Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nochain

avatar

Posts : 2888
Join date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:12 am

It’s far past time for people to be stuck to a party regardless of the candidate.

"Gallup poll shows the number of Americans self-identifying as independents soared to a record 42 percent while the share of Republicans plunged to an all-time low of 25 percent.
The silver lining for Republicans, however, is that Democrats failed to make any gains during the GOP free fall, with their number stuck at 31 percent of the 18,000 adults Gallup surveyed."


Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/8/republicans-get-painful-news-on-brand-problem/#ixzz2pue6ZlaQ
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:25 am

nochain wrote:
It’s far past time for people to be stuck to a party regardless of the candidate.

"Gallup poll shows the number of Americans self-identifying as independents soared to a record 42 percent while the share of Republicans plunged to an all-time low of 25 percent.
The silver lining for Republicans, however, is that Democrats failed to make any gains during the GOP free fall, with their number stuck at 31 percent of the 18,000 adults Gallup surveyed."


Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/8/republicans-get-painful-news-on-brand-problem/#ixzz2pue6ZlaQ  

Another solution would be for 'independents' to be allowed to vote in primary elections on an open ballet which would allow a vote for any candidate of any party...If that were done there would be a huge increase in independent registration....
Back to top Go down
nochain

avatar

Posts : 2888
Join date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:29 am

mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:
It’s far past time for people to be stuck to a party regardless of the candidate.

"Gallup poll shows the number of Americans self-identifying as independents soared to a record 42 percent while the share of Republicans plunged to an all-time low of 25 percent.
The silver lining for Republicans, however, is that Democrats failed to make any gains during the GOP free fall, with their number stuck at 31 percent of the 18,000 adults Gallup surveyed."


Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/8/republicans-get-painful-news-on-brand-problem/#ixzz2pue6ZlaQ  

    Another solution would be for 'independents' to be allowed to vote in primary elections on an open ballet which would allow a vote for any candidate of any party...If that were done there would be a huge increase in independent registration....

That would be great but it would affect the "money pot" for the major parties so we know it will never happen!
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:44 am

nochain wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:
It’s far past time for people to be stuck to a party regardless of the candidate.

"Gallup poll shows the number of Americans self-identifying as independents soared to a record 42 percent while the share of Republicans plunged to an all-time low of 25 percent.
The silver lining for Republicans, however, is that Democrats failed to make any gains during the GOP free fall, with their number stuck at 31 percent of the 18,000 adults Gallup surveyed."


Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/8/republicans-get-painful-news-on-brand-problem/#ixzz2pue6ZlaQ  

    Another solution would be for 'independents' to be allowed to vote in primary elections on an open ballet which would allow a vote for any candidate of any party...If that were done there would be a huge increase in independent registration....

That would be great but it would affect the "money pot" for the major parties so we know it will never happen!

There are some states with open primaries....but far too few...The money pot of the parties is exactly the target and what is one of the things wrong with the election system...Not having to register as a party member would begin to keep them on their toes...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:12 am

nochain wrote:
It’s far past time for people to be stuck to a party regardless of the candidate.

"Gallup poll shows the number of Americans self-identifying as independents soared to a record 42 percent while the share of Republicans plunged to an all-time low of 25 percent.
The silver lining for Republicans, however, is that Democrats failed to make any gains during the GOP free fall, with their number stuck at 31 percent of the 18,000 adults Gallup surveyed."


Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/8/republicans-get-painful-news-on-brand-problem/#ixzz2pue6ZlaQ  


That's because a lot of independents are just Republicans who got too ashamed of their party to want to call themselves by that name anymore. Some of them will still vote that way no matter what.
And no matter how you figure it, 31 percent that are Dems is still more than 25 percent that are Republicans.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:13 am

mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:
It’s far past time for people to be stuck to a party regardless of the candidate.

"Gallup poll shows the number of Americans self-identifying as independents soared to a record 42 percent while the share of Republicans plunged to an all-time low of 25 percent.
The silver lining for Republicans, however, is that Democrats failed to make any gains during the GOP free fall, with their number stuck at 31 percent of the 18,000 adults Gallup surveyed."


Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/8/republicans-get-painful-news-on-brand-problem/#ixzz2pue6ZlaQ  

    Another solution would be for 'independents' to be allowed to vote in primary elections on an open ballet which would allow a vote for any candidate of any party...If that were done there would be a huge increase in independent registration....

That would be great but it would affect the "money pot" for the major parties so we know it will never happen!

      There are some states with open primaries....but far too few...The money pot of the parties is exactly the target and what is one of the things wrong with the election system...Not having to register as a party member would begin to keep them on their toes...



Open primaries are BS. Why should someone in your party get to nominate my party's candidate? If independents want to vote in primaries they can jump down off that fence or find their own candidate.
Back to top Go down
nochain

avatar

Posts : 2888
Join date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:50 am

Otter wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:
It’s far past time for people to be stuck to a party regardless of the candidate.

"Gallup poll shows the number of Americans self-identifying as independents soared to a record 42 percent while the share of Republicans plunged to an all-time low of 25 percent.
The silver lining for Republicans, however, is that Democrats failed to make any gains during the GOP free fall, with their number stuck at 31 percent of the 18,000 adults Gallup surveyed."


Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/8/republicans-get-painful-news-on-brand-problem/#ixzz2pue6ZlaQ  

    Another solution would be for 'independents' to be allowed to vote in primary elections on an open ballet which would allow a vote for any candidate of any party...If that were done there would be a huge increase in independent registration....



That would be great but it would affect the "money pot" for the major parties so we know it will never happen!

      There are some states with open primaries....but far too few...The money pot of the parties is exactly the target and what is one of the things wrong with the election system...Not having to register as a party member would begin to keep them on their toes...



Open primaries are BS. Why should someone in your party get to nominate my party's candidate? If independents want to vote in primaries they can jump down off that fence or find their own candidate.

Spoken like a true hyper-partisan!
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:17 am

nochain wrote:
Otter wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:
It’s far past time for people to be stuck to a party regardless of the candidate.

"Gallup poll shows the number of Americans self-identifying as independents soared to a record 42 percent while the share of Republicans plunged to an all-time low of 25 percent.
The silver lining for Republicans, however, is that Democrats failed to make any gains during the GOP free fall, with their number stuck at 31 percent of the 18,000 adults Gallup surveyed."


Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/8/republicans-get-painful-news-on-brand-problem/#ixzz2pue6ZlaQ  

    Another solution would be for 'independents' to be allowed to vote in primary elections on an open ballet which would allow a vote for any candidate of any party...If that were done there would be a huge increase in independent registration....



That would be great but it would affect the "money pot" for the major parties so we know it will never happen!

      There are some states with open primaries....but far too few...The money pot of the parties is exactly the target and what is one of the things wrong with the election system...Not having to register as a party member would begin to keep them on their toes...



Open primaries are BS. Why should someone in your party get to nominate my party's candidate? If independents want to vote in primaries they can jump down off that fence or find their own candidate.

Spoken like a true hyper-partisan!

You expect anything else from party hacks?...This is another way to keep their power...
Back to top Go down
Eric

avatar

Posts : 9735
Join date : 2012-07-30
Age : 67
Location : Hoover, AL & Pensacola when I'm lucky

PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:26 am

I know that politics gets the juices flowing, but can we please try to be civil?  Assigning a label to another poster reminds me of WTM calling folks Neocons.  It just seems to throw gasoline into the fire.

Okay, soapbox session over.  

Carry on.

_________________
Ideas are funny little things, they won't work unless you do.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
nochain

avatar

Posts : 2888
Join date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:33 am

Eric wrote:
I know that politics gets the juices flowing, but can we please try to be civil?  Assigning a label to another poster reminds me of WTM calling folks Neocons.  It just seems to throw gasoline into the fire.

Okay, soapbox session over.  

Carry on.

Hyper-partisan? (biased in favor of one party)
Democrat?
Republican?
Independent?

Kind of all the same don't you think?

But whatever....
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:40 am

Eric wrote:
I know that politics gets the juices flowing, but can we please try to be civil?  Assigning a label to another poster reminds me of WTM calling folks Neocons.  It just seems to throw gasoline into the fire.

Okay, soapbox session over.  

Carry on.

Read my post again....I said political hacks....not in reference to any one individual and please understand it is the political hacks that oppose open primaries becasue they want to limit it for the sake of party politics...This applies to BOTH parties and there are hacks on both sides and one no better or honest than the other....To compare the comments of anyone here with the likes of _ _ _ is insulting...Personal attacks...Threats....Racial comments...etc., no problem but if some can't take the heat then perhaps they shouldn't comment
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:43 am

nochain wrote:
Eric wrote:
I know that politics gets the juices flowing, but can we please try to be civil?  Assigning a label to another poster reminds me of WTM calling folks Neocons.  It just seems to throw gasoline into the fire.

Okay, soapbox session over.  

Carry on.

Hyper-partisan? (biased in favor of one party)
Democrat?
Republican?
Independent?

Kind of all the same don't you think?

But whatever....

Once again...you RIGHT WINGER!....Geez you're outta control to actual believe that elections should be open to all legal voters rather than registered party members...you radical!...I know 'nochain' and don't believe his feelings will be hut by my comments.....
Back to top Go down
nochain

avatar

Posts : 2888
Join date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:48 am

mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:
Eric wrote:
I know that politics gets the juices flowing, but can we please try to be civil?  Assigning a label to another poster reminds me of WTM calling folks Neocons.  It just seems to throw gasoline into the fire.

Okay, soapbox session over.  

Carry on.

Hyper-partisan? (biased in favor of one party)
Democrat?
Republican?
Independent?

Kind of all the same don't you think?

But whatever....

   Once again...you RIGHT WINGER!....Geez you're outta control to actual believe that elections should be open to all legal voters rather than registered party members...you radical!...I know 'nochain' and don't believe his feelings will be hut by my comments.....

LOL. You're right - I don't wear a sensitive feeling on my sleeve and cry when I feel "insulted". Because I don't. Sometimes I think people don't really READ what is posted and then make assumptions about the true meaning of a post. What is the old Vonnegut saying - "so it goes"?

Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

avatar

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2013-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:56 am

nochain wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:
Eric wrote:
I know that politics gets the juices flowing, but can we please try to be civil?  Assigning a label to another poster reminds me of WTM calling folks Neocons.  It just seems to throw gasoline into the fire.

Okay, soapbox session over.  

Carry on.

Hyper-partisan? (biased in favor of one party)
Democrat?
Republican?
Independent?

Kind of all the same don't you think?

But whatever....

   Once again...you RIGHT WINGER!....Geez you're outta control to actual believe that elections should be open to all legal voters rather than registered party members...you radical!...I know 'nochain' and don't believe his feelings will be hut by my comments.....

LOL. You're right - I don't wear a sensitive feeling on my sleeve and cry when I feel "insulted". Because I don't. Sometimes I think people don't really READ what is posted and then make assumptions about the true meaning of a post. What is the old Vonnegut saying - "so it goes"?


Such a politically correct society that we live in.....Don't think it was your hyper-partisian comment but it may have been both of us...See you encouraged my comment!....Now I'm insulted and feeling sensitive....bullying allegations can't far behind...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:12 pm

I'm not too insulted by being called "hyper-partisan," because I am hyper-partisan. I'm a Democrat and I take Democratic stands on most issues. I don't agree with my party on some issues and I don't think I have to do so.
There are both conservative Democrats and Liberal Democrats. You can't say that about the other party.

Here's the thing though.  The democratic party deserves candidates that are strong and  represent their view in the same way the Republican party deserves a candidate that is strong  that represent their views.  
There have been many instances in open primaries where members of the other party crossed over in order to assure that the weakest member of the party in the election beats out the stronger. Then in the general election, they go back and vote for their candidate against the weak candidate that they managed to get nominated in the open primary.  It's dirty tactics and it's happened in many, many open primary states.

I was an independent for awhile and could barely vote in Escambia County elections. As a Democrat I can at least sometimes find someone to vote for in a primary and I vote for the strongest candidate I think can win. Of course, they never do and so I have probably wasted my vote.
And FYI, I also don't agree with the law that allows me to vote in the Republican party primary if no Democrat is running. I shouldn't be able to choose your candidate even if no democrat decides to run. I and other Dems should just work hard to convince some Dem to run in every race.
I'm not interested in meddling in your party affairs and you shouldn't be interested in meddling in mine.

And no matter how hyper partisan I am, I have voted for Republicans in some recent elections. I voted for Charlie Crist (when he was Republican) and I voted for our sheriff. I won't vote for the sheriff again.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1324
Join date : 2012-07-30
Location : A wild garden

PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:45 pm

Eric wrote:
I know that politics gets the juices flowing, but can we please try to be civil?  Assigning a label to another poster reminds me of WTM calling folks Neocons.  It just seems to throw gasoline into the fire.

Okay, soapbox session over.  

Carry on.

I have been spending way too much time on Facebook. I was desperately searching for the "like" button.  cheers 
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Melissa
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1324
Join date : 2012-07-30
Location : A wild garden

PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:50 pm

I will vote for Charlie Crist this time, just as I did when he was a Republican. I think he was a good governor - much more so than Trick Scott.

Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Jake92



Posts : 1506
Join date : 2013-02-15
Age : 66
Location : Pensaclola, FL

PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:14 pm

ALL politicians have the followers and the ones against them. The problem is the STUPID idiots that vote for the party, not the person, no matter who they are voting for.. I have a friend who is 100% against Christ because she says he cut benefits for WIC.. I told her they should get off their lazy butts and get jobs instead of 2-3 generations of the same family being on WIC or any other UNEARNED benefit..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents   

Back to top Go down
 
Gallup Poll – Things are looking up! More Independents
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Politics-
Jump to: