Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Section 8 housing is on the move

Go down 
+3
Eric
mediawatcher
Nosyarg
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Nosyarg

Section 8 housing is on the move Empty
PostSubject: Section 8 housing is on the move   Section 8 housing is on the move EmptySun May 08, 2016 11:31 am

Listed below are the first few paragraphs of a relatively long and interesting New York Post article.  It looks as if Section 8 housing will be used as a tool to force integration of the poor and the wealthy.

I wonder what other things President Obama will do immediately before he leaves office.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/08/obamas-last-act-is-to-force-suburbs-to-be-less-white-and-less-wealthy/

Quote :
Hillary’s rumored running mate, Housing Secretary Julian Castro, is cooking up a scheme to reallocate funding for Section 8 housing to punish suburbs for being too white and too wealthy.

The scheme involves super-sizing vouchers to help urban poor afford higher rents in pricey areas, such as Westchester County, while assigning them government real-estate agents called “mobility counselors” to secure housing in the exurbs.

Castro plans to launch the Section 8 reboot this fall, even though a similar program tested a few years ago in Dallas has been blamed for shifting violent crime to affluent neighborhoods.

It’s all part of a grand scheme to forcibly desegregate inner cities and integrate the outer suburbs.

Anticipating NIMBY resistance, Castro last month threatened to sue suburban landlords for discrimination if they refuse even Section 8 tenants with criminal records. And last year, he implemented a powerful new regulation — “Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing” — that pressures all suburban counties taking federal grant money to change local zoning laws to build more low-income housing (landlords of such properties are required to accept Section 8 vouchers).

Castro is expected to finalize the new regulation, known as “Small-Area Fair Market Rents” (SAFMR), this October, in the last days of the Obama presidency.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Section 8 housing is on the move   Section 8 housing is on the move EmptySun May 08, 2016 12:05 pm

Nosyarg wrote:
Listed below are the first few paragraphs of a relatively long and interesting New York Post article.  It looks as if Section 8 housing will be used as a tool to force integration of the poor and the wealthy.

I wonder what other things President Obama will do immediately before he leaves office.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/08/obamas-last-act-is-to-force-suburbs-to-be-less-white-and-less-wealthy/

Quote :
Hillary’s rumored running mate, Housing Secretary Julian Castro, is cooking up a scheme to reallocate funding for Section 8 housing to punish suburbs for being too white and too wealthy.

The scheme involves super-sizing vouchers to help urban poor afford higher rents in pricey areas, such as Westchester County, while assigning them government real-estate agents called “mobility counselors” to secure housing in the exurbs.

Castro plans to launch the Section 8 reboot this fall, even though a similar program tested a few years ago in Dallas has been blamed for shifting violent crime to affluent neighborhoods.

It’s all part of a grand scheme to forcibly desegregate inner cities and integrate the outer suburbs.

Anticipating NIMBY resistance, Castro last month threatened to sue suburban landlords for discrimination if they refuse even Section 8 tenants with criminal records. And last year, he implemented a powerful new regulation — “Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing” — that pressures all suburban counties taking federal grant money to change local zoning laws to build more low-income housing (landlords of such properties are required to accept Section 8 vouchers).

Castro is expected to finalize the new regulation, known as “Small-Area Fair Market Rents” (SAFMR), this October, in the last days of the Obama presidency.

Gotta wonder if this is the plan does this mean that liberals and others are accepting the fact that their plans dating back to the 60's haven't worked and that they now are attempting to relocate their failed policies into the suburbs....The war on poverty no matter how well intentioned has created generations of failure among the folks that it was intended to help rise up out of poverty...This and other similar type moves would not be surprising for the failed cowh/administration to attempt on his way out...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Section 8 housing is on the move   Section 8 housing is on the move EmptySun May 08, 2016 3:30 pm

Pretty dadgum heavy-handed to me.  If the gubment is subsidizing rent somewhere, I guess they can put reasonable 'strings' on that money.  Fail to meet those standards and you pull the funding... you don't sue 'em... and you don't require them to force zoning changes.  Zoning is a local issue, not a Federal issue.

If I was a landlord, I surely wouldn't want the Feds telling me I had to allow felons to live in my rental property. I would bet that felons, as a group, cause more damage to rental property, and if a lot of felons are living in close proximity, property values will most likely go down. Recidivism rates show that felons are most likely to continue their unlawful ways.

Government is going away from protecting it's citizens... and is seemingly going toward bullying, surveilling, and controlling it's populace.   Hang on, comrades... the ride is getting bumpier.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
PkrBum

PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: Section 8 housing is on the move   Section 8 housing is on the move EmptySun May 08, 2016 4:24 pm

It's not very politically correct of you to be objective and honest... lol. The sooner the govt can cure humans of common sense... the sooner we can live in utopiaville.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Section 8 housing is on the move   Section 8 housing is on the move EmptyMon May 09, 2016 5:54 am

PkrBum wrote:
It's not very politically correct of you to be objective and honest... lol. The sooner the govt can cure humans of common sense... the sooner we can live in utopiaville.

What else will this administration/cowh pull before leaving?....They've set out on a redistribution of wealth....guess it only makes sense they'd start a redistribution of crime...
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Section 8 housing is on the move   Section 8 housing is on the move EmptyMon May 09, 2016 10:34 am

What good will it do to move a subsidized felon into a wealthy area even if their housing is paid for? A wealthy neighborhood will have high end stores (out of reach for entitlement crowds) and the schools will not be dumbed down to teach the lowest common denominator. There is a reason people move to wealthier areas - THEY have worked and earned the right to live where they can afford to live. The entitlement crowd has not.
Back to top Go down
Markle

Markle

PostSubject: Re: Section 8 housing is on the move   Section 8 housing is on the move EmptyMon May 09, 2016 12:41 pm

This could backfire.

Unless it has changed recently, an owner is not forced to take tenants with Section 8i housing. If you do not accept Sec. 8 housing in any of your properties, you cannot ACCEPT Sec. 8 in ANY of your properties.

I can see owners deciding that the benefit of accepting Sec. 8 housing, basically the certainty of at least most of the rent being paid in a timely manner, is not worth the risk.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Section 8 housing is on the move   Section 8 housing is on the move EmptyMon May 09, 2016 4:17 pm

Markle wrote:
This could backfire.

Unless it has changed recently, an owner is not forced to take tenants with Section 8i housing.  If you do not accept Sec. 8 housing in any of your properties, you cannot ACCEPT Sec. 8 in ANY of your properties.  

I can see owners deciding that the benefit of accepting Sec. 8 housing, basically the certainty of at least most of the rent being paid in a timely manner, is not worth the risk.  

Didn't know that....so if an owner protects interests from this he/she has to do the same for all their properties....Talk about people that will back out of sec 8 investments...
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Section 8 housing is on the move   Section 8 housing is on the move EmptyMon May 09, 2016 4:23 pm

nochain wrote:
What good will it do to move a subsidized felon into a wealthy area even if their housing is paid for? A wealthy neighborhood will have high end stores (out of reach for entitlement crowds) and the schools will not be dumbed down to teach the lowest common denominator. There is a reason people move to wealthier areas - THEY have worked and earned the right to live where they can afford to live. The entitlement crowd has not.

Correct....instead of giving how about creating a more favorable job market/economy and allow folks to earn/pull their way up to better living conditions....What happened to the concept of starting out and working up?...Much like the minimum wage debate....they used to be entry level jobs to get people started upward mobility in the job market with few exceptions wasn't meant to be careers....
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Section 8 housing is on the move   Section 8 housing is on the move EmptyTue May 10, 2016 9:30 am

Just look at what the section 8 housing areas looked like 10 years ago and what they look like now....  They will just turn nice developments into slums..
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Section 8 housing is on the move   Section 8 housing is on the move EmptyTue May 10, 2016 9:50 am

Jake92 wrote:
Just look at what the section 8 housing areas looked like 10 years ago and what they look like now....  They will just turn nice developments into slums..

I saw that happen in Jacksonville - a whole subdivision was built for subsidized housing (nice places too, nicer than the house we lived in). Withing 6 months it looked like a junkyard; screens torn out, junk cars everywhere, trash, and wrecked yards. Crime also jacked up considerably - we moved......

When someone has no sense of pride in ownership they won't take care of something that's handed to them.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Section 8 housing is on the move   Section 8 housing is on the move EmptyTue May 10, 2016 10:00 am

I try to keep my yard looking good, but it's hard with the sand that doesn't grow lawns very nicely..  It's harder yet when neighbors don't care or are gone most of the time and their leaves end up in my yard and pool all of the time..  LOL  I usually mow the lawn every other week or so, but the neighbors mow their every month or so.. Having a school bus stop very close by doesn't help either..  There are usually cans or papers in the front yard a few times a week..  I spend most of my efforts keeping the back yard and pool clean and the veggies and flowers growing in my gardens..  It isn't too bad, but takes an hour or so every day..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Section 8 housing is on the move   Section 8 housing is on the move Empty

Back to top Go down

Section 8 housing is on the move
Page 1 of 1