Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
riceme

riceme

Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic Empty
PostSubject: Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic   Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 12:10 pm

Interesting article, but the last line is the clencher.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/opinion/sunday/friedman-parallel-parking-in-the-arctic-circle.html?_r=0&referrer=
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic   Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 12:40 pm

I don't think my panic attacks, although very infrequent, would be compatible with submarine duty.

I have the deepest respect for those servicemen (and now women) that serve in such cramped quarters.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic   Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 12:45 pm

I'm with you, Eric. I am claustrophobic and I (also infrequently) have panic attacks.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic   Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 1:09 pm

riceme wrote:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/opinion/sunday/friedman-parallel-parking-in-the-arctic-circle.html?_r=0&referrer=

"Remind me again what we’re doing in Washington these days to deserve such young people?"

Exactly, they are serving all over the world - some in places most of the public know nothing about. But when it comes time to cinch the budget belt the honchos don't go after the mega waste in the budget because it's protected by political cronyism. No the first thing to get cut are the people and the programs that make service if not nice, then at least bearable.

An Army Ranger:

Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic Army-Ranger-is-back-in-the-fight-EE5SJNU-x-large
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic   Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 8:05 pm

Subs were a piece of cake with 16-20 hr work days with the best the Navy offers.. I wouldn't trade my 7 yrs on them for anything.. I still chat with some of the friends from 35 years ago..
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic   Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 1:13 am

nochain wrote:
riceme wrote:

"Remind me again what we’re doing in Washington these days to deserve such young people?"

Exactly, they are serving all over the world - some in places most of the public know nothing about. But when it comes time to cinch the budget belt the honchos don't go after the mega waste in the budget because it's protected by political cronyism. No the first thing to get cut are the people and the programs that make service if not nice, then at least bearable.

An Army Ranger:

Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic Army-Ranger-is-back-in-the-fight-EE5SJNU-x-large

That is a great picture... what a remarkable human being. Thanks for posting this. You are so right about the budget and cronyism. It is shameful.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic   Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 11:55 am

Jake92 wrote:
Subs were a piece of cake with 16-20 hr work days with the best the Navy offers..  I wouldn't trade my 7 yrs on them for anything..  I still chat with some of the friends from 35 years ago..

Damn, Jake!

I didn't know you were that old   cheers

Nochain - Great pic. Kudos to the armed services for allowing this gentleman perform service!
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic   Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 12:44 pm

Eric, I'm only 63. One of my friends was with me in Camp Pendleton, CA BEFORE we both went to subs.. I still talk with my best friend since I was 3 yrs old in NY.. I just saw him last summer.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic   Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 12:54 pm

Jake92 wrote:
Eric,  I'm only 63.  One of my friends was with me in Camp Pendleton, CA BEFORE we both went to subs..  I still talk with my best friend since I was 3 yrs old in NY..  I just saw him last summer.

I was in the Navy 22 years but the only submarine I set foot on was an Australian sub where I had to give a briefing. I remember how absolutely spotless it was and how small inside. Afterward they gave me an ice cold Fosters beer in a cold pewter mug and I still think that was the best beer I ever had. Even though I spent 12 years at sea on ships I don't think I would be suited for sub duty but I heard the food was pretty good....and the seas are a lot smoother "down under".
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic   Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 1:14 pm

NC    We just go under the wave action and it's like driving on a newly paved interstate or I imagine like driving down a lane at a bowling alley....  YES, you can balance a pencil on it's end and it would still be there unless we turned or changed depths..  30 degree angles are common when the captain wants to play..  400' assents in 15 seconds are common also when we blow the main ballast tanks..  I The Hunt For Red October, remember when the sub came out of the water....  YES, they will actually come 100% out of the water if you practice an emergency blow of the main ballast tanks..
One of our cooks retired and took over as the head chef at Circus Circus in Vegas a few weeks later.. They normally went to different civilian schools during the 3 month off crew periods..  France for pastries, Switzerland for chocolate, or possibly Germany for sausage..  One of the good things about the food is that the carriers would give us their left over king crab legs, lobster tails, and steaks.. Imagine the mutiny on a carrier with 5-6,000 people trying to serve 3,000 lobster tails..  They lasted our 158 man crew for a few meals..  LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic   Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic Empty

Back to top Go down

Parallel parking in the Arctic Circle aboard the U.S.S. New Mexico in the Arctic
Page 1 of 1