Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. Empty
PostSubject: So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program.   So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Lord knows that the $80B Food Stamp Program is a bit bloated and ripe for some cuts, but politicians use weasel words to describe the Farm Bill.  "Overhaul", they say, of the $500B Farm Bill... not "reductions" or "cuts".

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/28/farm-bill-stalemate-could-send-milk-prices-skyward/

Methinks the politicians just want to cave to Farm lobbyists and just reauthorize current supports.

Why in hell are these programs so intertwined that the Farms cannot be placated without cuts to the Food Stamp program?

Why is the Federal Government subsidizing the price of milk anyway?

Politics... I just don't understand the bullcrap going on in D.C.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. Empty
PostSubject: Re: So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program.   So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 5:26 am

Eric wrote:
Lord knows that the $80B Food Stamp Program is a bit bloated and ripe for some cuts, but politicians use weasel words to describe the Farm Bill.  "Overhaul", they say, of the $500B Farm Bill... not "reductions" or "cuts".

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/28/farm-bill-stalemate-could-send-milk-prices-skyward/

Methinks the politicians just want to cave to Farm lobbyists and just reauthorize current supports.

Why in hell are these programs so intertwined that the Farms cannot be placated without cuts to the Food Stamp program?

No matter the doublespeak on whatever subject....'bullcrap' pretty much sums it up....Another thing learned yesterday insurance cancellations are now 'transitions'...wonder if that makes those that just got transitioned feel any better...Politics is such a corrupt occupation...adding food stamps to the farm bill ?....So when the bloated program is rejected one side or the other can say the __________ don't care about farmers and candidates can flock to states such as Iowa with their message...
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program.   So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 9:03 am

There might be some minor cuts to this bloated program but the real problem is skyrocketing SNAP benefits. Recipients almost doubled the outlay for SNAP over the last few years. Progressives cry about cutting the SNAP budget but turn a blind eye toward the waste evident in the program.

So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. Farm-bill-alocation

"Starbucks drinks, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Taco Bell, soap operas, and alcohol were all purchased this year with federal food stamp funds. In Tennessee, food stamps paid for beer, diapers, and condoms. In three states, some individuals received more food stamp benefits simply because they smoke marijuana."

http://themommylobby.org/facts-on-snap-waste/

Yea - I just don't see where a single penny could get cut without causing mass starvation of poor kids.....
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program.   So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 9:10 am

nochain wrote:
There might be some minor cuts to this bloated program but the real problem is skyrocketing SNAP benefits. Recipients almost doubled the outlay for SNAP over the last few years. Progressives cry about cutting the SNAP budget but turn a blind eye toward the waste evident in the program.

So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. Farm-bill-alocation

"Starbucks drinks, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Taco Bell, soap operas, and alcohol were all purchased this year with federal food stamp funds.  In Tennessee, food stamps paid for beer, diapers, and condoms.  In three states, some individuals received more food stamp benefits simply because they smoke marijuana."

http://themommylobby.org/facts-on-snap-waste/

Yea - I just don't see where a single penny could get cut without causing mass starvation of poor kids.....
The 'condoms' are too late and we're paying for that too.....So you get MORE for smokin fatties!!!!...Well you gotta factor in the munchies...see there is some logic in that government thinking...Oreos with double stuff have got to be big purchases...
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program.   So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 10:25 am

This is just another of many examples of bloated programs with insufficient controls or oversight not to mention the Feds mandating requirements to states without adequate funding. Hmmmm - sounds kind of like Oblamercare come to think of it. What could possibly go wrong - oh wait.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program.   So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 1:53 pm

Eric wrote:

The Government should not be subsidizing the price of milk. Milk is one subject that I'm angry about because it already costs too much. We drink a goodly amount of milk at our house, and the prices vary between stores as much as $2.50 a gallon, with Walmart being one of the worst price gougers.
I suspect that if Walgreens can sell a gallon of milk for $2.99 (Barber's) then Walmart really does not have to charge $5.42 for the same brand. Is the milk sold to Walgreens subsidized while the milk that goes to Walmart not subsidized? What's going on there? Wealthy farmers don't need subsidies,but in all honesty,there are a lot of Americans out there who have to depend on food stamps to help feed their families. Families living on two minimum wage salaries and paying rent and utilities actually do have trouble with food bills. It isn't just welfare cheats that need a little help.
I hate to see the food stamp amounts reduced while huge subsidies go to large commercial farmers. The whole thing is upside down.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program.   So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 12:56 pm

While many of you are celebrating the food stamp cuts to all those Americans who you say don't need them, about 5000 of our troops are being cut back on their food stamps too.

Those are today's headlines. I am totally against restoring SNAP benefits to soldiers unless we restore those benefits to all Americans that need the help. Our military members can at least eat at a commissary if needs be, but depriving poor children who have no alternative so grown men can eat off base is not a moral alternative, IMO.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program.   So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 1:39 pm

Otter wrote:
While many of you are celebrating the food stamp cuts to all those Americans who you say don't need them,  about 5000 of our troops are being cut back on their food stamps too.

Those are today's headlines. I am totally against restoring SNAP benefits to soldiers unless we restore those  benefits to all Americans that need the help. Our military members can at least eat at a commissary if needs be, but depriving poor children who have no alternative  so  grown men can eat off base  is not a moral alternative, IMO.
You can't get SNAP benefits without children. The 5,000 military families receiving benefits are in lower paygrades and if they remain in the service will likely promote out of the need for SNAP. Considering there are 48,000,000 "others" on SNAP the 5K military isn't even budget dust in this bloated program. Eliminate SNAP fraud as much as as possible and the gov't would likely achieve $10B in savings that can be used to support bona fide recipients. As the following article attests the cuts for an average family of 4 equals ten cents per meal.......

The really puzzling part of this situation is that those in Congress screaming the loudest contributed to this problem themselves.

"Democrats Protest $5 Billion Food Stamp Cut They Voted For"

"But the cut, which will reduce monthly benefits for all 47 million Americans enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program by roughly 7 percent, is happening thanks mainly to Democratic votes that hastened the demise of a benefit increase from the 2009 stimulus bill. Each of the representatives at Tuesday's presser voted with their party for a pair of 2010 spending bills that set the cuts in motion."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/29/food-stamp-cuts_n_4173942.html
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program.   So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 5:31 am

nochain wrote:
Otter wrote:
While many of you are celebrating the food stamp cuts to all those Americans who you say don't need them,  about 5000 of our troops are being cut back on their food stamps too.

Those are today's headlines. I am totally against restoring SNAP benefits to soldiers unless we restore those  benefits to all Americans that need the help. Our military members can at least eat at a commissary if needs be, but depriving poor children who have no alternative  so  grown men can eat off base  is not a moral alternative, IMO.
You can't get SNAP benefits without children. The 5,000 military families receiving benefits are in lower paygrades and if they remain in the service will likely promote out of the need for SNAP. Considering there are 48,000,000 "others" on SNAP the 5K military isn't even budget dust in this bloated program. Eliminate SNAP fraud as much as as possible and the gov't would likely achieve $10B in savings that can be used to support bona fide recipients. As the following article attests the cuts for an average family of 4 equals ten cents per meal.......

The really puzzling part of this situation is that those in Congress screaming the loudest contributed to this problem themselves.

"But the cut, which will reduce monthly benefits for all 47 million Americans enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program by roughly 7 percent, is happening thanks mainly to Democratic votes that hastened the demise of a benefit increase from the 2009 stimulus bill. Each of the representatives at Tuesday's presser voted with their party for a pair of 2010 spending bills that set the cuts in motion."

Got nothing against cuts....shouldn't the administration/congress have already taken steps to create a more business friendly environment in which jobs would have been created...businessess would have expanded...perhaps the concept of raising people UP out of dependency could have been accomplished much easier rather than pulling DOWN the middle class...oh that's right this has been the era of HOPE and CHANGE....well the change part fits....It's very disturbing to see the food basket donations at a Commissary for active duty military personnel to help them make ends meet...the concept of the military helping out their own is commendable but the idea that those serving are in this position in the first place is disgusting...politicians will demand the minimum wage be increased but once again the concept to taking care of the military remains low on many priority lists....As mentioned... perhaps the cutting of the waste and fraud could go a long way of helping those that serve...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program.   So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:23 am

I don't mind cuts if they are done right.  I guess I started this thread to bitch about how poor folks are targeted while businesses (big farms) continue to get their unneeded subsidies.

Hey, y'all talk about waste and fraud... how about the Fat Leonard case?  Where is the oversight on this???

Quote :
The firm overcharged the Navy millions for fuel, food and other services it provided, and invented tariffs by using phony port authorities, the prosecution alleges.
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/11/03/4596684/feds-navy-secrets-bought-with.html

Edit: Okay, they are prosecuting him... now... after wasting money for YEARS.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program.   So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:51 am

Eric wrote:
I don't mind cuts if they are done right.  I guess I started this thread to bitch about how poor folks are targeted while businesses (big farms) continue to get their unneeded subsidies.

Hey, y'all talk about waste and fraud... how about the Fat Leonard case?  Where is the oversight on this???

Quote :
The firm overcharged the Navy millions for fuel, food and other services it provided, and invented tariffs by using phony port authorities, the prosecution alleges.
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/11/03/4596684/feds-navy-secrets-bought-with.html

Edit: Okay, they are prosecuting him... now... after wasting money for YEARS.
It is a real head shaker to wonder why so much waste and fraud is and has been tolerated....Talk about an issue that cuts through political lines...which is the reason I'm guessing that not one will acknowledge much less attack that sacred cow....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program.   So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 7:46 pm

nochain wrote:
Otter wrote:

Here's what the article also said. It said that a single army private who had been in the service less than 2 years makes around 40K per year, which includes housing and food allowances. It is not true that you have to have children to receive food stamps, btw, they are available to anyone who has a low enough income.
Soldiers with children would get a little higher pay for their dependents, (I believe,I could be wrong ab out that) but I'm curious why anyone who makes over 40K per year even needs food stamps?
It seems that whenever there's a cut in anything the first people the news media like to talk about are soldiers and if those cuts affect them in any way. This was the top headline on page one of the PNJ a couple of days ago. The cuts affect everyone in America who is part of our large group of working poor.
No offense, but civilians don't have the safety nets that military members do. And it doesn't matter if a child belongs to a civilian or a soldier if their parents  need help with their food bills.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program.   So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 7:26 am

You're correct, apparently some adults can - but since single military folks are employed it looks to me like the answer would be no - I looked it up and this is what the SNAP site said -

"Some adults without dependents can only receive SNAP benefits for three months out of a 36-month period unless they are employed or performing work in exchange for assistance."

So how much do you feel it is going to hurt for people to lose about 10 cents per meal? I think I could make do....

I retired from the Navy as an Officer after raising 3 kids but my Father and Mother raised five kids on his Navy enlisted salary. No food stamps, no welfare, no help. They did so by managing their income and living within their means. We ate a lot beans and rice meals but never went hungry. Imagine if more people were self-reliant like that......

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program.   So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program. Empty

Back to top Go down

So, I'm reading about a Food Stamp cuts and overhauling of the Farm Program.
Page 1 of 1