Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
nochain

nochain

Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE Empty
PostSubject: Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE   Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 7:31 am

Well whats another $100 million lost tax payer dollars? At this point what does it matter? I'm sure Oblamer didn't know a thing about this either - of course the incompetent folks at the DOE tried to hide this one too. That seems to be a real problem with this administration - lie, obfuscate, bob and weave - if they put that much energy into making things work they might even have a few successes.......

"Ecotality filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Sept. 16, but officials at the Energy Department failed to give the inspector general notice in the months leading up to the bankruptcy."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/5/another-black-eye-for-obama-agenda-on-clean-energy/

Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE Obama-green-energy-failures_thumb%25255B6%25255D_thumb%25255B1%25255D
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE   Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 5:32 am

nochain wrote:
Well whats another $100 million lost tax payer dollars? At this point what does it matter? I'm sure Oblamer didn't know a thing about this either - of course the incompetent folks at the DOE tried to hide this one too. That seems to be a real problem with this administration - lie, obfuscate, bob and weave - if they put that much energy into making things work they might even have a few successes.......

"Ecotality filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Sept. 16, but officials at the Energy Department failed to give the inspector general notice in the months leading up to the bankruptcy."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/5/another-black-eye-for-obama-agenda-on-clean-energy/

Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE Obama-green-energy-failures_thumb%25255B6%25255D_thumb%25255B1%25255D
Hey man, I hear you, and no one here likely hates subsidies and this BS more than I do, but where is the outrage over all the hand-over-fist money given to Oil & Gas and Coal, etc.?? Yes, I have worked in the wind industry for many years, but I am only an *extremely* reluctant supporter of government subsidies, so long as they are also being given to the LONG MATURE energy industries that no longer need them in order to compete in the market. THAT being said, Renewables only need subsidies in order to compete in the energy market at this point because O&G and Coal, etc. are STILL getting them after umpteen gajillion frigging years! We need to end ALL the damned subsidies so that Renewables can compete on an even playing-field! Trust me, there is likely no one here who hates the damned government subsidies more than I do. We need to get out of the damned corportate gub'ment teat game. It's killing our nation, as recent history -- and the above article -- has proven!

Below is a dated, although still very relevant article on the subject that points out only a handful of the BS O&G and Coal subsidies that FAR outweigh the subsidies that are currently allowed to Renewables, but which we NEVER read or hear about in main stream media. At this juncture, it could also be addressed to President Obama.

Mr. Romney, let’s be honest about subsidies to renewable energy

Dear Mr. Romney, A lot of attention was given to you by the media when you declared you would allow the Production Tax Credit for wind energy to expire at the end of the year. Your campaign went further to claim that you will “end the stimulus boondoggles, and create a level playing field on which all sources of energy can compete on their merits.”

If you truly wish to create a level playing field for all sources of energy, please tell us what you intend to do about tax credits — those that you call stimulus boondoggles — that currently exist for coal, oil and gas. Many of these tax incentives have existed for decades while the fossil fuel-based industry continues to set new records for multi-billion dollar profitability year after year. What is your position on the fact that the vast majority of federal subsidies for fossil fuels and Ethanol were spent to support energy sources that emit high levels of greenhouse gases when used as fuel?

How will you reconcile the fact that the federal government has historically provided, and continues to provide, substantially larger subsidies to fossil fuels thanto renewables while fossil fuels produce multi-billion dollar profits? Fossil fuels are a mature, well-developed industry that has enjoyed government support since its inception over 100 years ago, totaling approximately $72 billion between 2002 and 2008. During the same period, renewablefuels, which are a relatively young and undeveloped industry, totaled merely $29 billion and 80% of that went to Ethanol subsidies.

How will you address the fact that the Production Tax Credit for wind energy repeatedly approaches expiration on a regular basis unless Congress and the President decide to extend it, throwing costly uncertainty into the renewable energy business model; while the largest subsidies to fossil fuels have been written into the U.S. Tax Code as permanent provisions?

It appears that you like to criticize special tax credits for wind and solar and pretend that the tax incentives to fossil fuels don’t exist. Since powerful lobbyists for the fossil fuel industry have gotten their incentives permanently added to the tax code, you seem to believe that they aren’t tax incentives any longer but just ordinary adjustments to corporate balance sheets. Since so many Americans are spending a lot of time discussing the upcoming expiration of the PTC, can you please address your plans for…

o  the Credit for Production of Nonconventional Fuels- IRC Section 45K. This permanent tax provision provides a lower tax rate for companies who produce certain fossil fuels.

o  the Oil and Gas Exploration & Development Expense – IRC Section 617. Also known as Intangible Drilling Costs (IDC). This tax provision allows fossil fuel companies to deduct the cost of wages, machinery, or unsalvageable materials. The term “unsalvageable materials” is left ambiguousso it can be applied to a broad range of intangible costs.

o  the Oil and Gas Excess Percentage over CostDepletion – IRC Section 613. This permanent provision in the tax code allows independent producers and royalty owners to deduct 15% of gross income earned from oil, gas and oil shale deposits. The nature of this tax incentive is nearly equivalent to the wind energy PTC, except that this one has been made a permanent provision in the tax code for fossil fuels.

o Coal Royalty Payments as Capital Gains– IRC Section 631(c). This permanent provision allows income from the sale of coal under royalty contract to be be treated as a capital gain rather than ordinary taxable income, thereby reducing the tax liability for qualifying individuals. Would you please explain who these qualifying individuals are, and why they deserve this special treatment when profits in this industry are so high?

o  the Credit for Enhanced Oil Recovery Costs– IRC Section 43. This tax credit, also permanentlywritten into the tax code, is available specifically for companies who use hydrocarbon-based tertiary injectant methods.  

o  the Exclusion of Alternative Fuels from the Fuel ExciseTax– IRC Section 6426(d). This section further reduces the tax liability specifically for liquified petroleum gas (LPG), P-series fuels, compressed natural gas (CNG), liquefied natural gas (LNG), liquefied hydrogen, liquid coal,and liquid hydrocarbon from biomass.

Those are just a small number of the many tax incentives given to fossil fuel companies that have been written into the tax code as permanent provisions. You have not addressed these in your campaign platform.

Do you intend to remove these from the permanent tax code? Let’s be honest. I come with an idea. I propose that we extend the PTC long enough for the government to remove the special incentives for fossil fuels from the tax code, thereby leveling government support for all energy sources. Or, we can agree to extend the PTC until the wind and solar industries have managed to add equivalent tax incentives to thetax code that equally benefit them.

You said you wanted to create a level playing field. I’m all for it. But allowing the PTC to expire on the basis of “leveling the field for all energy sources” while the fossil fuel industry continues to enjoy their special incentives is the height of government hypocrisy.

Respectfully,
Wally Lafferty

A Sustainability Minute

For more information on special tax incentives for all energy sources, see: Estimating U.S. GovernmentSubsidies to Energy Sources: 2002-2008,
by the Environmental Law Institute:
http://www.elistore.org/Data/products/d19_07.pdf
Link to Mr. Lafferty's original post w/comments:
http://asustainabilityminute.com/2012/08/19/mr-romney-lets-be-honest-about-subsidies-to-renewable-energy/
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE   Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 7:53 am

riceme wrote:
nochain wrote:
W]
Hey man, I hear you, and no one here likely hates subsidies and this BS more than I do, but where is the outrage over all the hand-over-fist money given to Oil & Gas and Coal, etc.??
http://asustainabilityminute.com/2012/08/19/mr-romney-lets-be-honest-about-subsidies-to-renewable-energy/ [/color]
One subsidy that REALLY burns me up is ethanol. The stuff is hard on small engines - I've had to rebuild my chainsaw and weedeater because of fuel lines leaking due to ethanol.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE   Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:44 am

nochain wrote:
riceme wrote:
nochain wrote:
W]
Hey man, I hear you, and no one here likely hates subsidies and this BS more than I do, but where is the outrage over all the hand-over-fist money given to Oil & Gas and Coal, etc.??
http://asustainabilityminute.com/2012/08/19/mr-romney-lets-be-honest-about-subsidies-to-renewable-energy/ [/color]
One subsidy that REALLY burns me up is ethanol. The stuff is hard on small engines - I've had to rebuild my chainsaw and weedeater because of fuel lines leaking due to ethanol.
My lawnmower repairman showed me a sample of ethanol gasoline in a bottle.  It looked like a stratified "mixture" of water and an opaque gelatinous substance. And ethanol gasoline degrades fairly quickly... like in a month or two, from what I have read. I put ethanol-rated stabilizer in my gasoline in the hopes it will help.

Ricey, I loved that letter by the way... Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE 113
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE   Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:47 am

nochain wrote:
riceme wrote:
nochain wrote:
W]
Same here.....it's murder on fuel line.....but don't you feel better being an environmentalist?....
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE   Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 11:39 am

nochain wrote:
riceme wrote:
nochain wrote:
W]
Do you use top tier fuels? They are tightly regulated to the percentage of ethanol in their fuel (plus a bunch of other stuff). I am kind of a freak about the fluids that I put into my pickup, and I often joke than I feed her better than I feed myself.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE   Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 11:42 am

Eric wrote:

Ricey, I loved that letter by the way... Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE 113
Thanks, E. Wally is a super neat guy. I wish more people would read the article and we could get it in front of the right politicians and they would address the damned issues. We need to get rid of the g damned subsidies... ALL of them. Not just for Renewables.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE   Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 12:42 pm

RE: Ethanol

Oh hey, I forgot to mention this. I am not normally one to put any sort of additives into my rig, but Lucas Oil products were originally recommended to me by a buddy of mine who owns and operates a trucking company -- they primarily haul superloads, like machine heads (wind turbines, and ya, they've hauled a crapload of machines out of Pensacola. When I was there, his guys hauled every single gearbox made in the USA to Pensacola, Greenville, SC, Matane, Quebec and Tehachapi, CA... there's no better carrier or team of drivers), blades, towers -- HUGE, illegal (permitted) loads across North America. He is a good friend and I trust him, so I did the research and liked what I read. Plus, a few mechanics I know and trust gave Lucas products two thumbs up.

Anyhow, Lucas Oil makes an ethanol treatment product. I saw it flash by on their home page, so it's got to be on this product page somewheres, but I don't see it offhand (EDIT: I see it now. It's roughly 3/4 of the way down the page). I always buy their products at truckstops, but I'm sure you can buy it at auto part stores and such as well. They also make a bunch of marine and racing products (link directly below) that you all might be interested in.

Lucas Oil Products: http://www.lucasoil.com/products/

Lucas Ethanol Fuel Conditioner product link (MSDS and Technical Data Sheet, lower right):
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=335&catid=8&loc=show&headTitle=%20-%20Safeguard%E2%84%A2%20Ethanol%20Fuel%20Conditioner%20with%20Stabilizers

Places to buy Lucas Oil products in Pensacola (over 2-pages!):
http://www.lucasoil.com/retailers/results.sd?areacode=&zip=&keyword=Pensacola&limst=0

*Uhh, now that I've said that I use Lucas additives I'd like to pull back and clarify, lol. The only true additive that I use is the Lucas fuel treatment that acts as an injector (or carburetor) cleaner, mostly because screwing w/the injectors on my pickup is a MAJOR pain in the ass. I've also used their 2 stroke oil, gear oil and... ehh, a couple others. Important part is that I would never, EVER use any sort of "stop-leak" in my vehicle no matter WHO made it. Well, I should probably say that it would have to be an all-out emergency. In fact, I cannot even imagine what circumstances under which I would use such a product, of ANY brand and I wouldn't want you all to think I would. I was thinking I'd have to be way back in the mountains or desert, far away from a mobile signal and/or a tow, but I would never even have such a product in my pickup, so that's out. I carry all other fluids with me; never stop-leak. It is just not in my DNA. I'm not criticizing if you're cool with that stuff, but it's not mine. To each his own, live and let live. Kumbaya, and all that sheeet.

I think I've had too much coffee this morning. In fact, I'm 100% certain that I have! lol. Blah blah blah! STFU, rice! Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE   Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE Empty

Back to top Go down

Another "Oblamer "Green - read MONEY" FAILURE
Page 1 of 1