Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

_The Solace of Open Spaces_ by Gretel Ehrlich

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
riceme

riceme

_The Solace of Open Spaces_ by Gretel Ehrlich Empty
PostSubject: _The Solace of Open Spaces_ by Gretel Ehrlich   _The Solace of Open Spaces_ by Gretel Ehrlich EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 2:49 pm

The Solace of Open Spaces by Gretel Ehrlich is one of my all-time favorite books (I am an avid reader), which I have read countless times. Very highly recommended.

Reviews:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/166990.The_Solace_of_Open_Spaces

To purchase &/or read reviews @Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the%20solace%20of%20open%20spaces

Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: _The Solace of Open Spaces_ by Gretel Ehrlich   _The Solace of Open Spaces_ by Gretel Ehrlich EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 7:34 am

I'm not familiar with this title, Riceme. I'll have to see if BooksAMillion has it. I can use my handy-dandy new membership to buy the book.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: _The Solace of Open Spaces_ by Gretel Ehrlich   _The Solace of Open Spaces_ by Gretel Ehrlich EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 6:29 pm

Looks like you might be able to get it a BAM, PB... Or, you could always get it at Amazon. I think you would really love it. It is in my Top 10 Favorites and I read it about once every year or so since my mom gave me her own copy when I was sixteen. It is a short book, but don't let that fool you... it is rich with imagery and very thought provoking.

http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Solace-Open-Spaces/Gretel-Ehrlich/9780140081138

http://www.amazon.com/Solace-Open-Spaces-Gretel-Ehrlich/dp/0140081135

Here are a couple of editorial reviews:

Quote :
Amazon.com Review
"Everything in nature invites us constantly to be what we are. We are often like rivers: careless and forceful, timid and dangerous, lucid and muddied, eddying, gleaming, still." Whether she's reflecting on nature's teachings, divulging her experiences as a cowpuncher, or painting vivid word portraits of the people she lives and works with, Gretel Ehrlich's observations are lyrical and funny, wise and authentic. After moving from the city to a vast new state, she writes of adjusting to cowboy life, boundless open spaces, and the almost incomprehensible harshness of a Wyoming winter:

"When it's fifty below, the mercury bottoms out and jiggles there as if laughing at those of us still above ground. Once I caught myself on tiptoes, peering down into the thermometer as if there were an extension inside inscribed with higher and higher declarations of physical misery: ninety below to the power of ten and so on."

After experiencing the isolated life of a sheep herder, she writes, "Keenly observed the world is transformed. The landscape is engorged with detail, every movement on it chillingly sharp. The air between people is charged. Days unfold, bathed in their own music. Nights become hallucinatory; dreams, prescient."

Ehrlich's gift is one of subtle precision. She writes beauty into the plainest of thoughts and meaning into the simplest of ideas: "True solace is finding none, which is to say, it is everywhere." --Kathryn True

Quote :
Review
Gretel Ehrlich is the kind of writer who teaches you that prose can be poetry. In The Solace of Open Spaces she writes about coming to terms with the death of the man she loves, about her life in Wyoming, and about what it means to live in wide spaces and interact primarily with animals. Each of these essays is a piece unto itself; sentence after sentence can be savored like hard candy until every bit of flavor comes out. There is much to learn about Wyoming here; Gretel Ehrlich has a mind for details and the reader comes away fully educated about sheep herding, rodeos, cabin fever, and the value of water. But it is how Gretel Ehrlich writes as much as what she writes that makes her work exceptional. Her words soar and swoop and remind us that writing can always be more than just telling what happened: "The truest art I would strive for in any work would be to give the page the same qualities as earth: weather would land on it harshly; light would elucidate the most difficult truths; wind would sweep away obtuse padding." -- For great reviews of books for girls, check out Let's Hear It for the Girls: 375 Great Books for Readers 2-14. -- From 500 Great Books by Women; review by Erica Bauermeister

http://www.amazon.com/Solace-Open-Spaces-Gretel-Ehrlich/dp/product-description/0140081135/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: _The Solace of Open Spaces_ by Gretel Ehrlich   _The Solace of Open Spaces_ by Gretel Ehrlich EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 8:01 pm

I love all of the Nicholas Sparks books and movies.. The Choice is my favorite..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: _The Solace of Open Spaces_ by Gretel Ehrlich   _The Solace of Open Spaces_ by Gretel Ehrlich Empty

Back to top Go down

_The Solace of Open Spaces_ by Gretel Ehrlich
Page 1 of 1