Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:29 pm

Somebody asked me that question today and it came to me like a bolt of lightning out of the blue. It's because young people and hippies and boomers and just most Floridians in general want to come and vote on it. Over 80% of us Floridians want it passed. And if we go to vote on medical marijuana, turnout will be heavy in the election this fall. Which nearly always favors democratic candidates. Which, gee, Charlie Crist will be one of.

LOL
Poor Rick. Getting pretty desperate.
Back to top Go down
nochain

avatar

Posts : 2888
Join date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:57 am

Really? He "personally" opposes it (as is his right although I am for it) but has no authority to keep Amendment 2 off the November ballot. He has already signed a partial solution into law. But that doesn't count - right?

"TALLAHASSEE — As he promised, Gov. Rick Scott signed a bill on Monday that legalizes the use of a noneuphoric strain of marijuana to treat conditions such as epilepsy, Lou Gehrig's disease and cancer."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/gov-scott-signs-charlottes-web-marijuana-bill-into-law/2184590

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:09 am

nochain wrote:
Really? He "personally" opposes it (as is his right although I am for it) but has no authority to keep Amendment 2 off the November ballot. He has already signed a partial solution into law. But that doesn't count - right?

"TALLAHASSEE — As he promised, Gov. Rick Scott signed a bill on Monday that legalizes the use of a noneuphoric strain of marijuana to treat conditions such as epilepsy, Lou Gehrig's disease and cancer."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/gov-scott-signs-charlottes-web-marijuana-bill-into-law/2184590


I guess the stoners wont be able to hide behind sick people now to get their pot.

Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:16 am

nochain wrote:
Really? He "personally" opposes it (as is his right although I am for it) but has no authority to keep Amendment 2 off the November ballot. He has already signed a partial solution into law. But that doesn't count - right?

"TALLAHASSEE — As he promised, Gov. Rick Scott signed a bill on Monday that legalizes the use of a noneuphoric strain of marijuana to treat conditions such as epilepsy, Lou Gehrig's disease and cancer."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/gov-scott-signs-charlottes-web-marijuana-bill-into-law/2184590


      The medical issue was signed a while back... and rightly so... Haven't heard of any effort on the part of the Governor and/or anyone else attempting to keep it off the ballot.... Early voting starts in a couple of weeks so the ballots would have already been printed.. right?
Back to top Go down
Eric

avatar

Posts : 9735
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 67
Location : Hoover, AL & Pensacola when I'm lucky

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:29 am

I read about a month ago, so I have forgotten the details, but the gist of the story is that SOMEBODY put pressure on the Florida Election Commission to deny putting the issue on the ballot. Maybe it was Scott, maybe not.

Maybe this is the article http://fcir.org/2013/12/04/florida-medical-marijuana-amendment/

_________________
Ideas are funny little things, they won't work unless you do.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:33 am

Eric wrote:
I read about a month ago, so I have forgotten the details, but the gist of the story is that SOMEBODY put pressure on the Florida Election Commission to deny putting the issue on the ballot.  Maybe it was Scott, maybe not.

Maybe this is the article http://fcir.org/2013/12/04/florida-medical-marijuana-amendment/

Know that the FL Sheriff's Association opposes...Makes no sense if suffering can be reduced... Thought Gov Scott had signed the bill after getting to his desk... Saw interviews of residents that supported/lobbied and they expressed their thankfulness...There have even been discussions about granting a license to those that would grow...Thought it had been decided..
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:59 am

I wonder why otter thinks the youth and hippies will come out to vote on medical marijuana? Is it because they have medical conditions they need it for?

No, we have a bunch of drug addicts in this state and the country in general. Pill heads.

80% Of republicans favor medical marijuana btw

I'll vote for it because I hope it reduces pill heads but I also will be voting for Rick Scott

Rick Scott said last year he didn't like the law the way it was written because it was too broad in who could have pot

So he passed a low grade pot law

Facts are most people for this law just want to get stoned and they are hiding behind sick people
Back to top Go down
Eric

avatar

Posts : 9735
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 67
Location : Hoover, AL & Pensacola when I'm lucky

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:03 am

mediawatcher wrote:
 Know that the FL Sheriff's Association opposes...Makes no sense if suffering can be reduced... Thought Gov Scott had signed the bill after getting to his desk... Saw interviews of residents that supported/lobbied and they expressed their thankfulness...There have even been discussions about granting a license to those that would grow...Thought it had been decided..

I guess the Sheriffs will have to catch real bad guys instead of padding their numbers arresting people just getting a little buzz.

I am against openly consuming MJ in public or driving while stoned, for that matter. There is a time and a place for everything and getting behind the wheel ain't it.

_________________
Ideas are funny little things, they won't work unless you do.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:05 am

*~Tree~* wrote:
I wonder why otter thinks the youth and hippies will come out to vote on medical marijuana? Is it because they have medical conditions they need it for?

No, we have a bunch of drug addicts in this state and the country in general. Pill heads.

80% Of republicans favor medical marijuana btw

I'll vote for it because I hope it reduces pill heads but I also will be voting for Rick Scott

Rick Scott said last year he didn't like the law the way it was written because it was too broad in who could have pot

So he passed a low grade pot law

Facts are most people for this law just want to get stoned and they are hiding behind sick people

Some of the news out of Colorado has not been favorable with the marijuana issue...Increases in homelessness and unemployment...Go figure stoners that only want to smoke...

In Florida believe that there were/are many on the left that wanted Gov Scott to veto to hand them an issue in the election... Even the much criticized 'religious right' supported legislation for the medical marijuana for those suffering... Anyone that has lost someone to that hideous disease would want to do whatever necessary to comfort them in any way...
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:08 am

Eric wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
 Know that the FL Sheriff's Association opposes...Makes no sense if suffering can be reduced... Thought Gov Scott had signed the bill after getting to his desk... Saw interviews of residents that supported/lobbied and they expressed their thankfulness...There have even been discussions about granting a license to those that would grow...Thought it had been decided..

I guess the Sheriffs will have to catch real bad guys instead of padding their numbers arresting people just getting a little buzz.

I am against openly consuming MJ in public or driving while stoned, for that matter.  There is a time and a place for everything and getting behind the wheel ain't it.

Predict: Huge increase in the sales of Oreos with Double Stuff and Ice Cold Milk!!!!....
Back to top Go down
Eric

avatar

Posts : 9735
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 67
Location : Hoover, AL & Pensacola when I'm lucky

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:11 am

If more states had legalized MJ, I believe the proportion of homeless to "homed" folks would even out. I don't think that MJ caused homelessness in Colorado to a significant degree... maybe some idiots DID, but probably not a lot.

Colorado is becoming a magnet for all kinds of folks, perhaps because it appears to be a live and let-live state.

_________________
Ideas are funny little things, they won't work unless you do.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:18 am

Eric wrote:
If more states had legalized MJ, I believe the proportion of homeless to "homed" folks would even out.  I don't think that MJ caused homelessness in Colorado to a significant degree... maybe some idiots DID, but probably not a lot.

Colorado is becoming a magnet for all kinds of folks, perhaps because it appears to be a live and let-live state.

Agree.... most like refugees from other states and their pot wars....
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

avatar

Posts : 1156
Join date : 2012-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:27 am

Pot heads will still have to deal with employee drug testing. A positive result is Not conducive for maintaining meaningful employment.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:33 am

Joanimaroni wrote:
Pot heads will still have to deal with employee drug testing. A positive result is Not conducive for maintaining meaningful employment.

That will certainly add a legal twist to this situation.... Will it then have to be more of observing under the influence behavior rather than random testing?.... If it's legal then aside from being stoned at work what will the law be if an employee indulges in his/her personal time and not within a time frame that would effect work?...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:03 am

*~Tree~* wrote:
I wonder why otter thinks the youth and hippies will come out to vote on medical marijuana? Is it because they have medical conditions they need it for?

No, we have a bunch of drug addicts in this state and the country in general. Pill heads.

80% Of republicans favor medical marijuana btw

I'll vote for it because I hope it reduces pill heads but I also will be voting for Rick Scott

Rick Scott said last year he didn't like the law the way it was written because it was too broad in who could have pot

So he passed a low grade pot law

Facts are most people for this law just want to get stoned and they are hiding behind sick people



Because they know that once marijuana is legitimized as a legal cure for illness a lot of the stigma will be removed. It is the first step towards legalization which a large majority of Americans now support.  Marijuana is by far a safer drug than alcohol. I'm betting you've had some yourself in the past there, tree.  Haven't you? Admit it.
It's totally hypocritical for our society to have legal drinking but not legal pot.


How do I know Rick Scott didn't want it on the ballot:

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Gov-Rick-Scot-Will-Vote-Against-Medical-Marijuana-241373721.html

Because he supported Pam Bondi in her effort to overturn the people's efforts to get it on the ballot.
Back to top Go down
nochain

avatar

Posts : 2888
Join date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:19 am

Otter wrote:
*~Tree~* wrote:
I wonder why otter thinks the youth and hippies will come out to vote on medical marijuana? Is it because they have medical conditions they need it for?

No, we have a bunch of drug addicts in this state and the country in general. Pill heads.

80% Of republicans favor medical marijuana btw

I'll vote for it because I hope it reduces pill heads but I also will be voting for Rick Scott

Rick Scott said last year he didn't like the law the way it was written because it was too broad in who could have pot

So he passed a low grade pot law

Facts are most people for this law just want to get stoned and they are hiding behind sick people



Because they know that once marijuana is legitimized as a legal cure for illness a lot of the stigma will be removed. It is the first step towards legalization which a large majority of Americans now support.  Marijuana is by far a safer drug than alcohol. I'm betting you've had some yourself in the past there, tree.  Haven't you? Admit it.
It's totally hypocritical for our society to have legal drinking but not legal pot.


How do I know Rick Scott didn't want it on the ballot:

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Gov-Rick-Scot-Will-Vote-Against-Medical-Marijuana-241373721.html

Because he supported Pam Bondi in her effort to overturn the people's efforts to get it on the ballot.

From your own link:

" I would personally vote against it," Scott said through a spokeswoman. "No matter my personal beliefs, however, a ballot initiative would be up to the voters to decide.""

What's wrong with that? I respect him for publically stating his personal opposition even though I don't personally agree with it.

I would argue legalization will decrease current enforcement costs and keep a lot of otherwise harmless people out of expensive and overcrowded jails/prisons.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

avatar

Posts : 1156
Join date : 2012-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:21 am

"No matter my personal beliefs, however, a ballot initiative would be up to the voters to decide."
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

avatar

Posts : 1156
Join date : 2012-07-31

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:23 am

Lol.....we posted the same thing, Nochain. The ballot, contrary to what was stated, is not up to Scott.
Back to top Go down
Eric

avatar

Posts : 9735
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 67
Location : Hoover, AL & Pensacola when I'm lucky

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:40 am

The ballot initiative was probably done because politicians are too concerned with staying in office than serving the wishes of their constituents, ergo, never pass a bill allowing the use of MJ that can get people high.

If an employer wants to dictate a "no MJ" policy, they can do it. Even if the employee does it on his or her own time and not at work. Just like they do with no-tobacco rules. Test positive for nicotine or MJ, you're outta here.

_________________
Ideas are funny little things, they won't work unless you do.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:
"No matter my personal beliefs, however, a ballot initiative would be up to the voters to decide."

    Sounds like what a politician should do in some cases....may be personally for or against but allows the majority to rule on the issue... With that quote then it doesn't sound that the initial question of this thread thread was correct...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Eric wrote:
The ballot initiative was probably done because politicians are too concerned with staying in office than serving the wishes of their constituents, ergo, never pass a bill allowing the use of MJ that can get people high.

If an employer wants to dictate a "no MJ" policy, they can do it.  Even if the employee does it on his or her own time and not at work.  Just like they do with no-tobacco rules.  Test positive for nicotine or MJ, you're outta here.

How can you say that wen he passed a LAW legalizing pot for medical purposes on his own? Is it just because its not good enough to get people high?

The liberal law firm morgan and morgan made suit to make sure it was on the ballot. And f a little truth b known to it, it is probably to lure more young drugged up hippies to the voting booth.

so proud
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:45 pm

Eric wrote:
The ballot initiative was probably done because politicians are too concerned with staying in office than serving the wishes of their constituents, ergo, never pass a bill allowing the use of MJ that can get people high.

If an employer wants to dictate a "no MJ" policy, they can do it.  Even if the employee does it on his or her own time and not at work.  Just like they do with no-tobacco rules.  Test positive for nicotine or MJ, you're outta here.


The ballot initiative was actually done against the wishes of Scott, regardless of what his quote was, and he did try to stop it early on.  The initiative was required by Florida law because the voters got enough signatures on petitions to force Tallahassee to put it on the ballot.  
That is the same thing that voters did with the class size amendment which Scott also opposes. There are certain things voters can do in Florida to bypass their governor and legislature, thank goodness. They have to amend the state constitution to get what they want done, especially when one party is in total control in Tallahassee.
And due to gerrymandering of our districts that might be the case for some time to come, except for the Governor. I don't think Scott has a snowball's chance in the fall.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:58 pm

don't voters always have to get enough signatures to get anything on the ballot?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:00 pm

oh god, rick scott is horrible he s against pot heads, run...................... I just realized it

lets get rid ofhim so we can all get high, lay around, get us some obamacare, eat cookies all day without working for it by buying them with our foodstamps.

what a life, cant wait
Back to top Go down
nochain

avatar

Posts : 2888
Join date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:01 pm

The two most "gerrymandered" states are North Carolina (Republican art work) and Maryland (Democrat artwork).

It's nothing new and who can trust politicians to do what is right anyway - their only goal is to get reelected regardless of party.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?   

Back to top Go down
 
Why is Rick Scott trying so hard to keep medical marijuana off the ballot?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Politics-
Jump to: