Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rut-roh! Welcome Bob

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Rut-roh!  Welcome Bob Empty
PostSubject: Rut-roh! Welcome Bob   Rut-roh!  Welcome Bob EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:38 pm

BobW has registered. Enjoy your stay.

Rut-roh!  Welcome Bob Rut-roh-png
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Rut-roh! Welcome Bob   Rut-roh!  Welcome Bob EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:06 pm

Hello Mr Bob Good to see ya
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Rut-roh! Welcome Bob   Rut-roh!  Welcome Bob EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:40 pm

Same here, hallmark and Eric.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Rut-roh! Welcome Bob   Rut-roh!  Welcome Bob EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:47 pm

YAY! I'm so glad you came over here, Bob! cheers
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Rut-roh! Welcome Bob   Rut-roh!  Welcome Bob EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 10:31 pm

You doing ok Riceme?
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Rut-roh! Welcome Bob   Rut-roh!  Welcome Bob EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 8:05 am

Hi Bob!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Rut-roh! Welcome Bob   Rut-roh!  Welcome Bob EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi, rice and PB.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Rut-roh! Welcome Bob   Rut-roh!  Welcome Bob EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 3:42 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:
You doing ok Riceme?

Yessir, thank you. Just been sort of busy for the past several days. Plus a big storm came through and dumped about 2-feet of snow at my place, so now even a quick trip to the country store out here where I live requires 4-low, chaining up all 4-wheels to get out of my driveway and onto the main road, removing the chains, run down the road to the store, run back, chain-up all 4-wheels again in order to get up the road and back into my place. Kind of a lengthy process. I used to be able to chain-up in less than 4-minutes when I had to do it several times a day, every day all winter. It takes me much longer now... my fingers don't seem to want to move that fast in the freezing cold anymore. Amazing what 13-years will do to your fingers and knuckles.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Rut-roh! Welcome Bob   Rut-roh!  Welcome Bob EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 4:24 pm

riceme wrote:
hallmarkgrad wrote:
You doing ok Riceme?

Yessir, thank you. Just been sort of busy for the past several days. Plus a big storm came through and dumped about 2-feet of snow at my place, so now even a quick trip to the country store out here where I live requires 4-low, chaining up all 4-wheels to get out of my driveway and onto the main road, removing the chains, run down the road to the store, run back, chain-up all 4-wheels again in order to get up the road and back into my place. Kind of a lengthy process. I used to be able to chain-up in less than 4-minutes when I had to do it several times a day, every day all winter. It takes me much longer now... my fingers don't seem to want to move that fast in the freezing cold anymore. Amazing what 13-years will do to your fingers and knuckles.

Ricey, have you seen those automatic chains? It is a system that spins chains under the tires when activated and withdraws when you turn 'em off. It looks kinda goofy, but if they work, it looks like it'll save a lot of effort.

Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Rut-roh! Welcome Bob   Rut-roh!  Welcome Bob EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 4:50 pm

Eric wrote:
riceme wrote:
hallmarkgrad wrote:
You doing ok Riceme?

Ricey, have you seen those automatic chains? It is a system that spins chains under the tires when activated and withdraws when you turn 'em off. It looks kinda goofy, but if they work, it looks like it'll save a lot of effort.

Wow... interesting! I had only ever seen the automatic systems for what I call "fake" tire chains... cable chains, which are worthless here. I'd never seen any for real tire chains.

Clearance is my only concern after looking up the RUD RotoGrip webpage for light trucks, photo attached. That's a major issue for me whether I'm chained up in the snow, mud or extreme 4-WD situations. Of course my tires are a lot bigger than the little 2WD stock tires they have in the picture, and I've got a lot more clearance, so I'd need to go down into the garage/basement with the specs of the unit to estimate how much total clearance I'd have left if I installed one of these rigs.

No doubt my dad would tell me to "man-up" and just get it done, lol, but hey, looks like a fairly simple design, but I'd have to dig in to the specs to know for sure. He doesn't work on my pickup, so what he doesn't know won't hurt him. Haha.

Rut-roh!  Welcome Bob RUD-RotoGrip_LightTruck
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Rut-roh! Welcome Bob   Rut-roh!  Welcome Bob EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Oh, and it's a Bavarian/German designer and manufacturer, so no big surprise that they'd design and manufacture something so friggin brilliant and of such (seemingly, after some research) high quality. When I first saw the video I thought the chains were being released from in front of the wheel, which I saw inherent problems in... of course after I looked @website i saw that smaller lengths of chain spin under the tire from the whirrleygig chingasa that spins them around. Pretty neat.

After perusing their website I found a chain model, the KANTENSPUR and KANTENSPUR V that I'd like to buy. They have a "hoop" system that makes them a lot easier to chain-up/off than the old ones I've got, which are getting rusty (road salt), well worn, and need replaced. I'm trying to find somewhere to buy a set of four of either of the above two RUD chains, but it's kinda looking like those are only sold in the EU. I can't get through the order online system @the RUD website because they don't sell my pickup (or didn't to be more accurate) in Germany. Pfft! Closest I can get is a '96 diesel 4-Runner, then you can't choose your tire size after that! Mine are not stock, so that's an issue. PFFT again! Not giving up, still looking!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rut-roh! Welcome Bob   Rut-roh!  Welcome Bob Empty

Back to top Go down

Rut-roh! Welcome Bob
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Misc :: New Members-
Jump to: