Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nochain

avatar

Posts : 2888
Join date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker   Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:52 am

Warning: Ignore claims that 3.9 million people signed up for Medicaid because of Obamacare
Barack Obama ✔ @BarackObama
Follow
Six million Americans have gotten covered. Have you? http://ofa.bo/bj
9:42 AM - 10 Jan 2014
Look closely at this tweet by the @BarackObama account, maintained by the pro-Obama group Organizing for America. The 6 million figure comes from combining a figure of 2.1 million for people selecting a plan via state and federal exchanges, through December, and 3.9 million for Medicaid, through November. Thus the claim that “6 million Americans have already signed up for coverage thanks to health reform.”
There is much less to the Medicaid figure than meets the eye. (The exchange figure has been updated recently, to 2.2 million, but not the Medicaid figure.) Indeed, there has been vast confusion about what this figure means, especially in the news media. The Fact Checker cited the 3.9 million figure in a few recent columns, but prodded by an interesting analysis by Sean Trende at Real Clear Politics, we decided to take a closer look.
Bottom line: This number tells you almost nothing about how the Affordable Care Act is affecting Medicaid enrollment. Reporters need to stop using it.
The Pinocchio Test
Essentially, then, it is ridiculous to suggest, as the @BarackObama tweet does, that the people who have selected a health plan in the exchanges are in anyway equivalent to the 3.9 to 4.6 million who were deemed eligible for Medicaid.
Soon, CMS will release the Medicaid numbers for December. Presumably the new numbers will reveal as little about the impact of the Affordable Care Act as the 3.9 million figure. Reporters need to be very careful about using the new figure in any sentence that includes a reference to the new health-care law.
We’re awarding Three Pinocchios to everyone, including The Fact Checker, who improperly used this number or left the wrong impression about it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2014/01/16/warning-ignore-claims-that-3-9-million-people-signed-up-for-medicaid-because-of-obamacare/?hpid=z5
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker   Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:27 am

nochain wrote:
Warning: Ignore claims that 3.9 million people signed up for Medicaid because of Obamacare
Barack Obama        ✔ @BarackObama
Follow
Six million Americans have gotten covered. Have you? http://ofa.bo/bj  
9:42 AM - 10 Jan 2014
Look closely at this tweet by the @BarackObama account, maintained by the pro-Obama group Organizing for America. The 6 million figure comes from combining a figure of 2.1 million for people selecting a plan via state and federal exchanges, through December, and 3.9 million for Medicaid, through November. Thus the claim that “6 million Americans have already signed up for coverage thanks to health reform.”
There is much less to the Medicaid figure than meets the eye. (The exchange figure has been updated recently, to 2.2 million, but not the Medicaid figure.) Indeed, there has been vast confusion about what this figure means, especially in the news media. The Fact Checker cited the 3.9 million figure in a few recent columns, but prodded by an interesting analysis by Sean Trende at Real Clear Politics, we decided to take a closer look.
Bottom line: This number tells you almost nothing about how the Affordable Care Act is affecting Medicaid enrollment. Reporters need to stop using it.
The Pinocchio Test
Essentially, then, it is ridiculous to suggest, as the @BarackObama tweet does, that the people who have selected a health plan in the exchanges are in anyway equivalent to the 3.9 to 4.6 million who were deemed eligible for Medicaid.
Soon, CMS will release the Medicaid numbers for December. Presumably the new numbers will reveal as little about the impact of the Affordable Care Act as the 3.9 million figure. Reporters need to be very careful about using the new figure in any sentence that includes a reference to the new health-care law.
We’re awarding Three Pinocchios to everyone, including The Fact Checker, who improperly used this number or left the wrong impression about it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2014/01/16/warning-ignore-claims-that-3-9-million-people-signed-up-for-medicaid-because-of-obamacare/?hpid=z5

Didn't WH Spokesperson Jay Carney just say...There is no doubt there is an appetite on the part of the American People for this product...[name] cowh healthcare....Why some continue pointing out facts compared to the administration's statements is in the words of the cowh "obstructing" and hurting the American People....Seems there is a need for major healthcare because this plan is harming more people than those they've intended to help....At the beginning of the year there was an interview with a car salesman from Michigan...he said that yesterday (Dec 31st) his child on spring break likes to ice skate and if he fell or injured himself the insurance deductable was $2500...If that accident happend today (Jan1st) it would be $6200....This is a working middle class citizen that doesn't deserve what this administration has placed on him or others...Guess this is another example of what was really inside this monster when the boneheaded democrats in Congress passed without reading this mess....and yet they (Congress) themselves are not abiding by the law of the land that they passed and Sen Reid and other democrats have blocked attempts to pass legislation making Congress and others exempted to live as citizens are being forced to comply...
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1324
Join date : 2012-07-30
Location : A wild garden

PostSubject: Re: More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker   Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:37 pm

All I know is I finally have private health insurance despite a major pre-existing condition. Plus, it's affordable, with a low deductible. ACA may not be the best system, but it worked for me.

Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Jake92



Posts : 1507
Join date : 2013-02-15
Age : 67
Location : Pensaclola, FL

PostSubject: Re: More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker   Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:48 pm

I fully support the ACA for LEGAL citizens.. ALL federal and state benefits should require having health insurance before recieving the benefit.. The news has said that college students are the least likely to sign up, so WHY are they getting govt backed scholorships?? SOME are covered under their parents insurance, so they should be OK, but NO insurance ----- NO scholorship..
Back to top Go down
nochain

avatar

Posts : 2888
Join date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: Re: More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker   Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:40 pm

Next up - mandatory life insurance for those under a specified cutoff age so social security benefits can be reduced.....or eliminated.....
Back to top Go down
Jake92



Posts : 1507
Join date : 2013-02-15
Age : 67
Location : Pensaclola, FL

PostSubject: Re: More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker   Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:05 pm

Social security is paid for by the WORKING taxpayers and employers..  WHY are illegal aliens getting any benefits from the govt??
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker   Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:04 pm

Melissa wrote:
All I know is I finally have private health insurance despite a major pre-existing condition. Plus, it's affordable, with a low deductible. ACA may not be the best system, but it worked for me.



Glad to hear that Melissa. Personal involvement is the best way to decide if the system is good or not. I have a family member who will be applying for Obamacare before the March deadline so I'll know more about it then too. this is one of the Young Invincibles the program says will make the difference in the program working or not.
Back to top Go down
nochain

avatar

Posts : 2888
Join date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: Re: More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker   Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:39 am

The issue continues to be the small percentage of younger, healthier participants who are expected to carry the log for older, less healthy individuals and those with preexisting conditions that are a drain on insurance claims. (not that I have any sympathy for insurance companys since under the ACA guidelines they are at least somewhat protected by TAXPAYER money). Individual states are going to feel a big hit with all the additional medicaid enrollees though. But this won't cost taxpayers one thin dime. The jokes on the taxpayers......

Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker   Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:51 am

nochain wrote:
The issue continues to be the small percentage of younger, healthier participants who are expected to carry the log for older, less healthy individuals and those with preexisting conditions that are a drain on insurance claims. (not that I have any sympathy for insurance companys since under the ACA guidelines they are at least somewhat protected by TAXPAYER money). Individual states are going to feel a big hit with all the additional medicaid enrollees though. But this won't cost taxpayers one thin dime. The jokes on the taxpayers......


That's a never ending joke that just keeps on giving and the taxpayers keep paying.....There was certainly a need for healthcare reform in this nation but this isn't the way it should be accomplished...Placing all your hope that the younger (healthier) citizens will suddenly cough up money to cover others is another joke....aside from the blatant lies about keeping your coverage/doctor....the won't cost taxpayers one thin dime...is another WHOPPER!...Well it isn't really a thin dime....it's BIG bucks...feel better about this?...
Back to top Go down
nochain

avatar

Posts : 2888
Join date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: Re: More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker   Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:02 am

mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:
The issue continues to be the small percentage of younger, healthier participants who are expected to carry the log for older, less healthy individuals and those with preexisting conditions that are a drain on insurance claims. (not that I have any sympathy for insurance companys since under the ACA guidelines they are at least somewhat protected by TAXPAYER money). Individual states are going to feel a big hit with all the additional medicaid enrollees though. But this won't cost taxpayers one thin dime. The jokes on the taxpayers......


       That's a never ending joke that just keeps on giving and the taxpayers keep paying.....There was certainly a need for healthcare reform in this nation but this isn't the way it should be accomplished...Placing all your hope that the younger (healthier) citizens will suddenly cough up money to cover others is another joke....aside from the blatant lies about keeping your coverage/doctor....the won't cost taxpayers one thin dime...is another WHOPPER!...Well it isn't really a thin dime....it's BIG bucks...feel better about this?...

The other part of this is that it's unknown how many "enrollees" will actually buy a policy. Going to take a year or two for the dust to settle but the one thing that's certain is that it's going to cost taxpayers/potential participants more than an expanded medicare program would have.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker   Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:30 am

nochain wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:
The issue continues to be the small percentage of younger, healthier participants who are expected to carry the log for older, less healthy individuals and those with preexisting conditions that are a drain on insurance claims. (not that I have any sympathy for insurance companys since under the ACA guidelines they are at least somewhat protected by TAXPAYER money). Individual states are going to feel a big hit with all the additional medicaid enrollees though. But this won't cost taxpayers one thin dime. The jokes on the taxpayers......


       That's a never ending joke that just keeps on giving and the taxpayers keep paying.....There was certainly a need for healthcare reform in this nation but this isn't the way it should be accomplished...Placing all your hope that the younger (healthier) citizens will suddenly cough up money to cover others is another joke....aside from the blatant lies about keeping your coverage/doctor....the won't cost taxpayers one thin dime...is another WHOPPER!...Well it isn't really a thin dime....it's BIG bucks...feel better about this?...

The other part of this is that it's unknown how many "enrollees" will actually buy a policy. Going to take a year or two for the dust to settle but the one thing that's certain is that it's going to cost taxpayers/potential participants more than an expanded medicare program would have.

Added to the mess....high unemployment for younger citizens attempting to enter the work force and if they do the part time jobs just aren't cutting it....Recent reports also add that many enrollees already had healthcare coverage so the company line of ___ millions are now covered for the first time may not be accurate?...Whoudda believed another false statement from this bunch...
Back to top Go down
nochain

avatar

Posts : 2888
Join date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: Re: More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker   Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:53 am

Now it's obvious the ACA is an incentive for some folks NOT to work but proponents argue this is a good thing since now they have an "option". Sure, that's real good news for taxpayers who DO work, now they get to subsidize another 2-3 million former workers. Yep, the ACA won't cost one thin dime. The lies are catching up....

Specter of welfare state jolts Democrats; CBO hits election pitches for jobs

The White House and congressional Democrats tried to limit the fallout Wednesday from the politically damaging conclusion in a Congressional Budget Office report that the Obamacare entitlement creates a major incentive for some people not to work.
While some critics focused on a finding by the CBO that Obamacare will result in 2.5 million fewer workers over a decade, conservatives said the bigger fundamental issue highlighted in the report is one familiar to the welfare state — that taxpayer-funded government subsidies provide disincentives for full-time work.


Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/5/specter-of-welfare-state-jolts-democrats/#ixzz2sYJiVoET
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker   Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:14 am

nochain wrote:
Now it's obvious the ACA is an incentive for some folks NOT to work but proponents argue this is a good thing since now they have an "option". Sure, that's real good news for taxpayers who DO work, now they get to subsidize another 2-3 million former workers. Yep, the ACA won't cost one thin dime. The lies are catching up....

Specter of welfare state jolts Democrats; CBO hits election pitches for jobs

The White House and congressional Democrats tried to limit the fallout Wednesday from the politically damaging conclusion in a Congressional Budget Office report that the Obamacare entitlement creates a major incentive for some people not to work.
While some critics focused on a finding by the CBO that Obamacare will result in 2.5 million fewer workers over a decade, conservatives said the bigger fundamental issue highlighted in the report is one familiar to the welfare state — that taxpayer-funded government subsidies provide disincentives for full-time work.

The administration is happy to quote the CBO as not being 'partisian' and offers a fair view....well guess their assessment of [name] cowh healthcare was on target..encourages people not to work which is right in line with the democratic platform of being beholden to those that give the freebies...


Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/5/specter-of-welfare-state-jolts-democrats/#ixzz2sYJiVoET
Back to top Go down
nochain

avatar

Posts : 2888
Join date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: Re: More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker   Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:23 am

mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:


    The administration is happy to quote the CBO as not being 'partisian' and offers a fair view....well guess their assessment of [name] cowh healthcare was on target..encourages people not to work which is right in line with the democratic platform of being beholden to those that give the freebies...


Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/5/specter-of-welfare-state-jolts-democrats/#ixzz2sYJiVoET

Look! It's a "tax", it's an "entitlement", it's a "get out of work" excuse, it's another way to increase the progressive voter base at taxpayer expense. But in reality - it's an expensive joke on the working public.

Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker   Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:28 am

nochain wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:


    The administration is happy to quote the CBO as not being 'partisian' and offers a fair view....well guess their assessment of [name] cowh healthcare was on target..encourages people not to work which is right in line with the democratic platform of being beholden to those that give the freebies...


Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/5/specter-of-welfare-state-jolts-democrats/#ixzz2sYJiVoET

Look! It's a "tax", it's an "entitlement", it's a "get out of work" excuse, it's another way to increase the progressive voter base at taxpayer expense. But in reality - it's an expensive joke on the working public.



Another caption:...They re-elected me!!!!!!.....To quote a line from Animal House....Face it you ______ up...you trusted us.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker   

Back to top Go down
 
More ACA spin earns 3 Pinocchios from The Fact Checker
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Politics-
Jump to: