Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I refuse to use the "Cloud".

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

I refuse to use the "Cloud". Empty
PostSubject: I refuse to use the "Cloud".   I refuse to use the "Cloud". EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 12:52 pm

I don't trust it. I certainly don't want hackers getting my personal information and passwords, but some companies keep shoving it on us. Every time I try to send an e-mail on my iPad, it pops up a window asking for my iCloud username/password. I just close out that window and ignore it.

Quote :
Nearly 7 million usernames and passwords from Dropbox, the free cloud service for storing your photos, videos, and documents across devices, were leaked onto the internet on Monday. And just days prior, speaking via remote at the New Yorker Festival, former NSA contractor Edward Snowden recommended that users drop Dropbox if they wanted to protect their privacy, according to TechCrunch.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/edward-snowden-warned-of-dropbox-hack-2014-10#ixzz3G8v3fEuX

The only "cloud" service is one that I maintain at my home. It is accessible via the interweb and, yes, it can be hacked, but why would a hacker pick on a single user when they can hack a major cloud service and access data from millions of users?
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: I refuse to use the "Cloud".   I refuse to use the "Cloud". EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 1:19 pm

You can't get away from the "cloud" if you have insurance, an email acct, or do banking chores online. The cloud is just software or apps that run off a server somewhere. The best personal self defense is not to put anything personal on sites like Facebook, etc. Once you post something to the "internet" it NEVER goes away. Here is an interesting article on cloud computing.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/03/technology/enterprise/what-is-the-cloud/
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: I refuse to use the "Cloud".   I refuse to use the "Cloud". EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 1:40 pm

I guess you could consider "the cloud" as being any information stored on a server connected to the internet, but what I am calling the "cloud" is dedicated data storage services.

Services like Dropbox, Apple iCloud, Box, JustCloud, MyPCBackup, Carbonite, Bitcasa, Amazon Cloud Drive, and BackupGenie exist only to store your data so that you can access it from any of your devices that are connected to the internet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I refuse to use the "Cloud".   I refuse to use the "Cloud". EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 6:08 pm

Eric wrote:
I guess you could consider "the cloud" as being any information stored on a server connected to the internet, but what I am calling the "cloud" is dedicated data storage services.  

Services like Dropbox, Apple iCloud, Box, JustCloud, MyPCBackup, Carbonite, Bitcasa, Amazon Cloud Drive, and BackupGenie exist only to store your data so that you can access it from any of your devices that are connected to the internet.

That's what I consider cloud too. And I don't use or trust them either.

This new, well not that new anymore computer wants me to store my stuff on a cloud, its built into this comp. I have refused.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: I refuse to use the "Cloud".   I refuse to use the "Cloud". EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 7:09 pm

About 8 years ago, I started using a piece of hardware called a Pogoplug. It hooks to the router which is connected to the 'net and the external hard drive connects to it. It's like having a hard drive on the internet. I got the upgrade Pogoplug when it became available.

That is great in principle, but it never met my expectations. It worked, kinda sorta.

I am going to do a NAS (Networked Attached Storage) with a dedicated PC connected to the internet and to a 2 TB external drive. I have the PC, but just haven't gotten around to converting it to an NAS yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I refuse to use the "Cloud".   I refuse to use the "Cloud". EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 7:40 pm

Eric wrote:
About 8 years ago, I started using a piece of hardware called a Pogoplug.  It hooks to the router which is connected to the 'net and the external hard drive connects to it.  It's like having a hard drive on the internet.  I got the upgrade Pogoplug when it became available.

That is great in principle, but it never met my expectations.  It worked, kinda sorta.

I am going to do a NAS (Networked Attached Storage) with a dedicated PC connected to the internet and to a 2 TB external drive.  I have the PC, but just haven't gotten around to converting it to an NAS yet.

I have no idea what you just said.

I know when I purchased this computer the guy at bestbuy tried to sell me a external hard drive. He said it works great for your storage and you can also use it to restore your computer if it crashes. I didn't get it. I kind of wish I did now.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: I refuse to use the "Cloud".   I refuse to use the "Cloud". EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 8:02 pm

You can still get one.  They usually connect via your computer's USB connection.  I have a bunch of 'em.

Best Buy has a portable 1 TB drive Toshiba - Canvio Connect 1TB External USB 3.0/2.0 Portable Hard Drive - for less than $50. I tried to post a link, but the forum wouldn't let me.

There are two types of external drives... a desktop drive (not recommended because they're fragile) and a portable drive (which is more rugged and you can carry it around with you).  The link above is for a portable drive.

You SHOULD have an external hard drive to back up your computer's data.  If your computer's hard drive dies, your data will be saved.  Programs aren't so important to back up because you either have the disks or can download them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I refuse to use the "Cloud".   I refuse to use the "Cloud". EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 8:30 pm

Eric wrote:
You can still get one.  They usually connect via your computer's USB connection.  I have a bunch of 'em.

Best Buy has a portable 1 TB drive Toshiba - Canvio Connect 1TB External USB 3.0/2.0 Portable Hard Drive - for less than $50.  I tried to post a link, but the forum wouldn't let me.

There are two types of external drives... a desktop drive (not recommended because they're fragile) and a portable drive (which is more rugged and you can carry it around with you).  The link above is for a portable drive.

You SHOULD have an external hard drive to back up your computer's data.  If your computer's hard drive dies, your data will be saved.  Programs aren't so important to back up because you either have the disks or can download them.

Im confused.

I did buy a $60. UBS thingy. But that wasn't what he was talking about. Wil that work as a hard drive? He said it was a box, about the size of a book or a little bigger.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: I refuse to use the "Cloud".   I refuse to use the "Cloud". EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Does it have any markings on it? Can you post it's model?

It may or may not be an external hard drive.

Most of my external drives are about the size of a cell phone, only a little bit thicker.

One, which is a Western Digital "MyBook" or something like that and it has two hard drives inside it.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: I refuse to use the "Cloud".   I refuse to use the "Cloud". EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 9:08 pm

If it is a hard drive, when you plug it in to the USB, in File Explorer (if it is a PC), you should see a new drive found and the system will assign it a new drive letter, like my PC assigned a drive letter to my SD card in the image below.

I refuse to use the "Cloud". Drive10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I refuse to use the "Cloud".   I refuse to use the "Cloud". Empty

Back to top Go down

I refuse to use the "Cloud".
Page 1 of 1