation...the one sure thing is it's well marketed and expensive.
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:
Glucosamine is recommended by several orthopaedists that I know....as far as Acai there isn't any scientific confirmation...the one sure thing is it's well marketed and expensive.

Joani the acai is the liquid that contains the glucosamine chondroiton, i also use the pills. I found i had to go well over the dosages to get the effects" the liquid form of course combines some acai sugars which i imagine helps it synthesize more quickly and effeciently as it does wih say creatine.

The acai seemed a better more healthy choice than a fructose laden "sports drink" thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Two Aleve work for me.
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 5:24 pm

Lol
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 10:29 am

How I wish two Aleve worked for me! I can't take the darned stuff due to gastric issues.

My husband tried glucosamine several years ago, but it didn't help the severe arthritis in his knees. I don't know what dosage he took.

Where do you buy your supplements, WWW? Is there a single place to go to buy all of them? My husband is at the point he'll try most anything except narcotics. I fear he'll have to have a knee replacement if his knee issues don't improve soon. I'd like for him to try this regimen.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 12:01 pm

I think? Bp was being funny as you cannot manage chronic pain long term with nsaids without huge side edfects.

The glucosamine you can get anywhere wal mart publix.

The rest i buy from GNC or VITAMIN WORLS but i hear online may be cheaper.

The protein mix is from local distributers and is pricy but i like the whey is from new zealand cows no BVH or other anti biotics we use in this country.

In pensacola GNC would have all but the protein shake. Your husband would have to use that as a meal replacement, those of us who work out use it for recovery and also to PUT ON weight.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 8:17 am

Oh geez, neither of us want to put on any more weight! Hubby may need to forego the protein shakes.

I'm going to see if I can encourage him to try glucosamine and chondroitin at higher dosages. I'll check out the MSM. Hubby sees his doctor soon, so he can ask him about this.

Thanks for the purchase info.
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 8:20 am

The protein shake i do is 250 calories i have to eat within one hour after to properly utilize for training.

If you are not in training they are used as a meal replacement. So in that way they are used to diet.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 3:57 pm

I may need to try some or all of above... as mentioned in my post to you here @the Health section, my knee and tibia are a major issue for me, but I have dislocated my right shoulder more times than I can count (it comes out of the socket at its own will, and I've been able to pop it back in for at least 20-yrs now), had a rotator-cuff injury, and I broke it once, as well. Plus, my left hip is completely jacked-up because of my knee and tibia issues I have had for just short of 13-yrs now. So clearly, my joints are a complete MESS.

That said, it is critical to note that I absolutely cannot gain weight. It is imperative that I not put any additional weight on my knee and tibia. Doctor's orders. Got my ass chewed when I gained 5-lbs because my boyfriend thought I was too skinny and I was trying to gain a little weight. Plus, when I have been heavier, the pain has been one hundred-fold.

That said, I'll hold off until you have some time to respond to my inquiry to you here 3w, regarding my issues. No rush... take your time. I know you're busy!

Wink
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 6:14 pm

Rice, did you have some shortening in your affected leg? My left leg is about an inch shorter than my right due to the comminuted (crush) fracture of my left femur in '81.

I used to wear a lift in my left shoe (I made them myself) but I got lazy this past year or so. Well, I've actually been lazy about it a LOT since I first broke it, because I didn't want to wear an elevated shoe. Stubborn pride, doncha know.

Now I'm left with scoliosis because of the strange way I walk. I know a lot of my back discomfort comes from that. They warned me about this years ago, but I didn't listen.

Would an in-shoe prosthesis help you? I made my own out of those Dr. Scholl's heel things you can buy at any pharmacy, and it worked. although I've been told full-shoe prostheses are more effective.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 6:45 pm

YES, ma'am! Mine was about 3/4" shorter than my healthy (right) leg in 2008, and I was told it might continue to shorten. A lot of it has to do with the fact that not only my knee and tibia are screwed, but mostly due to my hip being jacked-up.

I wear custom-fit and made orthotics that correct it to a degree, but they were fit for me in... ehh, 2006, I'm guessing?? Insurance did not cover them and they were exorbitantly expensive. I have two pair... one for work boots and one for heels. They were well worth what I paid for them and cannot go without them. I cannot recall if they were $400/pair or $400 for both... Either way, I am grateful to have them, but need a new set someday when I can swing it to adjust and correct for the difference since I had them made. BTW I had them made @Scenic Health Alliance. My Dr's name was Jason Stern and they have an office dog, which I figured you'd appreciate Wink. Added bonus, he's hot. lol. Plus, he is excellent... prescribed therapeutic massage as part of my treatment, which helped tremendously.

Oh, and yes... I'm in the same boat as you with my back as well. Knee bone connected to the hip bone, connected to the back bone, connected to the neck bone. SUCKS!
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 7:50 am

Hey, I've only put off getting orthotics for 32 years, why should I rush now? (Or so my stubborn, "I can manage it all by myself" brain tells me!) Seriously though, thanks for the information about orthotics. It's probably time I did something about it.

I don't think they even had orthotic inserts back when I had my injury. I know I was told I would need a shoe with a "lift" installed on the sole, but my pride wouldn't let me consider such a thing. Besides, they couldn't install lifts on flip-flops. Laughing I had visions of a big, black, sensible shoe with black laces and a lift on it, and I couldn't imagine myself wearing such a thing. Health be dammit'ed, and all that rot.

I've paid for my silliness, and I'm so glad you did the smart thing. Your entire body will thank you for it when you get to be my age.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 4:00 pm

I really hope you are able to make the investment in a set of custom orthotics, PB. Mine have helped tremendously to dissipate the pain that I endure on an hourly basis.

After thinking on it some, I'm fairly certain that mine were $400 for both pair, and the pair I have for wearing in heels were far more expensive than the pair I wear in my boots... which would also work perfectly in tennies and the like. I just can't wear tennies for some reason. My steel-toed work boots are investments to me and are the most comfortable shoes I own... ALWAYS. As you can imagine, I cannot wear cheapo shoes w/no support.

I very, very strongly recommend Dr. Jason Stern @Scenic Health Alliance on Scenic Hwy. He is AMAZING. My insurance covered... ehh, 40 visits a year if I remember correctly, including the therapeutic massage he prescribed, which I would always have prior to the adjustments he gave me as if I didn't I'd be too tense to get a proper adjustment, among other issues.
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Yes i had a surfing injury which dislocated my shoulder and it would also randomly pop out of the socket.

I think progressive weight training will help along with the joint supplements.

Do not do over head lifts save extremely light weights. Make sure in all movements to use strict form and stay well within your limits adding some weight each week.

Lat pulls, seated rows, curls, and presses will help strengthen tendons just remember rome was not built in a day and in the gym your only competitor is you!
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 5:21 pm

Thank you, 3w! I have a set of 5-lb weights and a set of 2-1/2 lb weights for when my shoulder is super jacked-up. The only "overhead" that I've ever done since my first shoulder injury is, weight in-hand, put my arm straight up over my head, then drop only my elbow down toward my back, which was one of the recommended exercises in PT after each injury. You agree with that so long as I use the 2-1/2 lb weights?

Thank you, brother! MUCH appreciated!!

Edit: I also stretch A LOT... particularly my legs and back, still following my stretch regimen from PT after my last reconstructive surgery on my knee, tibia and soft tissue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai   Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai Empty

Back to top Go down

Glucosamine, chondroitin, Msm, and Acai
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Hobbies and Personal Interests :: Health-
Jump to: