Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

M-Disc, the 1,000-year error free storage media

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eric

PostSubject: M-Disc, the 1,000-year error free storage media   Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:56 am

We rip a lot of audio books for listening when we travel.  Previously, I used two thin LG portable external CD drives because I don"t want to wear out the internal drive in my laptop.  These extremely light drives have been slowing down lately, crawling along and it was time to do something about it.

I bought a hefty not-so-portable external drive that rips CDs at 48x.  This drive was on sale at Best Buy for less than $50, probably because it is USB 2.0 and not the newer USB 3 compatible.  I got it home and saw that it had a logo on the front that had M-DISC on it.  I searched the web and saw this video.

The discs are a little higher cost than regular CDs, but only by a little bit.  

About 3-4 years ago, I read about this technology and thought it might be pie-in-the-sky stuff.  I WILL be buying these discs and archiving stuff, now that a permanent archival solution is available on disc.  Previously, I have been buying redundant external hard drives and archiving data to them because I just didn't trust writable disc media to last.

Eric

PostSubject: Re: M-Disc, the 1,000-year error free storage media   Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:25 pm

Why are CDs and DVD that you burn so unreliable?  It is because the laser burns pits in a layer of DYE that is embedded in the discs.  I have seen a burnable disc that was corrupted right after it was burned.  I don't trust them.

The prerecorded music CDs and movie DVDs and Blue-Ray discs that you buy in the stores are not made that way.  It is my understanding that they are pressed in a mold using a master press, much like the way the old vinyl records were made.  There is no dye used in these discs.  The prerecorded discs will last a long time too.

I doubt that the M-Discs can be rewritten, so archival is probably done on a one-time basis.

Proper care must be taken with any media discs if you want them to last.

M-Disc, the 1,000-year error free storage media
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Hobbies and Personal Interests :: Computers-
Jump to: