Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning Empty
PostSubject: Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning   Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 8:13 pm

Billionaire hedge fund manager Paul Singer has issued an unusual warning for investors, calling the threat of a widespread blackout from an electromagnetic surge the "most significant danger" in the world.

Called an "electromagnetic pulse" or EMP, the events can occur naturally from solar storms or artificially from a high-altitude explosion of nuclear weapons.

"While these pages are typically chock full of scary or depressing scenarios, there is one risk that is head-and-shoulders above all the rest in terms of the scope of potential damage adjusted for the likelihood of occurrence," Singer wrote to clients of his $24.8 billion Elliott Management on Monday in a standard investment update letter.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101875747

ODD.......... Neutral 
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning   Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 9:01 pm

If we had another Carrington Event, there would be weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth... and we would be screwed royally for many years. Many people would die.

If the power lines and large transformers burn up over a hemisphere of this Earth, getting back on our feet would be arduous. There would be no manufacturing of new transformers if the grid goes down, you can't pump fuels, you can't transport food... yeah, it would be BAD!

My piddly generator won't run long without gasoline, and my piddly solar panel will barely charge a cell phone, lol.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

PostSubject: Re: Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning   Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 9:05 pm

Eric, perhaps we should do a little research and see what kinds of things could survive such? Or how we could protect certain things just in case.

I don't think we would have to worry about cell phones, I guess satellites would be out, wouldn't they?

I just think its very odd this man sending this kind of warning out. Makes you wonder if he knows something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRD6ujAapIo&list=UUpPGJXgbwBmkIp291W0PCMw

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning   Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 9:41 pm

Satellites would be fried. Probably anything sophisticated enough to require a microprocessor, if it was in use and didn't have surge protection would be toast. And maybe some things just plugged in, might get fried. It wouldn't matter much if an appliance "works" if the electrical grid is down.

With enough warning, you could put your electrical stuff inside your car, which is a good Faraday cage.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning   Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 9:43 pm

We could all head to Teo's Camp FEMA and live in the shelter he didn't build.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning   Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 10:41 pm

Eric wrote:

That's right there is no shelter at Camp FEMA.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning   Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 11:14 pm

I'm pretty sure the mosquitoes in Alaska would survive. The bastards.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning   Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 7:06 am

riceme wrote:

LOL
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning   Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 8:32 am

riceme wrote:

When we were there the residents called them.... the state birds!!!... Never imagined that mosquitoes would be a problem in Alaska...
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning   Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 11:56 am

mediawatcher wrote:
riceme wrote:

When we were there the residents called them.... the state birds!!!... Never imagined that mosquitoes would be a problem in Alaska...

I was in Alaska once, I remember the mosquitoes there had twin engines.....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning   Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 12:10 pm

I remember camping in a state park somewhere south of Ocala, Fl. The mosquitos were huge there!

Thankfully, there weren't that many of them.

We were on a diving trip for UWF and it was before the interstates were finished in Florida. We came back on a 14-hour drive from Marathon Key with a van full of specimens. Some people were dropped off on the way and while we were dropping someone off at P. Beach, someone kicked over a 5-gallon pail of formaldehyde in the van and the spill ran down the length of the van!

I stuck my snorkel out the window. The teacher drove while wiping tears out of his eyes the rest of the drive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning   Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 5:19 pm

Eric wrote:

LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning   Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning Empty

Back to top Go down

Billionaire hedge fund manager issues EMP warning
Page 1 of 1