Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground Empty
PostSubject: Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground   Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 1:12 pm

Cape Coral, Florida (News-Press) -- A former prosecutor described him Thursday as a "time bomb" because seven years ago, he pointed a gun at a woman who simply wanted to read his electric meter.

On Wednesday, Kenneth Roop, 52, of Cape Coral, pointed a gun again, police say, and this time fired two shots, telling police he was "in fear." He is charged with second-degree murder in the death of Nick Rainey, 30, who wanted to sell him frozen steaks and lobster.

Rainey, an employee of Blue Ribbon Steak and Seafood, had just knocked on Roop's door at 1815 SW 30th Terrace and gotten no response when Roop pulled into the driveway, driving a pickup, according to an arrest report released Thursday.

Explaining his actions to police after the shooting, Roop said he became "more than a little nervous" as Rainey walked down the driveway toward his truck and appeared to have something in his hand.

As Rainey drew within 4 feet, Roop grabbed his 9mm Glock from his pocket and fired once, striking Rainey in the shoulder, he told police. Rainey fell to the ground, screaming, 'You shot me,' in what Roop described as an "antagonistic" manner, according to the report.

Roop said he was still in fear and thought Rainey was reaching for something, so he shot Rainey once more in the back of the head, "for effect," the report said. A company order brochure and cell phone were found near Rainey's body.

Roop told detectives Rainey should have respected his three "No Trespassing" signs and explained he didn't warn Rainey after pulling his weapon because, "I'm not going to give him the chance to do something to me; I was in fear." He told police he believes he possesses 14 firearms.

Seven years ago, Roop pulled a weapon and threatened a power company meter reader who had walked onto his property in Wildwood, south of Ocala, according to former prosecutor Ray Sotomayor.

Sotomayor led the state's case against Roop in 2005, when he was charged with improper exhibition of a weapon.

Sotomayor said the uniformed meter reader approached his home to perform her job when she was confronted by Roop, who was aiming his gun directly at her. He said she was terrified.

"I have no doubt he pointed it directly at her heart," he said. "This guy had a screw loose."

He said Roop's outlook was similar to "militia-minded, anti-government" types and that he was obsessed with the idea of guarding his home. Sotomayor recalled Roop saying: "I have a right to protect my property and my land. Nobody need come on there."

"I knew this guy was a time bomb, I really did," Sotomayor said. "It's unfortunate we didn't get him convicted."

Roop was found not guilty by a jury. It is the only charge on Roop's record, according to his attorney, Marquin Rinard.

Rinard said it was too early to tell whether Florida's stand-your-ground law might be used as a defense.

"Obviously, whatever avenues are available, we will explore them," he said.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/article/265739/250/Man-who-killed-door-to-door-salesman-described-as-time-bomb

Of course, he was in fear. Wingnuts live in fear. That's why they have so many guns. That's why we should call them pussies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground   Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 1:30 pm

I believe you are confusing fear with self preservation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground   Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 1:57 pm

Preserving his life from the dangers of frozen steaks and lobster tails?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground   Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 2:34 pm

That is not the point and you know darn well it isn't.
Back to top Go down
https://pensacoladaily.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground   Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 4:42 pm

Forgive me for missing something here. The guy shot someone that was on his property and is using the stand your ground law as a defense. The S.A charged him with 2nd degree murder. Whats the problem? You can use anything for a defense..in this case he is trying to use stand your ground. It's up to a jury of your peers to weed through the evidence and find justice.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground   Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 5:25 pm

Gunz wrote:
Forgive me for missing something here. The guy shot someone that was on his property and is using the stand your ground law as a defense. The S.A charged him with 2nd degree murder. Whats the problem? You can use anything for a defense..in this case he is trying to use stand your ground. It's up to a jury of your peers to weed through the evidence and find justice.

Yet salinsky wants use to believe that the guy was shooting steaks and lobster tails. I will wait and let the jury weigh in on this because some door to door sale people can be quite aggressive. We really do not know what happened during this confrontation other than that the homeowner shot a sales person.
Back to top Go down
https://pensacoladaily.forumotion.com
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground   Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 10:02 pm

When I was a Health inspector, I was told we could park in the drive and walk up to the front door... if there were no "no trespassing" signs posted. We had no right to walk around the property, look in the side yard, etc.

Meter readers have to be able to read the meter. Isn't it assault if you threaten someone with a weapon? I don't know why the guy was acquitted on threatening the woman... water over the bridge, I guess.

Surveyors have the right in Florida to come onto your property if they are doing a survey, too. They don't have to ask permission, but you would think they would extend the courtesy of letting you know what they're up to.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground   Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground Empty

Back to top Go down

Gun Nut Shoots Frozen Steak Guy - Claims Stand Yer Ground
Page 1 of 1