Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards Empty
PostSubject: Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards   Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 3:06 pm

I may have mentioned lately that these "new" cards... new to the USA but have been in use in Europe for years... are vulnerable.  The chip can be read from a close proximity using NFC (near field communication) technology.  Thus, unshielded cards can be cloned easily.  I keep my only Chip and PIN card inside a foil-lined sheath and the sheath keeps the chip from being cloned.  These sheaths and some shielding wallets can be found on the Internet, if you're interested in protecting your bank account.

Once the chip is cloned, you say, "Okay, they STILL don't have my PIN number."  I read this today HERE.

Quote :
The French fraudsters took advantage of a long-known but theoretical vulnerability in chip-and-PIN systems to execute what the researchers describe as a “man-in-the-middle” attack that takes advantage of how cards and card readers communicate. When a buyer inserts his or her card and enters a PIN, the card reader queries the card’s chip as to whether the PIN is correct. A fraudulent chip can listen for that query and pre-empt the real chip with its own answer: a “yes” signal regardless of whatever random PIN the fraudster has entered. “The attacker intercepts the PIN query and replies that it’s correct, whatever the code is,” says ENS researcher Rémi Géraud. “That’s the core of the attack.”

If you have a card that has this gold symbol shown below, you have a card that can be cloned just by being in close proximity to it.
Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards 2Q==
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards   Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 12:56 am

Dang. I was hoping that my fancy duct tape wallet offered some protection but I just googled "what is duct tape made of" and it looks like I'm out of luck. In any case, there is only one chip reader machine in the interior and I can't afford the store that has it.

At any rate, people continue to suck.
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards   Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 4:03 pm

Funny. My debit card was hijacked in the Target deal a couple of years ago. New debit card issued. Then Target says get a store card! You'll enjoy a discount on every purchase. Got one. They sent a new one a few weeks back. Yep, you guessed it - the CHIP

Conspiracy.

hee...
Back to top Go down
Eddard

Eddard

PostSubject: Re: Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards   Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards EmptyThu Nov 12, 2015 9:20 pm

I have one chip card and when I insert it into a machine, the machine never asks me for a PIN.
The card is from Wells Fargo bank.
BTW, my Sam's credit card does not seem to call for a PIN either. What is up with cards that don't require pins?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards   Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards EmptyFri Nov 13, 2015 8:12 am

Looks like they haven't rolled out the extra security measure of requiring a PIN.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards   Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 10:25 pm

We are starting to get the machines up here... Home Depot and Lowe's have them. I had to enter my PIN.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards   Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards Empty

Back to top Go down

Chip 'n PIN Credit Cards
Page 1 of 1