Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget Empty
PostSubject: PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget   PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 4:58 pm

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130210/OPINION/302100004/Editorial-Don-t-use-Blue-Angels-reduce-federal-budget

I like to see the Blue Angels as much as anybody else. My eyes tear with pride when the "show" is on.

Here's a pic I took one year from the boat.
PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget Becky910

But, dammit, we MUST curb our expenditures. Yeah, it is a big thing on July 4th weekend at Pensacola Beach and many tourism dollars will be missed.

Your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget   PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Good Photo. I doubt if they will cut the shows. It just sounds good but we will see.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget   PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 8:11 pm

DAMMIT! They fly out here @Edwards AFB (FKA Muroc) as well. MANY people who work out there live here (including some friends of Neko's), as it is the nicest area in which to live that is drivable... lots and lots of local folks drive out to see the show when they fly.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget   PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:15 pm

They say they will reduce the number of shows, not cut them all out. For instance, instead of two Pensacola shows... one in July at the beach and one in November on the base... they'll just do the November one at NAS Sherman Field Pensacola.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget   PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:46 pm

I still say it sucks.

Razz
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget   PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 12:02 am

Just caught this @Pensacola Digest:

Miller “ready” to support Blue Angels cuts
Joe Vinson | February 7, 2013 @ 11:58 U.S. Navy

Congressman Jeff Miller has stated support for a sequestration deal that would cut $1.2 trillion from the deficit over ten years, even though the proposed cuts to the Navy’s budget would eliminate many performances by the Blue Angels — including the popular July show at Pensacola Beach.

“I want to see the Blue Angels fly as much as anybody else, but this country is in a serious financial position,” Miller said Wednesday. “And if the only way that we can get control of spending is through sequestration, I’m ready to go in that direction — even if it means the Blue Angels suspending some of their air shows.”

“In order to do what this country needs to do, we can no longer afford to do the things we like to do,” Miller added.

By grounding the Blue Angels from April through September, the Navy would save $20 million per year. Other cutbacks, like unpaid furloughs for most civilian employees, would add up to a $4 billion reduction in the Navy’s annual budget.

The $20 million for the Blue Angels represents less than 0.002% of the total $1.2 trillion sequestration deal, but the impact on the Pensacola community would be great.

According to a report given last August by Rod Lewis, director of the Haas Center for Business Research and Economic Development, the July air show alone brings about 15,000 more visitors to Pensacola Beach than a typical July weekend and has a regional economic impact of approximately $2.5 million.

While Congressman Miller is to be commended for sticking to his principles in terms of reducing the deficit, even with budget cuts that directly affect his district and its constituents, it’s a shame his fiscal hawkishness didn’t apply to, say, the war in Iraq, which is estimated to have incurred $806 billion in direct costs between 2003 and 2011. That works out to over $250 million for every day spent in the conflict, or over $10 million per hour.

Miller supported the 2003 invasion and consistently opposed proposals to withdraw U.S. forces. Yet if America had spent just one less day in Iraq, we could have financed the Blue Angels’ summer shows for another twelve years.

http://www.pensacoladigest.com/2013/02/miller-ready-to-support-blue-angels-cuts/#comment-1172

Two of the things in this budget cut which I would just hate would be (admittedly, partially for sentimental reasons) the elimination of the Blues flying in Pensacola on Independence Day, but mostly the tremendous financial hit that the region will experience from loss of tourism revenues.

What a shame.

Please don't misunderstand. I completely understand and fully support -- 110%! -- that budget cuts absolutely MUST be made, and drastically at that, but at a direct loss to a region's only industry revenue?? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget   PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 12:38 pm

They may not have a choice in this if sequestration is allowed to take place in March. I can see cutting one of the Pensacola shows. We really do not need 2 shows in the area.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget   PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 5:19 pm

From a financial perspective I see your point, but I'd sure hate to see the Independence Day show go by the wayside.

Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget   PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 11:05 am

I see no reason they can't cut out the Friday shows at the beach and base. That would leave the Saturday shows at both places while still cutting 2 shows. Really, they could do it at all of their shows.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget   PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget Empty

Back to top Go down

PNJ Editorial - Don't use Blue Angels to Reduce the Federal Budget
Page 1 of 1