Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

This is not a dog.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

This is not a dog. Empty
PostSubject: This is not a dog.   This is not a dog. EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 8:57 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/couple-who-claimed-they-caught-a-live-chupacabra--chooses-to-have-the-animal-euthanized-195957358.html

I don't know what it is but all you have to do is look at its back paws and you know it is not a dog. I'm not an expert on raccoons, but I doubt it is one of those either.

How come as soon as somebody catches something weird it has to be euthanized? Also, why not find the thing and do an autopsy on it? Are we so all fired sure that we know everything that exists on our planet?

It frustrates me that more research wasn't done on this animal.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

This is not a dog. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is not a dog.   This is not a dog. EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 10:27 pm

That's one strange looking animal. Dogs don't grip things with their paws, either. Raccoons aren't canines.

Those Texas wildlife folks don't seem to give a damn.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

This is not a dog. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is not a dog.   This is not a dog. EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 8:58 pm

Seems like a no-brainer to have contacted a nearby university, particularly since Fish & Game was not interested. Strange.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

This is not a dog. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is not a dog.   This is not a dog. EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 9:47 am

That long snout makes me think it may be a possum with mange.

Otter, I, too was saddened that this animal was immediately euthanized. However, I'm sure it saved the little guy from the untold misery he would have experienced had he been been "studied" alive at a university or other facility.

That said, it does seem a necropsy was in order.

Poor little fella looks so scared..... :-(
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
riceme

riceme

This is not a dog. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is not a dog.   This is not a dog. EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 6:14 pm

Melissa, I hear what you're saying, but in my experience universities tend to treat animals very well... I don't know if that's because I went to Humboldt State, a notably hippy-dippy school, and am most familiar with California schools, a notably touchy-feely state, or what... but that has been my observation. I of course would not have wanted for the animal to suffer in the name of science.

Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

This is not a dog. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is not a dog.   This is not a dog. EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 7:20 am

Riceme, I know you would never have wanted this animal to suffer. Otter would not have wanted that, either. That wasn't what I intended in my post.

If this animal could have been taken to a facility that would have studied him without harming him in any way, and with intent to release him when the study was complete, I would go along with that. However, it's so difficult to determine how far a facility might go.

It appears to me that this animal has severe demodectic mange. I'll admit it would have been interesting to see exactly what animal this was had the mange been treated. Most likely, the little guy would have been released back into the wild.

Did I cry "uncle" loud enough here?  Wink 
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
riceme

riceme

This is not a dog. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is not a dog.   This is not a dog. EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 9:58 am

No crying of uncle necessary, haha, and since they were in Texas and not Hippy-Dippy-Land, it's perhaps best no one called the university  Shocked 
Back to top Go down

This is not a dog. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is not a dog.   This is not a dog. EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 4:00 pm

In Texas it's probably good they didn't call a restaurant.

I can see Chupacabra on the menu as a delicacy out there.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

This is not a dog. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is not a dog.   This is not a dog. EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 1:34 am

Otter wrote:
In Texas it's probably good they didn't call a restaurant.

I can see Chupacabra on the menu as a delicacy out there.

LMFAO. No kidding. Especially in rural Texas. Reminds me of a miserable work trip to Coleman, Texas which is about three days past where Jesus lost his sandals. Worst. Restaurant. Food. Ever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

This is not a dog. Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is not a dog.   This is not a dog. Empty

Back to top Go down

This is not a dog.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: General-
Jump to: