Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

EEEEEWWWWW! Horse & pig meat found in "beef" hamburger

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

EEEEEWWWWW!  Horse & pig meat found in "beef" hamburger Empty
PostSubject: EEEEEWWWWW! Horse & pig meat found in "beef" hamburger   EEEEEWWWWW!  Horse & pig meat found in "beef" hamburger EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 5:00 pm

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-01/eat-burger-ireland-it-might-be-made-horse

Okay, I'm not saying it is a health hazard, but the meat should be labeled with the actual ingredients.

Quote :
The Irish version of the FDA, called the FSAI, has found distinctly non-beef animal protein in ground meat labeled "beef," in some supermarkets. Meat from two Irish processing plants has been found to contain substantial portions of pig and, curiously, horse DNA. Of 27 samples analyzed, 23 were found to contain pork, and 10 were found to contain horsemeat. In one sample collected from Tesco--a major supermarket chain all over the UK--approximately 29% of the meat was found to be horsemeat. Looks like it's not just seafood that isn't quite what it claims to be.

Quote :
...even though these samples of meat are safe, it does not speak very highly of the regulation in place for meat processing, especially in the UK, which has had the worst experience with BSE, commonly known as mad cow disease, of any country in the world.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

EEEEEWWWWW! Horse & pig meat found in "beef" hamburger
Page 1 of 1