Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

SPANGLISH! "For the caution of health"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nochain

PostSubject: SPANGLISH! "For the caution of health"   Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:31 am

Another failure - even though it launched 2 months late the Spanish version of the ACA web site is a disaster too. I wonder how much this failure cost taxpayers? Oh well, guess people need to learn English - you know, like immigrants used to.

Spanish-language Obamacare website is written in 'Spanglish'

"It launched two months late, but the rollout of the Spanish version of the federal Obamacare portal has been just as disastrous as its English counterpart’s October debut, according to an Associated Press report.
This time, the problem is lousy translations and glitches that send users back to the English version of HealthCare.gov.
The AP says the translations are so poor that many users feel they were computer-generated. The name of the site, CuidadoDeSalud.gov, can be literally read as “for the caution of health.”
One health navigator who works in Miami told the wire service that, if anything, the site is written in “Spanglish.”
The AP says several state-run exchanges also had problems rolling out its Spanish-language services."

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2014/jan/13/spanish-language-obamacare-website-written-spangli/#ixzz2qNjPdQE3
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: SPANGLISH! "For the caution of health"   Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:39 am

nochain wrote:
Another failure - even though it launched 2 months late the Spanish version of the ACA web site is a disaster too. I wonder how much this failure cost taxpayers? Oh well, guess people need to learn English - you know, like immigrants used to.

"It launched two months late, but the rollout of the Spanish version of the federal Obamacare portal has been just as disastrous as its English counterpart’s October debut, according to an Associated Press report.
This time, the problem is lousy translations and glitches that send users back to the English version of HealthCare.gov.
The AP says the translations are so poor that many users feel they were computer-generated. The name of the site, CuidadoDeSalud.gov, can be literally read as “for the caution of health.”
One health navigator who works in Miami told the wire service that, if anything, the site is written in “Spanglish.”
The AP says several state-run exchanges also had problems rolling out its Spanish-language services."

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2014/jan/13/spanish-language-obamacare-website-written-spangli/#ixzz2qNjPdQE3

At the risk of being insensitive.....shouldn't people signing up (or attempting to sign up) for this disasterous healthcare coverage be able to do so in English?....
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: SPANGLISH! "For the caution of health"   Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:11 am

I believe that immigrants should learn English.  

In parts of South Florida I am told, that if you don't speak Spanish, you are treated rudely or ignored in commercial establishments.

riceme

PostSubject: Re: SPANGLISH! "For the caution of health"   Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:12 am

Yeah, one would think, mw... one would think. :/
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: SPANGLISH! "For the caution of health"   Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:15 am

Eric wrote:
I believe that immigrants should learn English.  

In parts of South Florida I am told, that if you don't speak Spanish, you are treated rudely or ignored in commercial establishments.

I have been in businesses in California with the same dynamic.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: SPANGLISH! "For the caution of health"   Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:17 am

riceme wrote:
Yeah, one would think, mw... one would think. :/

Although that may slow the registration of 'illegals' to receive their entitlements...It's sad that in 2014 there is still the topic of what should be the language used in the United States....Have been to South Florida and have had difficulty communicating and yes there is that look like...you should understand me....It's then amazing to hear the success stories from immigrants for decades and their first goal....learning English to fit into their new home...
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: SPANGLISH! "For the caution of health"   Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 am

It doesn't bother me if immigrants speak another language to each other.  But I draw the line with communicating with the citizens of their adopted country in their native language.  It is rude for them to not attempt to learn the language of the country they immigrate to.

I am half Norweigan and know three Norwegian words.

riceme

PostSubject: Re: SPANGLISH! "For the caution of health"   Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:31 am

I agree with both of you. My grandma's parents and some of her older siblings were right off the boat from Italy. It was a priority for them to learn English... her mother, Grandma Noni spoke broken English and cussed like a sailor because she learned the language from hard rock miners and had a 2nd grade education... but she learned the language and so did Papa. I think it's great to preserve your cultural identity and teach the kids your native tongue, but that it is rude not to learn the language of your chosen adopted country.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: SPANGLISH! "For the caution of health"   Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:36 am

riceme wrote:
I agree with both of you. My grandma's parents and some of her older siblings were right off the boat from Italy. It was a priority for them to learn English... her mother, Grandma Noni spoke broken English and cussed like a sailor because she learned the language from hard rock miners and had a 2nd grade education... but she learned the language and so did Papa. I think it's great to preserve your cultural identity and teach the kids your native tongue, but that it is rude not to learn the language of your chosen adopted country.

cheers cheers cheers  CORRECT.....'Grandma Noni' musta been a hoot to listen to....
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: SPANGLISH! "For the caution of health"   Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:52 am

mediawatcher wrote:
riceme wrote:

cheers cheers cheers   CORRECT.....'Grandma Noni' musta been a hoot to listen to....

She said the funniest things... talk about "lost in translation!" Somehow, she got the notion that the phrase "Sacramento, California" was like saying "damn it all to hell" or something. So imagine an ancient Italian lady waving her hands above her head in anger, frustration, etc., etc. (pick your emotion, lol) and in a thick Italian accent yelling "SAC-A-RA-*MEN*-TO, CA-LI-*FOR*-NIA!!!" as if it were the dirtiest cuss word she knew. Of couse, to this day, that is like the holy mother of all dirty words in our family.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: SPANGLISH! "For the caution of health"   Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:59 am

riceme wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
riceme wrote:

cheers cheers cheers   CORRECT.....'Grandma Noni' musta been a hoot to listen to....

She said the funniest things... talk about "lost in translation!" Somehow, she got the notion that the phrase "Sacramento, California" was like saying "damn it all to hell" or something. So imagine an ancient Italian lady waving her hands above her head in anger, frustration, etc., etc. (pick your emotion, lol) and in a thick Italian accent yelling "SAC-A-RA-*MEN*-TO, CA-LI-*FOR*-NIA!!!" as if it were the dirtiest cuss word she knew. Of couse, to this day, that is like the holy mother of all dirty words in our family.

Great story....
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: SPANGLISH! "For the caution of health"   Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:21 pm

...especially considering how many people cuss when they think of Sacramento, California. I know I do Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SPANGLISH! "For the caution of health"   Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:56 pm

nochain wrote:

Spanish is the easiest foreign language for most Americans to learn. I can't imagine why they should have troubles writing a Spanish translation of the ACA.

I would agree that immigrants to the US need to learn English but I think the problem of retaining a foreign language is much more serious among Asian immigrants, many of whom came over during the Vietnam era and still refuse to speak English. We always blame it on Hispanic immigrants because of the number of businesses that offer their services by phone in both English and Spanish. We tend to notice that more than the fact that many Vietnamese and other Asian children come into our public school systems with no ability to speak English at all.
Yes, they should learn English, but if Americans are smart, they will encourage their kids to learn Spanish too. It can be a big benefit to them as they grow older, especially if they decide to go into the business world. This country has too large a Hispanic population to ignore, whether we like it or not.
"Se habla espanol" is not on the doors of businesses all over town for no reason.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SPANGLISH! "For the caution of health"   

Back to top Go down

SPANGLISH! "For the caution of health"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Politics-
Jump to: