Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen in the US

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen in the US Empty
PostSubject: Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen in the US   Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen in the US EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 1:38 pm

http://www.iris.edu/spudservice/data/1066761 This is a 17-meg MP4 video showing wave after wave hitting seismic sensors from 7,000 miles away. This is the earthquake that spawned a Tsunami with resultant deaths.

Good video... worth watching. The graphic below is not the video. The video is at the top of this post.

Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen in the US Earthq10

Here's a link to info on the Earthquake http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/06/solomon-islands-earthquake-triggers-tsunami
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen in the US   Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen in the US EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 8:03 pm

Very interesting, EE. You probably know I got a Minor in Geology, but I'm not sure if you know that specifically I primarily studied earthquakes and vulcanology on the Ring of Fire. One of my sisters did as well. It was difficult to NOT be fascinated by the subject, living right on top of the subduction zone in Humboldt County. I have EQ alerts set up on my DROID 4 via my weather program Elecont, which is SO bitchin!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen in the US   Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen in the US EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 8:53 pm

riceme wrote:
Very interesting, EE. You probably know I got a Minor in Geology, but I'm not sure if you know that specifically I primarily studied earthquakes and vulcanology on the Ring of Fire. One of my sisters did as well. It was difficult to NOT be fascinated by the subject, living right on top of the subduction zone in Humboldt County. I have EQ alerts set up on my DROID 4 via my weather program Elecont, which is SO bitchin!

Vulcanology seems so sexy. I have had Google look for news keywords for volcanoes, tsunamis, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes... stuff like that. Every once and a while, Google forgets my preferences and I have to redo 'em... no biggie.

For our 25th anniversary, Christine and I went to Hawaii, but we didn't get to see any active volcanoes. We went to Kauai, the Garden Island, where no building can be taller than a palm tree. It was beautiful and we had a great time, but I want to go back and see Volcanoes National Park.

Kauai was the island that the helicopter flew in to in the intro for Jurassic Park and large parts of it are undeveloped. We rented a 4-wheel drive SUV at the airport and drove way into the interior, fording streams on dirt roads... it was neat.

Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen in the US 84296910
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen in the US   Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen in the US EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Vulconology is surely neat stuff, but my passion was most definitely earthquakes and the Cascadia Subduction Zone. Fascinating stuff, for certain!

It's funny you mentioned your Google preferences. I was gonna mention a week or so back that my Google News preferences keep getting jacked-up, which is kinda annoying to me because I have so many of them. I keep thinking that I'm forgetting to add something back in each time I have to redo them. :-E
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen in the US   Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen in the US Empty

Back to top Go down

Solomon Islands 8.0 Earthquake as seen in the US
Page 1 of 1