Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

This is pretty neat. I hope it isn't a photoshop.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

This is pretty neat.  I hope it isn't a photoshop. Empty
PostSubject: This is pretty neat. I hope it isn't a photoshop.   This is pretty neat.  I hope it isn't a photoshop. EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 11:00 am

We have a pool table upstairs and I played my youngest son last night. He's getting better. He almost ran a table on me. Our oldest son is very good... I still win most of the time, but he gives me a run for my money.

This table would be a good learning experience. It not only shows the shot, but where the que ball will wind up after the shot.

This is pretty neat.  I hope it isn't a photoshop. YCvcn
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: This is pretty neat. I hope it isn't a photoshop.   This is pretty neat.  I hope it isn't a photoshop. EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 5:13 am

Sorta off subject but when I lived in Hutchinson, Kansas there was a hole in the wall bar there that had an L-shaped pool table, along with a few regular ones. The bar sold right before I moved back home and I can't recall the name of the it at the moment (it may have been Charlie's, not sure), and the new owners got rid of it even though it was a big draw to the bar.

This is pretty neat.  I hope it isn't a photoshop. 4749618603_325889e1a7_m
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: This is pretty neat. I hope it isn't a photoshop.   This is pretty neat.  I hope it isn't a photoshop. EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Riceme, that's an interesting pool table!

I used to play at the Golden Crown Recreation Center at Mobile Hwy & Fairfield. It was a family-run place and the old lady that ran the place ran it as family-friendly as any pool place I have been to. They had a huge snooker table that, back in the 1960's, cost a dollar to play a game. It was in the background of the movie Minnesota Fats... the one with Jackie Gleason as the star. How big was it, you say? You had to use a bridge on it sometimes to shoot ACROSS the WIDTH of the table.

My best night was when I visited a friend in Louisiana. We were playing 8-ball. I broke and ran the rack, broke and ran the second rack, and broke and ran the third rack! My buddy hadn't had a shot. He put his stick up and said he "had enough for the night". It was like that scene in Caddyshack where the bishop is playing golf in the rain and lightening is flashing all around and he was having such a great round, he couldn't quit.

Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: This is pretty neat. I hope it isn't a photoshop.   This is pretty neat.  I hope it isn't a photoshop. EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 10:14 pm

It is interesting, isn't it?? Now that you mention it I seem to recall that it cost more per game to play on the 90-degree table than on a regular table at that great little hole-in-the-wall bar in Hutch. But man, people LOVED it and would come from all over just to play that table.

As much time as I've spent in bars in my life, I never did learn to play pool. I've gotten my arm twisted into playing darts on several occasions, and my accuracy is notorious among my friends: half the time I hit the bullseye, the other half... well, you better watch out, because I don't even make the board. One of my old managers was great at darts and always used to pick me to be on his team because he knew that even though I didn't even score 50% of the time, I'd hit the bullseye the other fifty.

He was a great manager, and we're still really good friends... He used to hold our "staff meetings" at O'Reilly's Pub on Creighton (because it was close to the factory, his house, and to the I-10 on-ramp (for me)). When we were sent home for hurricanes, tornadoes or storms, we always "took shelter" at Bennigan's, primarily because they had food and it was also close to the 10. lol. In either case, he would come out to where our offices were and announce, "STAFF MEETING, 1530 sharp! Don't be late!" or "Okay kids, everyone meet at the Storm Shelter NOW! Pack up, everyone out!!" Our other manager (his manager) was a total prick, not to mention dumb. He never did catch-on where we were having our Staff Meetings or where the "Storm Shelter" was. lol. He was a real Sensitive Sally, so there's no doubt his little feelers were hurt that he was never invited to the Storm Shelter or to a Staff Meeting. Tee hee.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: This is pretty neat. I hope it isn't a photoshop.   This is pretty neat.  I hope it isn't a photoshop. EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 9:27 am

Eric wrote:
We have a pool table upstairs and I played my youngest son last night. He's getting better. He almost ran a table on me. Our oldest son is very good... I still win most of the time, but he gives me a run for my money.

This table would be a good learning experience. It not only shows the shot, but where the que ball will wind up after the shot.

Eric wouldn't the type and amount of English, as well as the speed on the que ball determine where it ends up?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: This is pretty neat. I hope it isn't a photoshop.   This is pretty neat.  I hope it isn't a photoshop. EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 8:33 pm

Ghost_Rider1949 wrote:
Eric wrote:

Eric wouldn't the type and amount of English, as well as the speed on the que ball determine where it ends up?

I think it is just calculating trajectories based upon no english. Speed of cue must be calculated by the shooter to achieve enough velocity to meet desired result. (How's that for BS?)
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: This is pretty neat. I hope it isn't a photoshop.   This is pretty neat.  I hope it isn't a photoshop. EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 8:35 am

Eric wrote:
Ghost_Rider1949 wrote:
Eric wrote:

I think it is just calculating trajectories based upon no english. Speed of cue must be calculated by the shooter to achieve enough velocity to meet desired result. (How's that for BS?)

Sounds good to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is pretty neat. I hope it isn't a photoshop.   This is pretty neat.  I hope it isn't a photoshop. Empty

Back to top Go down

This is pretty neat. I hope it isn't a photoshop.
Page 1 of 1