Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Should they bring back Trader Jon's?

Go down 
+2
nochain
Eric
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Should they bring back Trader Jon's? Empty
PostSubject: Should they bring back Trader Jon's?   Should they bring back Trader Jon's? EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 12:01 pm

Article at InWeekly

Should they bring back Trader Jon's? 5329319703_d8b26ee8f6_z

Rick Outzen wrote:
I would like the Destination 2020 folks to consider helping bring back an iconic attraction, which was part of our military history for 50 years, as part of its strategy. It is a place of which generations of aviators still have fond memories—Trader Jon’s.

From 1953-2003, Trader Jon’s was the top off-base destinations for military personnel and one of the most popular tourist attractions in Pensacola. Owned and operated by Martin “Trader Jon” Weissman and his wife, Jackii, the bar on south Palafox Street was frequented by flight students, astronauts and celebrities such as comedian Bob Hope and actor John Wayne.

Sen. John McCain drank there when he went through flight training at NAS Pensacola. He joked at a campaign rally for Mitt Romney at The Fish House that he might still have an open tab at Trader’s.

Through the years, Weissman collected aviation artifacts such as flight suits and model airplanes and put them on the walls of the old bar. According to Pensacola lore, many of the items were given to pay off bar tabs.

Visitors flocked to the place to share drinks with aviators—some of which may have actually been Blue Angels. The movie “An Officer and a Gentleman” depicted the bar as “T.J.’s.” When Bob Hope celebrated the 75th anniversary of Naval aviation with a TV special on the Lady Lex in 1986, Trader Jon was included in one of the sketches. In 1992, Trader Jon’s was designated a historical site by the state. The historic marker is all that lasts for retired aviators who still have fond memories.

After Weissman had his stroke, the bar was closed for two years. It reopened in 2000 with a new owner, but he had to close the doors in 2003. A local law firm bought the 10,000-piece collection of military memorabilia. The late Jack Fetterman had wanted to rebuild Trader’s Jon in a maritime museum at the Community Maritime Park, but that never happened.

It is time we resurrect Trader Jon’s and draw the old fly boys and their families back to Pensacola.

I had some good times there... what I remember of them, lol.  (Almost passed out in there one time.)

I'm not sure it could ever be the same without Trader.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Should they bring back Trader Jon's?   Should they bring back Trader Jon's? EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 2:18 pm

An ex-pilot tried to make a go of it after Trader died and it never caught on. I gave trader a set of my cammies after Desert Storm to hang up after he asked for them. I didn't go there that much after that but he always gave me a beer on the house when I did stop in.

Had some wild parties there when I was a youngen on the Lady Lex.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Should they bring back Trader Jon's?   Should they bring back Trader Jon's? EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 5:42 pm

He used to have a large cargo net that he used to hang stuff from. I think the fire dept made him take it down. In the 60s he would trade for most any thing. Once I found a large turtle shell and traded it to him for a couple of cases of Falstaff. He was a OK guy not near the legend ever one makes of him..
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Should they bring back Trader Jon's?   Should they bring back Trader Jon's? EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 5:49 pm

nochain wrote:
An ex-pilot tried to make a go of it after Trader died and it never caught on. I gave trader a set of my cammies after Desert Storm to hang up after he asked for them. I didn't go there that much after that but he always gave me a beer on the house when I did stop in.

Had some wild parties there when I was a youngen on the Lady Lex.

Think that a lot or most of the collectable decor was sold off...
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Should they bring back Trader Jon's?   Should they bring back Trader Jon's? EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 7:36 am

I don't think you can "bring back" Trader Jon's. At the time, it should have become part of Pensacola Aviation history. A treasure lost.

Just like the San Carlos...
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Should they bring back Trader Jon's?   Should they bring back Trader Jon's? EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 8:40 am

SheWrites wrote:
I don't think you can "bring back" Trader Jon's. At the time, it should have become part of Pensacola Aviation history.  A treasure lost.  

Just like the San Carlos...

A whole lot of history and memories were lost....Don't think there is the interest as there once was...
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Should they bring back Trader Jon's?   Should they bring back Trader Jon's? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 8:39 pm

mediawatcher wrote:

I was at a yard sale in East Hill last year.  There was a bar stool with a sign saying "Authentic Trader Jon's bar stool - best offer".
I talked to them and learned they were in-laws of Weisman's (Trader Jon) and they had gotten hold of the bar stool when
the place was being dismantled.
There was a notebook on it to write down whatever you wanted to offer and later they would call the high bidder.
I put down $50.  About 3 hours later they called to say I was the only one putting in a bid (should have put down $10).  lol

Should they bring back Trader Jon's? Trader10

This is one like it in Eric's photo. Could be the same one...

Should they bring back Trader Jon's? Trader11

Last edited by BobW on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Should they bring back Trader Jon's?   Should they bring back Trader Jon's? EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 6:57 am

I just found this on the Trader Jon's Pensapedia page...

"The Trader Jon's building was designated an historic site by the State of Florida in 1992."

http://www.pensapedia.com/wiki/Trader_Jon%27s

The my question is, how did the building get torn down? I thought places designated historic sites were
supposed to be preserved?
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Should they bring back Trader Jon's?   Should they bring back Trader Jon's? EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 7:20 am

Wasn't it damaged in Ivan??
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Should they bring back Trader Jon's?   Should they bring back Trader Jon's? EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 8:51 am

SheWrites wrote:
Wasn't it damaged in Ivan??

I think so. That must be the explanation.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Should they bring back Trader Jon's?   Should they bring back Trader Jon's? EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 8:54 am

BobW wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:

I was at a yard sale in East Hill last year.  There was a bar stool with a sign saying "Authentic Trader Jon's bar stool - best offer".
I talked to them and learned they were in-laws of Weisman's (Trader Jon) and they had gotten hold of the bar stool when
the place was being dismantled.
There was a notebook on it to write down whatever you wanted to offer and later they would call the high bidder.
I put down $50.  About 3 hours later they called to say I was the only one putting in a bid (should have put down $10).  lol

Should they bring back Trader Jon's? Trader10

This is one like it in Eric's photo. Could be the same one...

Should they bring back Trader Jon's? Trader11

Nice collectables...must be a lot floating around the community...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Should they bring back Trader Jon's?   Should they bring back Trader Jon's? EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 9:30 am

I don't have any physical mementos... but those memories... yessss!
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Should they bring back Trader Jon's?   Should they bring back Trader Jon's? EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 5:01 am

What should have been done is to preserve a major part of the interior stuff inside Trader's and reconstruct it in the Museum of Naval Aviation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should they bring back Trader Jon's?   Should they bring back Trader Jon's? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should they bring back Trader Jon's?
Page 1 of 1