Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.

Go down 
+2
mediawatcher
riceme
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. Empty
PostSubject: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 2:42 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/food/martha-stewart-hot-under-the-collards-7-new-ways-to-77808919516.html

I can't even imagine. Nowhere is it recommended you just clean 'em, cook 'em in a pot filled with water and salt and salt pork, and then enjoy them.

Onions in collards is a horrible thought. Frying them in vinegar is an even worse idea.
I wish I hadn't even seen the article.

I honestly do not know how these fools won the civil war.

Let them eat Kale.

I did one time and won't ever again.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 11:02 pm

Kale is actually delicious if you prepare it right. But yeah, to your point... collards cooked in VINEGAR?? To hell with that.

I was suprised to find that collards are very popular up here, fresh or canned (sans the vinegar, lol). Again, I thought to myself, "yup, I am in the arctic south!"
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 7:07 am

riceme wrote:
Kale is actually delicious if you prepare it right. But yeah, to your point... collards cooked in VINEGAR?? To hell with that.

I was suprised to find that collards are very popular up here, fresh or canned (sans the vinegar, lol). Again, I thought to myself, "yup, I am in the arctic south!"

The topic reminded me of going through MP School in Anniston, Al....There were many southerners that had a field day watching the yankees and what the put on their grits.  For the record this yankee knew better and had only salt, pepper, butter and some crumbled up bacon.  Have heard of vinegar on spinach but never on collards.  A few years ago when we visited Fairbanks we went to Dennys (The most northern Denny's in the US) and almost fell outta the booth when the waitress asked..."Do you want grits with that"....i did and they were good!
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 7:52 am

Haha! I have never been to the Denny's up here, but one night after I went to the bar with the guys from work we all agreed that we wanted Awful Waffle... clearly, they are Southern transplants.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 8:13 am

riceme wrote:
Haha! I have never been to the Denny's up here, but one night after I went to the bar with the guys from work we all agreed that we wanted Awful Waffle... clearly, they are Southern transplants.

The first thing I noticed about Fairbanks....there's a bar or liquor store on nearly every corner. Don't mean that in a bad way. Where we stayed I ordered a large draft beer and they brought in out in what could have been a fish aquarium so next I ordered a bottle and all bottles and cans were 24 ounces...aside from the weather...I instantly LOVED Alaska!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 9:42 am

I just look for a jar of pepper sauce.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 6:18 pm

mediawatcher wrote:
riceme wrote:

The first thing I noticed about Fairbanks....there's a bar or liquor store on nearly every corner.  Don't mean that in a bad way.  Where we stayed I ordered a large draft beer and they brought in out in what could have been a fish aquarium so next I ordered a bottle and all bottles and cans were 24 ounces...aside from the weather...I instantly LOVED Alaska!

Hey, we have to do SOMETHING all winter, lol!! Lots of bars, nudie clubs and cabs. Only a fool would drink and drive on these ice covered roads. And the nudie clubs are all on one road... not sure if there's some sort of a moratorium, if that's just where they're at, if they're there because it's the 'hood or what.

The bars are cool bars, too, not BS disco bars like a lot of them in Pensacola. Lots of cool old man dive bars here and a handful of neat rustic places. And you can still smoke in bars and restaurants here. Not that I want to breathe cigarette smoke while I'm eating, I just don't like the government telling business owners what they must and musn't allow on their own damned property.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 6:14 am

riceme wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
riceme wrote:

The first thing I noticed about Fairbanks....there's a bar or liquor store on nearly every corner.  Don't mean that in a bad way.  Where we stayed I ordered a large draft beer and they brought in out in what could have been a fish aquarium so next I ordered a bottle and all bottles and cans were 24 ounces...aside from the weather...I instantly LOVED Alaska!

Hey, we have to do SOMETHING all winter, lol!! Lots of bars, nudie clubs and cabs. Only a fool would drink and drive on these ice covered roads. And the nudie clubs are all on one road... not sure if there's some sort of a moratorium, if that's just where they're at, if they're there because it's the 'hood or what.

The bars are cool bars, too, not BS disco bars like a lot of them in Pensacola. Lots of cool old man dive bars here and a handful of neat rustic places. And you can still smoke in bars and restaurants here. Not that I want to breathe cigarette smoke while I'm eating, I just don't like the government telling business owners what they must and musn't allow on their own damned property.

Help me with my memory...the place is called The __________ Bush Company. Did not vist [ or at least that's my story and I'm stickin to it] but several folks told me incredible stories about the joint. Did enjoy the visit and would return but don't think I could handle the winters.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 8:51 am

mediawatcher wrote:
riceme wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
riceme wrote:

Help me with my memory...the place is called The   __________ Bush Company.  Did not vist [ or at least that's my story and I'm stickin to it] but several folks told me incredible stories about the joint.  Did enjoy the visit and would return but don't think I could handle the winters.

MW, are you talking about The Great Alaskan Bush Company? This one is in Anchorage but I'm sure there is one also in Fairbanks.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 9:32 am

Ghost Rider wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
riceme wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
riceme wrote:

Help me with my memory...the place is called The   __________ Bush Company.  Did not vist [ or at least that's my story and I'm stickin to it] but several folks told me incredible stories about the joint.  Did enjoy the visit and would return but don't think I could handle the winters.

MW, are you talking about The Great Alaskan Bush Company? This one is in Anchorage but I'm sure there is one also in Fairbanks.

That's it! Thanks, for some reason couldn't remember the name. That's where several said to go. Went by one place in Fairbanks and would have paid to have clothing remain on or put back on.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 11:32 am

We have a bunch of collards in our fridge, but the store ran out of the greens seasoning packets we normally use. Anybody have a favorite recipe for collards?

I hadn't even tried them until about three years ago.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 12:42 pm

It's funny when you think about it. As much as I like to cook, I cannot recall ever having cooked collards.

I've eaten my share of 'em, though.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Melissa wrote:
We have a bunch of collards in our fridge, but the store ran out of the greens seasoning packets we normally use. Anybody have a favorite recipe for collards?

Here is one a lady at work uses, you can use chicken broth instead of water too

3 pounds collards
6 smoked/salted pig tails or 2 smoked/salted pork hocks (trim off some of the fat)
fresh minced garlic, if desired
Salt/pepper to taste
vinegar
hot sauce, if desired

Wash greens several times. Cut them up into 2" strips. Place in colander. Rinse pig tails. Cook pig tails in large pot, until they are fork tender, using enough water to cover tails. Add more water if needed. After tails are done, remove and put in large bowl. Put prepared greens in to pork tail liquid. Simmer until greens are done. Do not over cook. Cook over low heat so greens will simmer. Do not add large amounts of water. After greens are tender, return pig tails to pot. Garnish with vinegar and hot sauce.

Note: You may add about 2 tablespoons vinegar to greens while they are
cooking.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 1:20 pm

mediawatcher wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
riceme wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
riceme wrote:

That's it!  Thanks, for some reason couldn't remember the name.  That's where several said to go.  Went by one place in Fairbanks and would have paid to have clothing remain on or put back on.

Did you go to Reflections, mw? That is the big one here. In true Alaskan spirit, it is a strip joint/used car lot, lol. I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere, haha.

lol, that sounds about right, mw. Whenever I have gone out with the guys from work we have ended up at one of the local strip joints and I was shocked at how uhh, "curvy" (I think that's the that's the kindest way to say it) most of the girls were, plus they have a 92 year old Vietnamese woman named Mama who is the waitress (I only wish I was kidding), but about 20% of the girls are very good dancers and are extremely beautiful. I nearly died when Mama tried to recruit me... in front of a whole table of guys who I work with. As you can imagine, that has led to many jokes at work about how they would like to spend their paychecks. :-o Plus, I didn't know whether, considering what 80% of the girls looked like, I should be insulted or flattered,... or insulted... ?? lol

That said, Alaskan men don't seem to mind extra curves on their strippers, because these girls are getting by just fine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 4:23 pm

Melissa wrote:

All we ever do is clean them, chop them up, put them in a pot of water with lots of salt and a big chunk of salt pork or several slices of bacon. They're especially good if you use the maple bacon to flavor them. The longer you cook them the better they are- at least 40 minutes or so. Boil first and then simmer.

I've never used vinegar or any meat stock except for salt pork or bacon. I can't imagine how they would taste.

I honestly haven't ever been to any family get togethers or church socials where they were cooked any different. That's why I was making fun of the "yankee" recipes.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 5:27 pm

Speaking of collards, We are having that for dinner tomorrow night along with pinto beans, chicken and dumplings with a big pan of cornbread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.   Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up. Empty

Back to top Go down

Damn Yankees discover Collard Greens and are trying to screw them up.
Page 1 of 1