Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

meanwhile, in Alaska

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Eric wrote:
Like the old adage about a "Butterfly flapping it's wings" ending up a hurricane, Ricey broke wind in North Pole Alaska and Pensacola is now going down to 36 Saturday night.  santa
LOL. Sorry, y'all. Embarassed For the first time I can honestly say that both me and my pickup were officially cold this morning. It's about 40 below now and even with heaters on it, the Taco (my pickup) was pretty pissed off this morning.
Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:23 pm

Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:00 pm

Oh shit, nochain! I don't know whether to laugh or cry... Poor guy! :/
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:06 pm

Oh, I momentarily forgot why I came here... poor boo boo bear distracted me. Okay, I've learned something new today. Even with heaters, vehicle completely warmed up, and after having been plugged in all night, then running all morning (people do that here. don't tell my hippy dippy sister, lol) because The Taco was so VERY pissed off about it being -40, then driving around a bunch, the heater on all the while... that MF-er STILL blows cold air when it's this cold out. I can't WAIT for 65 or 70 below!!
Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:42 am

riceme wrote:
Oh, I momentarily forgot why I came here... poor boo boo bear distracted me. Okay, I've learned something new today. Even with heaters, vehicle completely warmed up, and after having been plugged in all night, then running all morning (people do that here. don't tell my hippy dippy sister, lol) because The Taco was so VERY pissed off about it being -40, then driving around a bunch, the heater on all the while... that MF-er STILL blows cold air when it's this cold out. I can't WAIT for 65 or 70 below!!
And here I am whining about 50 degrees ABOVE!

Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:57 pm

lol, nc... my cousin's wife and i were laughing last night because it was 50 below out (and honestly, I could not tell much difference between 30 and 50 below... at some point it's just f'ing cold, lol) and i'd been grouching because i'd forgotten to get antifreeze when i was in town yesterday (gotta replace the block heater today) and i said to her in 100% seriousness, "well, at least it's supposed to be WARM tomorrow!" the comment sat there for a minute then we both laughed, because it's expected to be -16 in town, so 5 to 10 less than that here. it's -40 now so... get busy warmin' up!

oh, and when i work on my pickup this afternoon i'm going to zip tie some cardboard in front of my radiator. that will help with the cold air she's blowing and to keep the motor a little warmer. 

i am totally enjoying my arctic adventure. i told deb that i thought you had to have a good sense of humor to make it here. she smiled and said, "yeah, and you gotta be at *least* half crazy."

i just learned a very important lesson: don't wear button-fly 501s to the outhouse when it's -40 (it could actually be colder than that... -40 is as low as my thermometer goes, but really that's all the information i need: it's goddamn cold). i could not get them buttoned back up (not even one button) with one glove off, which is standard operating procedure, nor could i with my glove back on my hand. of couse, my arctic carhartt covers my ass, so i couldn't hold my damn levis up running back to the cabin. total rookie maneuver. there is no doubt in my mind that somewhere, someone is laughing at my trials and errors. good thing i have a good sense of humor. Wink

Last edited by riceme on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:39 pm

riceme wrote:
lol, nc... my cousin's wife and i were laughing last night because it was 50 below out (and honestly, I could not tell much difference between 30 and 50 below... at some point it's just f'ing cold, lol) and i'd been grouching because i'd forgotten to get antifreeze when i was in town yesterday (gotta replace the block heater today) and i said to her in 100% seriousness, "well, at least it's supposed to be WARM tomorrow!" the comment sat there for a minute then we both laughed, because it's expected to be -16 in town, so 5 to 10 less than that here. it's -40 now so... get busy warmin' up!

oh, and when i work on my pickup this afternoon i'm going to zip tie some cardboard in front of my radiator. that will help with the cold air she's blowing and to keep the motor a little warmer. 

i am totally enjoying my arctic adventure. i told deb that i thought you had to have a good sense of humor to make it here. she smiled and said, "yeah, and you gotta be at *least* half crazy."
You could probably use one of these!

Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:52 pm

lol, that's awesome. oops, i edited my above post while you posted that, nc. 

if you don't count all the pickups that people drive up here, i think subarus would be the alaskan state car. all the ladies drive those 4WD wagon jobbers. i see a lot of them in colorado too, but way more here. 

about 1/3 of the pickups have either a snowplow implement or cattle-catchers on them (yes, like a freight train). between 99 - 100% of quads have a snowplow implement. i like it here Smile.
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:03 pm

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:08 pm

LMFAO. Looks about right.

In the ongoing saga of Rice's Arctic Lesson's Learned... I just had to use a framing hammer to slam a pry-bar into the hood of my pickup to get it to open, lol. And again, that was after The Taco had been running all morning.... "FOOOOCCCKKK!"
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:02 pm

Lol... I'm loving these stories... I'm sorry that they're tough lessons for you. I was wondering something tho... Do people use that aluminum foam board up there? I'm making a little house on a 24' pontoon boat. It would be cool if I could pull it up there in a few years. Are there many high tech homes up there? Have you heard about other good ideas? I'm in northern michigan... but a southern boy at the center. I'm very impressed by you..!! ( ;
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:51 am

PkrBum wrote:
Lol... I'm loving these stories... I'm sorry that they're tough lessons for you. I was wondering something tho... Do people use that aluminum foam board up there? I'm making a little house on a 24' pontoon boat. It would be cool if I could pull it up there in a few years. Are there many high tech homes up there? Have you heard about other good ideas? I'm in northern michigan... but a southern boy at the center. I'm very impressed by you..!! ( ;
I'm so glad you're enjoying, Pkr Smile. I am truly enjoying learning my lessons and I am very happy. 

We use what we call blue foam, and it's what you sit on in everyone's outhouse because it magically holds heat somehow. I have no clue what it's made of. It is not toasty-oasty when you sit on it at 50 below, but it is sure as hell warmeer than wood, and when it's 20-degrees (above zero) it IS toasty warm!

The most high tech homes I've seen are the dry cabin I live in (are ya pickin' up what I'm puttin' down?? lol) and my cousin's wet cabin next door, which is a beautiful home. Most of inhabited Alaska looks like the deep south after a Class 5 hurricane ripped through it... blue roofs, derelict vehicles up on blocks, etc. everywhere. I am sure there are other nice places here, but I have not seen them yet. In fact, I was joking with Deb the other day that if I ever had company out, I could just tell them to turn right into the driveway after the blue '88 Chevy Crew Cab, lol. Fortunately there's enough property and trees between the neighbors that I don't have to look at their crap. Only place I can see is my cousin's through the trees. 

I can take a picture of the blue foam for you if you want. It's super neat stuff. I think there's a little piece under my deck that's not buried in snow. 

You want to bring the pontoon boat up for use on lakes, I assume? Man, from Michigan that would be a GORGEOUS drive!! You'd want to wait til break-up season was completely over and it was summer, I would think. 

What kind of weather have you all got now, Pkr? I was all excited because it was supposed to be warm today (see new Arctic definition of "warm" above), then with wind chill it was like 40 - 55 below all day. Was supposed to be a heat wave tomorrow (now I'm just teasing) at 22, but now it's going to blizzard. Damn weatherman.
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:15 am

We're having highs close to fifty ABOVE during the day... lol. But it's getting into the low thirties and into the twenties at night. It's supposed to start snowing soon... but they have alot of trouble predicting weather here. Lake michigan makes it tough to know what will happen.

I know what foam you're talking about... we use it up north too. Haven't tried it on an outhouse yet... but I don't have to use one very often... lol.

I plan on making a little house on the pontoon... still tearing the pontoon down to the frame. I want to use that aluminum foam board for the decking... and maybe use light gauge metal studs to frame it and spray foam insulation. I have a fifty horse motor and think I'll put the controls on the front... or maybe on the roof. I don't think it'll be much good for exploring or driving much... mostly just a home made camper. I'll take pictures when I start building it... maybe y'all can help me figure out the details... It's all just in my head so far.
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:42 am

My dad's marina had a 27' pontoon houseboat for a while. We bought it new and I rigged a new 18 hp Evinrude on the back. I drove it (more like put-put-put) to Fort Walton Beach from Pensacola. It was a two-day trip one way.

PKRBum, keep it light.

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:14 am

PkrBum wrote:
We're having highs close to fifty ABOVE during the day... lol. But it's getting into the low thirties and into the twenties at night. It's supposed to start snowing soon... but they have alot of trouble predicting weather here. Lake michigan makes it tough to know what will happen.

I know what foam you're talking about... we use it up north too. Haven't tried it on an outhouse yet... but I don't have to use one very often... lol.

I plan on making a little house on the pontoon... still tearing the pontoon down to the frame. I want to use that aluminum foam board for the decking... and maybe use light gauge metal studs to frame it and spray foam insulation. I have a fifty horse motor and think I'll put the controls on the front... or maybe on the roof. I don't think it'll be much good for exploring or driving much... mostly just a home made camper. I'll take pictures when I start building it... maybe y'all can help me figure out the details... It's all just in my head so far.
Interesting, you might want to take a look here:

http://blog.pontoonhouseboatodyssey.com/2009/07/14/pontoon-houseboat-pictures.aspx
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:51 pm

Excellent site Nochain... Thank you..!! It'll be nice to incorporate their experience and ideas.
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:00 pm

PkrBum, do pontoon boats plane?

They seem to go faster than a displacement boat will go, so I guess they're planing, but they don't go with the bow up, and they don't go REAL fast.

This half-assed inquiring mind wants to know.

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:09 pm

PkrBum wrote:

Dangit! I just posted a long response to this then lost my 3G. On the topic of which, my cousin and his wife had been telling me to expect everything up here to be crazy-expensive. My observation thus far is that for the most part most things are the same or less expensive than California. The things that I've found so far that are STUPID expensive are coffee (which is a serious issue for me, lol), produce (of course), power/energy of any sort whether it's diesel #1 (heating oil), electric, propane... take your pick, and INTERNET SERVICE. I am not kidding about the internet... shit costs over $250/mo and there is no such animal as an "unlimited" package. Hell, I thought AT&T had me over a barrel for $47/mo in California!

And on that note...

I'm going next door to use my cousin's shower and internet now Smile. I'll recreate my response to this post after I get showered up, Pkr.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:53 pm

PkrBum wrote:

Okay, now trying to recreate my original response that I lost over at my place.

What I know about Michigan is that it can be windy as hell and that it's a lot more humid than it is here (which is like zero humidity), and both of those things make it feel much colder at higher temperatures. I did not really feel the cold until it got to about -25 or 30, and to me back home and in Kansas for example, where the snow is usually a wet snow and the wind blows at least 20 mi/hr all day every day, even if it's only 40 (above) and the wind is blowing 20 mi/hr, it can be freaking miserable. That wind just goes right through you and whips at any exposed piece of skin. The snow we get up here is that super dry snow that squeaks when you walk or drive on it. I call it fly shit snow, haha.

If you have a fishing cabin or something with an outhouse you should get yourself a sheet of that blue foam, for reals. It's awesome stuff, and right after you sit on it, it pretty much warms up, even when it's super cold.

If you haul that pontoon boat up here you're gonna want to be exploring some Wink. If you put the controls on the roof you won't be protected if you get surprised by a freak-storm :/. Definitely post your pictures once you get going... that would be fun!!
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:49 pm

There's a parallel funny story going on up here that you all have been missing thus far, and after last night I decided to keep you apprised of the entertainment. For the most part the women up here are, uhh... pretty "arctic," to put it kindly. Another word might be "burly." While I am not a bad looking girl, I have never been randomly asked out by men too much in my life because I do not put off a super warm and fuzzy, come-and-get-me vibe. In fact, I'd say I put off more of a "If you lay one finger on me I'll gun you down" sort of a vibe, lol. So, that being said, Alaskan men are freaking bold, and they are not askeered of me like men in the Lower 48. I have been asked out more times in the 6-weeks or so I've been up here than I think I had in all my 41 years before I got here. 

Just a couple of the good ones: Clearly I need to get my age-detector calibrated. Met a super nice guy at the parts store (where else??)... it was during the power outage and we ended up being stuck in line together for over two hours and went to get supper together afterward, then went to get a drink. Early on he'd asked me how old I was and I'd told him that I was 41. He flashed an epic smile and said, "Perfect." We totally hit it off, had tons in common, super-enjoyed each other's company... turns out he's 22. Wh-wh-whhhuuuutttttttt????? That is decidedly not "perfect." 

Met a super neat MAN (36-years old, lol) at the Toyota dealership... yup, buying parts again (what else??). Again, super neat, tons in common, we BS-ed with the parts manager for a long time about wind turbines and stuff. He has his own shop and had designed and built his own wood boiler (and I'm the sort of girl that would be impressed by that), I was asking him about it, he asked for my number, I gave it to him, we taked for a week or so, he invited me out to the shop, and as soon as I walked in I wanted to turn around and run out. It was like Hoarders, Alaska Edition. There was bunches of cool shit in there, but I was having frigging panic attacks thinking it was gonna fall on my head and bury me. 

My sisters and I have always had a set of rules for the men we date... oddly, we developed them independently, but found that our rules were all the same. I have periodically broken one of the rules at a time. They include things like 1/ no jewelry... jewelry is for chicks, 2/ no perfume... perfume is for chicks, 3/ no lady-pants, 4/ can't spend more time getting ready than me (this is a trick rule because it doesn't take any of us very long to get ready), 5/ no hair product, 6/ can't be prettier than me (lol).  

So last night when I finally was able to extract myself from Hoarders, Alaska Edition, I decided I needed to make a set of Arctic Rules since there is sub-zero risk of any of the previous rules being broken: 1/ How many pickups are up on blocks in your yard/shop (combined)? 2/ How many dogs up under your porch/in your house/shop (combined)? 3/ Has your foot and/or leg hair grown/attached to your wool socks? 4/ How long since you bathed? 5/ How long since you seen/touched a HUMAN female? 

Can you think of any necessary additions?? lol
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:03 pm

Oh yeah: HOW OLD ARE YOU?? CAN I PLEASE SEE YOUR ID, SIR?? lol
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:04 pm

Eric wrote:
PkrBum, do pontoon boats plane?

They seem to go faster than a displacement boat will go, so I guess they're planing, but they don't go with the bow up, and they don't go REAL fast.

This half-assed inquiring mind wants to know.
I'm probably not the best person to ask... lol. I have a nice pontoon up north at a lake... but it just has a 50 four stroke on it too. You can't pull a skier unless they had trick skiis or sumthin.

Riceme... sounds like your dance cards full... lol. It does say alot that you need new standards... those are hilarious..!!
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:32 pm

Pkr, when I was living in Humboldt County I knew people who bathed and changed their clothes so infrequently that their leg hair grew into / attached to their wool socks. So that new Arctic Rule did not come out of nowhere... it's been haunting me for years, lol.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:48 pm

Ghost Rider: did you ever go up to the Arctic Circle when you were here? It's only a couple hundred miles away... Smile
Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:03 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   

Back to top Go down

meanwhile, in Alaska
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Funny and Amusing-