Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fort Hood - Why?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
nochain

nochain

Fort Hood - Why? Empty
PostSubject: Fort Hood - Why?   Fort Hood - Why? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 7:32 am

Fort Hood - Why? Normal_iraq-military-memorial
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

Fort Hood - Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fort Hood - Why?   Fort Hood - Why? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 7:38 am

nochain wrote:
Fort Hood - Why? Normal_iraq-military-memorial

HORRIBLE situation!
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

Fort Hood - Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fort Hood - Why?   Fort Hood - Why? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 7:44 am

Maybe now the PC idiots running the services will allow some members on post to be armed.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

Fort Hood - Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fort Hood - Why?   Fort Hood - Why? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 7:59 am

nochain wrote:
Maybe now the PC idiots running the services will allow some members on post to be armed.

Should have learned after the first incident.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Fort Hood - Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fort Hood - Why?   Fort Hood - Why? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 9:31 am

What do we know about the shooter... besides that he save us the trouble of a trial and subsequent housing?

Edit: I see that Ivan Lopez had some mental problems which were being treated and evaluated for PTSD.

Quote :
He arrived at Fort Hood in February from another base in Texas. He was taking medication, and there were reports that he had complained after returning from Iraq about suffering a traumatic brain injury, Milley said. The commander did not elaborate.

The gunman was never wounded in action, according to military records, and there was no indication the attack was related to terrorism, Milley said. His weapon had been recently purchased in the local area and was not registered to be on the base, Milley said.

Lopez was from the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico and joined the island's National Guard in 1999. He went on a peace and security mission to Egypt's Sinai Peninsula in the mid-2000s, and left the National Guard in 2010 to join the U.S. Army, said Lt. Col. Ruth Diaz, spokeswoman for the Puerto Rico National Guard.

Last edited by Eric on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
nochain

nochain

Fort Hood - Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fort Hood - Why?   Fort Hood - Why? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 10:37 am

Eric wrote:
What do we know about the shooter... besides that he save us the trouble of a trial and subsequent housing?

Did a tour in Iraq as a truck driver but apparently wasn't involved in any action and was never injured. Word is he was being treated for various mental issues but was not considered a threat. Of course the psych evaluators are pretty much batting a 1,000 on being wrong lately but maybe that's because they are understaffed and have primarily resorted to writing prescriptions and sending the troops on their merry way.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

Fort Hood - Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fort Hood - Why?   Fort Hood - Why? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 11:55 am

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1744315

I read that a female soldier had engaged him from 20' away when he shot himself. I'd assumed the article meant she'd engaged him with a firearm and took away from that that I'd missed something and that some were now permitted to carry on base/post/etc. Maybe I misread that part of the article. I went back to re-read it and cannot find it.

Re: above linked article: says he was distraught over the sudden passing of his mother and very upset at the army because he was initially denied a request to go to her services although they finally gave him 24-hour pass.

Also says he was battling depression, anxiety and insomnia... all of which go hand in hand w/ptsd.

What a tragedy.

NC, I would agree with your assessment that the folks in psych are understaffed. Not only that, but I'd bet they are overrun with issues for which there are no good proven solutions, such as PTSD... There's no PTSD-specific medication, therapy is good but only when you can remove the triggers (often impossible for normal people, let alone for soldiers), and the biggest issue of all: nobody cares enough to do what is necessary, which is spend a whole lot of money on research, and I hate to say it, but pharmaceuticals development.

Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

Fort Hood - Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fort Hood - Why?   Fort Hood - Why? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 7:41 am

nochain wrote:
Eric wrote:

Did a tour in Iraq as a truck driver but apparently wasn't involved in any action and was never injured. Word is he was being treated for various mental issues but was not considered a threat. Of course the psych evaluators are pretty much batting a 1,000 on being wrong lately but maybe that's because they are understaffed and have primarily resorted to writing prescriptions and sending the troops on their merry way.

Reports are all over the place with this guy...ptsd--no symptoms displayed...depression/anxiety treatment/evaluations. sleep disorder....and an argument with fellow soldiers..They've even reported that he listened to heavy metal and played violent video games..In other words it sounds like they don't know and it could have been everything or anything....Correct they are understaffed and now are worried that service members will see all of this and be further concerned about seeking treatment..Remember when our son returned from one of his initial deployments the AF sent brochures to family members with symptoms of ptsd and numbers to call for help...
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

Fort Hood - Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fort Hood - Why?   Fort Hood - Why? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 7:53 am

riceme wrote:
http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1744315

I read that a female soldier had engaged him from 20' away when he shot himself. I'd assumed the article meant she'd engaged him with a firearm and took away from that that I'd missed something and that some were now permitted to carry on base/post/etc. Maybe I misread that part of the article. I went back to re-read it and cannot find it.

Re: above linked article: says he was distraught over the sudden passing of his mother and very upset at the army because he was initially denied a request to go to her services although they finally gave him 24-hour pass.

Also says he was battling depression, anxiety and insomnia... all of which go hand in hand w/ptsd.

What a tragedy.

NC, I would agree with your assessment that the folks in psych are understaffed. Not only that, but I'd bet they are overrun with issues for which there are no good proven solutions, such as PTSD... There's no PTSD-specific medication, therapy is good but only when you can remove the triggers (often impossible for normal people, let alone for soldiers), and the biggest issue of all: nobody cares enough to do what is necessary, which is spend a whole lot of money on research, and I hate to say it, but pharmaceuticals development.

You are correct...it effects individuals differently and not all those that experience ptsd commit murder or violence but sadly that's what grabs the headlines. And with each incident like this service members are going to further retreat from reporting not only because of incidents like these but to protect their careers.
When confronted with an armed individual the suspect off'd himself. Those in charge at Ft Hood have added more weapons to their arsenal (long rifles etc.,) and have increased/improved active shooter drills and response to these type of incidents. It was nice to hear that there were changes made after the terrorist attack.
Back to top Go down

Fort Hood - Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fort Hood - Why?   Fort Hood - Why? EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 8:29 pm

Half the kids in the military listen to heavy metal music and play violent video games. This guy was injured emotionally , no doubt about that, and we might as well learn to expect more of these kind of events as our soldiers come home from wars where they have witnessed horrendous events that their minds cannot process with the use of logic or by any other means.
Nobody learns from history anymore. Vietnam didn't teach this country anything.
The casualties aren't told by just the numbers of physically wounded and KIA.

Back to top Go down
Jake92

Fort Hood - Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fort Hood - Why?   Fort Hood - Why? EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 5:06 pm

The politicians that control the budget never learned from history either..  They spend more money on toilet seats and coffee pots on airplanes than they do on reinforcing the humvees and trucks against IEDs or getting flak jackets and other things that are effective..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fort Hood - Why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fort Hood - Why?   Fort Hood - Why? Empty

Back to top Go down

Fort Hood - Why?
Page 1 of 1