Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Old School back in the news..

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

My Old School back in the news.. Empty
PostSubject: My Old School back in the news..   My Old School back in the news.. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 6:29 pm

Wow all the hell I raised about this school and now the players are getting involved. Of course it is old news for us. some here has already suggested Blount for the YMCA I like this guy. Councilman Bare.

The Right Spot for a YMCA
By Councilman Bare
FEB
In 1915, Blount Junior High School opened it’s doors at 113 N C Street. In 1982, the school district vacated the building. After two sales, the property sat vacant until it was torn down last year. The neighbors of that school had to look at the dilapidated structure shown in the photo below for almost 30 years. The property is now city owned with a value estimated by the property appraiser of $225,000. All buildings have been removed. The property is more than 2.5 acres and occupies a full block. This would allow not only for a structure and parking, but also some fields for outdoor activity. Because all of the buildings have been removed, the costs to develop will be minimal.

The construction of a YMCA on this parcel would be a boost for the surrounding neighborhood, an excellent utilization of city-owned, blighted property and would give the YMCA the opportunity to offer a full compliment of family activities including athletics. I strongly encourage the current supporters of moving the YMCA to the parcel at the Community Maritime Park to consider this location as it better meets the needs of the community and the goals of the YMCA. I also encourage Mr. Studer to consider this parcel in his offer of $5 million to support the YMCA.

Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: My Old School back in the news..   My Old School back in the news.. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 6:50 pm

This brings things into more clear focus for me, hg. We've had dialogue on the Blount issue a bit, and now I realize why I was confused by some of the things I read.

Blount Junior High is not the same as Blount Middle School. LOL. I never cease to be thrown-off and confused by the whole Junior High/Middle School deal. When did they start calling them "Middle Schools" and why?? Just to mess with people?? Irritating.

At first I thought you must have been confused when I told you about my ex-boyfriend's son who went to Blount when he and I were together, and who is now attending Tate. Then I thought, no... he knows that I'M the one who was confused! lol!!
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: My Old School back in the news..   My Old School back in the news.. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 7:27 pm

It was Blount Jr High when I went there. I think it closed before the "Middle" school issue came about. Not sure Same school Different name
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: My Old School back in the news..   My Old School back in the news.. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 7:57 pm

The "Y" has been given a taste of the Maritime Park and they are intoxicated with the possibilities for them. It is a great thing for the "Y" but not for the general populace.

I saw a commercial on Channel 3 today for the MaritimeY. Looks like the push is on pretty heavy. It sucks, but no one said life would be fair.

http://www.maritimey.org/index.php?page=get-involved

I am going to send a message to them saying it is good for the Y but not a proper use of public property.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: My Old School back in the news..   My Old School back in the news.. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 8:28 pm

OK, so I sent them a note that says this looks like a good thing for the YMCA but a poor use of public property. This is their autoreply

Quote :
Thank you eric ericson , for your interest in getting involved in the Downtown Y at Maritime Park. We need your help in letting others know that a new Downtown Y at Maritime Park is the right move. Please talk to your City Council representative, share with your church, clubs you may belong to, plus friends and co-workers on why a new Maritime Y is a great idea. Until the City Council votes on the Maritime Y, please share your Y support via Facebook and visit the website to see what is new. Your support makes a difference! After the vote, there will be many activities to participate in as we move forward.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: My Old School back in the news..   My Old School back in the news.. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 8:37 pm

I call bs on this. I am going to ask them the details on how it would work.

A Maritime Y will enable the organization to double the number of people served by membership, programs and outreach. The public will also enjoy daily memberships and other sports opportunities including bike and water sports equipment rentals.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: My Old School back in the news..   My Old School back in the news.. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 8:43 pm

After the vote, there will be many activities to participate in as we move forward.

LOL Sure thing. Just trust me. I will call you tomorrow. I promise Smile
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: My Old School back in the news..   My Old School back in the news.. EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 3:53 pm

Deja vu ....just like the push for the ballpark.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Old School back in the news..   My Old School back in the news.. Empty

Back to top Go down

My Old School back in the news..
Page 1 of 1