Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Net Neutrality

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
PkrBum

PkrBum

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 5:07 pm

I'm amazed that we the people are so gullible as to continually fall for progressive overreach disguised as a noble intent. The fcc hasn't even released the proposed regulations... and now refused to testify in front on congress regarding the topic.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/414380/fcc-chair-refuses-testify-congress-ahead-net-neutrality-vote-andrew-johnson

What we will see eventually is less access at slower speeds for a greater cost. That is what a regulatory body and bureaucrats do... increase their size and scope... everytime. There should be NO citizen supporting this without complete transparency and full vetted disclosure... period.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 5:17 pm

'Bum, we have become a nation of despots with an appointed czar over every aspect of our lives. Unfortunately, transparency is only a promise... never to be realized.

Net Neutrality Trth
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
PkrBum

PkrBum

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 5:24 pm

Before anyone parrots the talkingpoint that there is a fairness issue... I do think there are some things that should be legislated in the OPEN in congress by our elected representatives. There is also a concern that there has been improper influence put upon what should be a neutral regulatory body by the white house. The regulations from what I've heard but am not allowed to confirm is that there are over three hundred and thirty pages so far. In my experience... fair can usually be found within a page org two.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2886968/republican-lawmakers-investigate-white-house-net-neutrality-push.html
Back to top Go down
Eddard

Eddard

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 8:11 pm

Net neutrality is just another issue Obama campaigned on but has refused to take a lead on.
Just another failure of a fairly lazy president.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 4:13 am

PkrBum wrote:
Before anyone parrots the talkingpoint that there is a fairness issue... I do think there are some things that should be legislated in the OPEN in congress by our elected representatives. There is also a concern that there has been improper influence put upon what should be a neutral regulatory body by the white house. The regulations from what I've heard but am not allowed to confirm is that there are over three hundred and thirty pages so far. In my experience... fair can usually be found within a page org two.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2886968/republican-lawmakers-investigate-white-house-net-neutrality-push.html

'Fairness' is how they got their foot in the door and once in it's taken off out of control....George Soros is a driving force behind this mess...Some in the liberal community have figured out if you can't compete with conservatives in the media...just silence them... But, in all fairness there are liberals that are just as ticked about this as anyone else...

Another example of the 'most open and transparent administration in U.S. History'....or so we were told and a majority believed twice...
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 12:58 pm

The fcc passed their secret regulations and determinations. It's almost funny... the left are celebrating something again that they in reality have no idea what it entails. All they know is that bureaucrats, that refused to disclose or testify, have used their position of power to take over control of another private industry. Control is effective ownership... can anyone think of something/anything that the govt isn't involved in?
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 1:39 pm

Self defense is a God given right. When they take that away you are less than a cow. Even a cow would fight if he saw his life was endangered. However lately TPTB let their minions murder us without much notice so we may already be just cattle. We teach others how to treat us. Americans have grown soft and pliable.
Back to top Go down
Eddard

Eddard

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 2:41 pm

mediawatcher wrote:
PkrBum wrote:

'Fairness' is how they got their foot in the door and once in it's taken off out of control....George Soros is a driving force behind this mess...Some in the liberal community have figured out if you can't compete with conservatives in the media...just silence them... But, in all fairness there are liberals that are just as ticked about this as anyone else...

Another example of the 'most open and transparent administration in U.S. History'....or so we were told and a majority believed twice...

No. A majority did not believe it twice. They just did not have a choice. You'll never understand that as long as the Republican party gives us the far right candidates that their primaries send up to compete we will never vote Republican. Until sane Republicans show up to vote in the primaries and not just the tea party nuts, you won't be able to nominate a decent choice. I definitely did not believe Obama in the last election. But I wasn't going to vote for somebody that just promised way  more of what Obama had been doing the last few years and that person was Mitt Romney. Before that they tried to push Sarah Palin down our throats as a VP Candidate. She was a choice most sane people just could not believe. Most people couldn't even believe the Republicans wanted her that close to the Oval office.
When Republicans get real they might win a national election again.
Until then we'll have a gerrymandered House of Representatives, no real Majority in the Senate, and a Democratic POTUS.

It could be years and years of stagnation in our government.
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 2:58 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Self defense is a God given right. When they take that away you are less than a cow. Even a cow would fight if he saw his life was endangered. However lately TPTB let their minions murder us without much notice so we may already be just cattle. We teach others how to treat us. Americans have grown soft and pliable.

I think the tide is heading toward disarming the populace... probably sooner than later. The 2nd is already the only "right" that requires a permit to exercise... and we know how much the govt respects the other rights. They flat lie about it... but when proven to be lying such as in the metadata gathering... no one even gets fired or goes to jail. We've certainly been domesticated.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 4:23 pm

They probably could march 60% of the populace into gas chambers with little resistance.
Back to top Go down
Eddard

Eddard

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 8:13 pm

No doubt. Especially if they dressed the gas chambers up as sports bars.
Back to top Go down
Eddard

Eddard

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 8:21 pm

PkrBum wrote:
The fcc passed their secret regulations and determinations. It's almost funny... the left are celebrating something again that they in reality have no idea what it entails. All they know is that bureaucrats, that refused to disclose or testify, have used their position of power to take over control of another private industry. Control is effective ownership... can anyone think of something/anything that the govt isn't involved in?

So, you'd like it if Cox Cable had the power to slow down Netflix servers and make the only decent entertainment on the internet their own? They have enough money to force that if they chose to do so. Just not with the new regulations.
I'm not a genius about Net Neutrality so I asked my children. Who else would know? They are all firmly on the side of the regulations the FCC passed.
They say that without it we would end up with one huge source for all our providers and no competition at all. Everybody's service would be lousy and expensive.

This is pro free enterprise. It seems like an issue you guys would agree with.

Monopolies are never a good idea.
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 8:30 pm

That is the result of the utility regulation... see telephone companies. There wasn't even a legitimate or current crisis to fix... and the last solution I want to see are three bureaucrats dictating hundreds of pages of secret regulations to decide for hundreds of millions of americans. What does the govt do so well that it should control what has been an enormous private sector success... that post office? I find no excuse that these rules were not disclosed and debated prior to being shoved down our throats... none.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 7:40 am

But, they were disclosed numerous times. I remember reading about their intentions numerous times. This was highly publicized and millions of Americans overwhelmingly endorsed Net Neutrality.

This was no back-room decision that was sprung upon an unsuspecting public.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 7:46 am

LINK Seeking public comment

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/09/17/349243335/3-7-million-comments-later-heres-where-net-neutrality-stands
Quote :
The window for the public to weigh in on how federal rule-makers should treat Internet traffic is closed, after a record 3.7 million comments arrived at the FCC. The Sunlight Foundation analyzed the first 800,000 and found that fewer than 1 percent were opposed to net neutrality enforcement.
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 8:00 am

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0LO2AH20150220?irpc=932

Although the FCC has not publicly disclosed specifics of the seven factors, an FCC spokeswoman told Reuters that three of those guidance criteria are related to impact on competition, innovation, and free expression.

Industry sources say the other four criteria focus on impact on broadband deployment and investments; whether actions in question are specific to some applications and not others; whether they comply with industry best standards and practices; and whether they take place without the awareness of the end-user, the Internet subscriber.

Telecom and cable lobbyists say the rules' vague guidelines could effectively require the companies to consult the FCC every time they want to create a new service, to make sure it doesn't run afoul of the rule.

Net neutrality advocates for their part, worry that the rules will lack clarity for both the Internet providers and potential complainants, making them harder to administer and potentially leading to arbitrary interpretation.
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 8:09 am

This is the fcc chairman refusing to testify before congress ahead of the vote to describe the directives and regulations.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/414380/fcc-chair-refuses-testify-congress-ahead-net-neutrality-vote-andrew-johnson
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 8:17 am

The improper administration influence over the fcc... and their refusal to disclose the contact.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2881432/lawmakers-question-white-house-influence-on-fccs-net-neutrality-turnaround.html

A U.S. congressional committee has asked FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler whether the White House improperly influenced his decision to seek tighter regulation of Internet service providers.

Wheeler proposed a set of rules last May that would have taken a light touch on net neutrality, allowing practices like paid prioritization of traffic in some cases. In November, President Barack Obama took a tougher stance, saying he favors regulating Internet companies as if they were utilities. The draft Open Internet Order that Wheeler circulated at the FCC this week takes an approach close to the one Obama advocated.

Obama appointed Wheeler to his post, but the FCC is an independent agency. Wheeler’s original net neutrality plan drew strong criticism from activists, and some analysts said Obama’s statements gave Wheeler the political cover to call for tighter rules.

Wheeler’s shift raises questions about whether Obama had undue influence over the FCC’s rulemaking process, according to Rep. Jason Chaffetz, the Republican chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. In a letter sent Friday, he asked Wheeler to disclose all communications with the White House concerning the net neutrality plan.

Among other things, the committee wants calendar appointments, visitor logs and minutes regarding meetings between FCC officials and representatives from the White House and other agencies that are involved with net neutrality. The letter requests those documents by Feb. 20.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 8:27 am

Seem like partisan witch hunts.  Politics as usual.  

Did you read my thread about the money that ISPs are throwing at this, and how many members of this committee own ISP stocks?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 8:30 am

This doesn't negate the fact that millions and millions of Americans are getting what they overwhelmingly asked for.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 9:38 am

There is a reason that cable companies are spending hundreds of millions of dollars to lobby lawmakers. This is the reason they are fighting Net Neutrality (all bullshit aside). 

MONEY!

Net Neutrality _70717869_countries_with_high_speed_broadband
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 9:56 am

Yet the result wasn't influenced by private interests... it was secretly influenced by a very progressive administration and mandated to us all by three bureaucrats in secret. As to the public opinion... they were lead to fear something that hasn't even happened yet... except in one instance by comcast which was quickly resolved. The internet has been an unmitigated private success... built and innovated by private interests. Yes they have tried aggressively to maintain control of their holdings... which have worked well. Instead we have now turned over control to an authoritarian entities that couldn't even put a website on the market to sell obamacaid. I just don't understand why people think there is some benevolent or compassionate tendency to govt... that certainly isn't the common result. Again... I would prefer OPEN consideration of these issues and concerns in congress by our elected representatives... radical I know.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 10:15 am

I agree that it takes money to expand infrastructure, but our internet providers have had exclusive cable franchises and are obviously wanting to protect their cash cow.

In areas where municipalities have succeeded in fighting cable companies over the municipalities' right to install competing internet service at cheaper rates, the cable companies have lowered their prices to compete. It is not easy at all for anyone to compete against the big ISPs. Competition is thwarted by ISPs every chance they can.

And the big cable companies throw huge junkets, calling them information sessions, where congressmen and state regulators are treated to resort stays... all in an effort to maintain their grasp on the dollar.

I am not in favor of more government regulation, but dammit, I don't like being screwed by big companies that dictate higher prices than they should.

No governmental action is achieved without some private conversations. It is my opinion that the FCC made an unprecedented effort to get the opinion of the nation's populace and acted in their favor, closed-door discussions notwithstanding.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 10:20 am

Fear of something that hasn't happened yet?  

At this time, we are paying more for internet service than most of the rest of the world... this isn't a future thing.

Netflix was pretty much forced into agreement(s) to pay for fast lanes.  Not a future thing at all.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality EmptySat Feb 28, 2015 10:27 am

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/186576-verizon-caught-throttling-netflix-traffic-even-after-its-pays-for-more-bandwidth
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Net Neutrality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Net Neutrality   Net Neutrality Empty

Back to top Go down

Net Neutrality
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next