Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

E-mail with "Resume", "UPS Tracking Information", or "voice message"? DON'T OPEN!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eric

PostSubject: E-mail with "Resume", "UPS Tracking Information", or "voice message"? DON'T OPEN!   Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:54 pm

It is probably a virus... Ransomware, it's called... and usually comes from an infected computer of a person that you know.

http://www.northescambia.com/2013/10/local-police-warn-about-computer-virus

Quote :
In each case, opening this .ZIP file will activate the virus and lock users our of their own files.

The virus, normally spread by email, will seek out a contact list and email itself to others.

According to a press release from the Pensacola Police Department, this virus is extremely destructive because it securely encrypts all of the computer user’s personal files. Once these files are encrypted they can only be opened  with the use of a ” private key”. The virus program gives the computer user information on how to purchase the private key over the internet by wiring money to an account. The amount of  money required varies between$100 and $300.

Eric

PostSubject: Re: E-mail with "Resume", "UPS Tracking Information", or "voice message"? DON'T OPEN!   Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:59 pm

I have backup copies of my data on multiple portable hard drives, some of which are even in different houses. In the event I get suckered into something like this, I will lose some stuff (most recently created, not backed up yet), but the bulk of my files will be safe.

Ghost Rider
Admin

PostSubject: Re: E-mail with "Resume", "UPS Tracking Information", or "voice message"? DON'T OPEN!   Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:02 pm

Eric, I cleaned a couple of computers the past couple of days of this CryptoLocker Ransomwear. I have found that running in the safe mode that most antivirus software will some what clean an infected computer. However after cleaning it, there is some editing of the Registry that has to be done. After I finished all files were still intact.

PostSubject: Re: E-mail with "Resume", "UPS Tracking Information", or "voice message"? DON'T OPEN!   Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:11 pm

I cleaned a friend's computer of the Antivirus Security Pro a couple of weeks ago... For the second time. His brother was using the laptop this time... Clicked on the "you're infected" link... Duh!

So, this virus doesn't REALLY encrypt the data files?  Only makes you THINK they are encrypted?

I had to do the safe mode thing too, but Windows 8 makes it a pain to get to Safe Mode on bootup.

riceme

PostSubject: Re: E-mail with "Resume", "UPS Tracking Information", or "voice message"? DON'T OPEN!   Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:44 am

Shoot, I completely forgot to share the Cryptolocker information with you all, so I'm glad to see that at least *one* of us remembered! I'm going to have to pass along the info that GR posted here. Thanks, man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: E-mail with "Resume", "UPS Tracking Information", or "voice message"? DON'T OPEN!   

Back to top Go down

E-mail with "Resume", "UPS Tracking Information", or "voice message"? DON'T OPEN!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Hobbies and Personal Interests :: Computers-
Jump to: