Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BobW

BobW

Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave? Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave?   Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave? EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 8:06 am

We call it the "tree tunnel". These photos will explain how it came into existence.

Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave? Baars_10
Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave? Baars_11
Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave? Baars_12

Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave?   Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave? EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 8:08 am

Wow... that's cool.
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave?   Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave? EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 3:45 pm

Eric spotted the photos on a facebook page and emailed them to me.
My cousin and I had been looking for an actual picture of the place for 20 years. Never had been able to find one.
He lived near it in Cordova Park when it was still in existence in the late 50's. We believe it was demolished about 1960.
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave?   Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave? EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 3:53 pm

This is from pensapedia...

The Baars Family Estate is the collection of land holdings acquired by Henry Baars and his wife Mary Ellison in the late-19th and early-20th centuries.

According to family lore, whenever Henry Baars would ask his wife what she wanted for a gift, she would instruct him to "buy land." By the time of her death in 1923, the Baars' holdings included more than 4,000 acres north of Hyde Park Road and the city limits, bounded roughly by Bayou Texar, Carpenter's Creek and Davis Highway easterly to Escambia Bay.

Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave?   Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave? EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 6:50 am

Interesting! I love those trees. When I was a kid and if Daddy was not working, he would take us on a drive to Dairy Queen, downtown around the Municipal Auditorium, up 12th Avenue through the "tunnel" and then to the airport to watch the planes land and take off.

Good life. Wink

Also remember one of the first things I was concerned about, after family, was how the oaks withstood Ivan.
Back to top Go down
Eddard

Eddard

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave?   Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave? EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 4:29 pm

They are the most beautiful part of Pensacola, except for maybe Scenic Highway. Thanks for that information Bob. I had no idea they were once a "driveway."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave?   Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave? Empty

Back to top Go down

Has anyone here ever seen the canopy of trees on North Twelth Ave?
Page 1 of 1