Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

meanwhile, in Alaska

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Ghost Rider
Admin

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:51 pm

riceme wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
It was during my military career I was stationed at Ft Wainwright near Fairbanks. You mention Badger Gas, I assume that you are somewhere in the greater Fairbanks metropolis. There is a Badger Gas in North Pole. So is this where you are located?
Ha, that's funny. I am kinda in the boonies outside of North Pole. Too funny. My cousin works at Ft Wainwright... he's a Smokejumper out there. I've only been into Fairbanks once so that I could use my mobile phone, cos that's the only place it works around here. It's alright, but way too big for my liking.

So, you miss it up here? Right now it's snowing and it's about 5-degrees where I'm at. rendeer
Yes I loved every minute that I spent there. I am sure that the area has changed considerably since I left there in the 80's. I wasn't really at Wainwright very much, being assigned to the 1st Stryker Brigade 25th Infantry Division. Being with them didn't afford me to much of an opportunity to be at Wainwright very much as I was almost always in the field or on deployment somewhere.

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Ghost Rider wrote:
Yes I loved every minute that I spent there. I am sure that the area has changed considerably since I left there in the 80's. I wasn't really at Wainwright very much, being assigned to the 1st Stryker Brigade 25th Infantry Division. Being with them didn't afford me to much of an opportunity to be at Wainwright very much as I was almost always in the field or on deployment somewhere.
Understood. What were your favorite things about it up here? I enjoy the "live and let live" mentality a lot, being an über private hermitty sort of a person. The scenery certainly doesn't suck. I like that if you choose to do so, you can feed your family easily for essentially nothing. People leave you alone. Oh, did I already say that? Haha. Think you'll ever come back up for a visit?
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:03 pm

riceme wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Understood. What were your favorite things about it up here? I enjoy the "live and let live" mentality a lot, being an über private hermitty sort of a person. The scenery certainly doesn't suck. I like that if you choose to do so, you can feed your family easily for essentially nothing. People leave you alone. Oh, did I already say that? Haha. Think you'll ever come back up for a visit?
I would really love to come back for a visit before I start pushing up daisies. I have this on my bucket list. My favorite things are basically the same as yours, the "live and let live" mentality, the beautiful scenery and the wide open spaces. I also loved to go camping with the family when I was in garrison. All my family are hunters and it wasn't until I got to Alaska that I learned to eat moose and bear meat. If you have never tried either, I highly recommend it. You have to try it before you come back to the lower 48.

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:01 pm

Ghost Rider wrote:
I would really love to come back for a visit before I start pushing up daisies. I have this on my bucket list. My favorite things are basically the same as yours, the "live and let live" mentality, the beautiful scenery and the wide open spaces. I also loved to go camping with the family when I was in garrison. All my family are hunters and it wasn't until I got to Alaska that I learned to eat moose and bear meat. If you have never tried either, I highly recommend it. You have to try it before you come back to the lower 48.
I also love to camp. The farther away from the world I can get, the better. I fell in love with moose meat at first bite. It's delicious. My cousin didn't draw a bear tag this year, so I haven't tried it yet but he says I'll love it. I thought of you last night when I was eating supper though... smoked salmon that he caught this past Summer.

My whole family are hunters, too, but the cousin who lives across the slough is probably the best. Dall sheep, brown bear, moose, caribou,...

I don't really have any plans to go back to the Lower 48. Something would have to happen for me to do that.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:12 pm

riceme wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
I also love to camp. The farther away from the world I can get, the better. I fell in love with moose meat at first bite. It's delicious. My cousin didn't draw a bear tag this year, so I haven't tried it yet but he says I'll love it. I thought of you last night when I was eating supper though... smoked salmon that he caught this past Summer.

My whole family are hunters, too, but the cousin who lives across the slough is probably the best. Dall sheep, brown bear, moose, caribou,...

I don't really have any plans to go back to the Lower 48. Something would have to happen for me to do that.
Now I'm envious since you have decided to live up there permanently. Thanks for thinking about me while chomping down on the smoked salmon, however I do not eat seafood. I will go fishing and clean and freeze most of the fish I catch because all my family do eat seafood.

I watch "Buying Alaska" on TV and I'll be quite honest with you. It really makes me want to move back up there on a permanent basis.

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:15 am

GR, I have wanted to live permanently in Alaska since I was about 17 or 18. When I was in my early to mid 20s I thought that some little village outside of Nome would be an awesome place to live because it would be the farthest away I could get from civilization. During the 6 or so months that I had cable TV while I was living in Kansas I watched some of the shows about Alaska and because of the things I saw on those shows, I did some research, and learned that those villages were probably not a super good place for me to live for a number of reasons, most or all of which I'm sure you can put together for yourself.

Hell, I can walk 20-yards outside the cabin and basically be in the damned wilderness, so I'm good to go as far as I'm concerned. It's a dry cabin, which I'm sure you know the definition of, but for others' benefit means that there is no proper indoor plumbing. I have an outhouse and what I refer to as "redneck plumbing," which amounts to a sludge bucket underneath the bathroom sink. I've lived in much more primitive situations several times when I was younger, so this is pretty luxurious when I think back on that.

You ever watch that show Mountain Men on the History Channel? If you do, the fellow Marty that's on it is my cousin's best buddy. He was just over to the house tonight when I was over across the slough BS-ing with the boys. My cousin was welding him up a bracket for the sled he pulls behind his snow machine while he's out trapping. My cousin is nearly always with him when they're filming, but will not allow them to put him on the air, and gives Marty no end of crap about being a "movie star," haha, because he's on that show. If I didn't know my family as well as I did I'd tell him to lay offa him because the man is putting away extra money for retirement, basically for doing nothing. But we come from a long line of family who teases. "We wouldn't tease ya if we didn't love ya," sort of mentality. Anyhow, me and the boys did give ole Marty some grief about it tonight.

Hey, TOTALLY off the subject... If I remember correctly, you also ride. Uhh, as in ride motorcycles. I was wondering tonight if you watch that Sons of Anarchy show. In my past I have hung out some with a couple motorcycle clubs... they always treated me right and protected me. Don't read into that that I am a "biker chick" or an "ole lady"... I have just been a welcome guest at some clubs. Anyhow, there are a lot of things I like about the show, and a few things I think are total BS, Jax's dress code bothers me in particular. I have never crossed paths with a biker who dressed like him and it really grates on my nerves. Nonetheless, I think Kurt Sutter does an excellent job all-in-all, and his portrayal of Otto is freaking phenomenal... Otto is my favorite character. Opie was a favorite, and two of my other two favorites are Chibs and oddly, Tig. I think it's his loyalty. Gemma is a character everyone loves to hate, and Tara and Wendy never fail to be interesting. Anyhow, I was just wondering. I have not yet watched this season, and am just starting this season. I was just curious.

I'mma sign off for tonight. Catchya on the flip side, brother. Try to stay cool down south. Wink
Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:50 pm

Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:12 pm

riceme wrote:
GR, I have wanted to live permanently in Alaska since I was about 17 or 18. When I was in my early to mid 20s I thought that some little village outside of Nome would be an awesome place to live because it would be the farthest away I could get from civilization. During the 6 or so months that I had cable TV while I was living in Kansas I watched some of the shows about Alaska and because of the things I saw on those shows, I did some research, and learned that those villages were probably not a super good place for me to live for a number of reasons, most or all of which I'm sure you can put together for yourself.

Hell, I can walk 20-yards outside the cabin and basically be in the damned wilderness, so I'm good to go as far as I'm concerned. It's a dry cabin, which I'm sure you know the definition of, but for others' benefit means that there is no proper indoor plumbing. I have an outhouse and what I refer to as "redneck plumbing," which amounts to a sludge bucket underneath the bathroom sink. I've lived in much more primitive situations several times when I was younger, so this is pretty luxurious when I think back on that.

You ever watch that show Mountain Men on the History Channel? If you do, the fellow Marty that's on it is my cousin's best buddy. He was just over to the house tonight when I was over across the slough BS-ing with the boys. My cousin was welding him up a bracket for the sled he pulls behind his snow machine while he's out trapping. My cousin is nearly always with him when they're filming, but will not allow them to put him on the air, and gives Marty no end of crap about being a "movie star," haha, because he's on that show. If I didn't know my family as well as I did I'd tell him to lay offa him because the man is putting away extra money for retirement, basically for doing nothing. But we come from a long line of family who teases. "We wouldn't tease ya if we didn't love ya," sort of mentality. Anyhow, me and the boys did give ole Marty some grief about it tonight.

Hey, TOTALLY off the subject... If I remember correctly, you also ride. Uhh, as in ride motorcycles. I was wondering tonight if you watch that Sons of Anarchy show. In my past I have hung out some with a couple motorcycle clubs... they always treated me right and protected me. Don't read into that that I am a "biker chick" or an "ole lady"... I have just been a welcome guest at some clubs. Anyhow, there are a lot of things I like about the show, and a few things I think are total BS, Jax's dress code bothers me in particular. I have never crossed paths with a biker who dressed like him and it really grates on my nerves. Nonetheless, I think Kurt Sutter does an excellent job all-in-all, and his portrayal of Otto is freaking phenomenal... Otto is my favorite character. Opie was a favorite, and two of my other two favorites are Chibs and oddly, Tig. I think it's his loyalty. Gemma is a character everyone loves to hate, and Tara and Wendy never fail to be interesting. Anyhow, I was just wondering. I have not yet watched this season, and am just starting this season. I was just curious.

I'mma sign off for tonight. Catchya on the flip side, brother. Try to stay cool down south. Wink
No problem Rice. No I do not watch Sons of Anarchy, but I have watched Mountain Men. Hope you  have a good evening.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:28 pm

nochain wrote:
When I was first stationed in cold weather was in Germany. There was a little trick that some of the old time military learned from some Germans. In the winter months, the Germans would keep their door locks well lubricated with WD-40. They would also put a small a coat of it around the open door lever. I did this and never had an issue with my locks or door openers freezing up. Key would slide right in and unlock the door. So when I got to Alaska, I tried it there and it worked as great there as it did in Germany. Like Rice said yesterday, tires in Alaska are silicone based and that is basically what WD-40 is. I would also run an extension cord from my apartment to the car and plug in a heated oil dipstick. If not the oil would become so thick regardless of the viscosity used it would prevent the car from starting the next morning.

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:25 am

nochain wrote:
Ya, NO SHEET! My door handles (and my doors) are frozen shut every single day. It's a good thing I drive a borderline beater, because I have to kick the doors to get them to open. I mean, she is in fine mechanical condition and I take excellent care of her in THAT regard, but I could give a rat's ass if there are scratches or minor dents at this point. Uhh, not to mention, you could -- in all seriousness (and I'm sure GR will back me up) -- wind up with frostbite and lose some fingers if you lose your head and forget to wear gloves and grab a door handle or something in extremely low temperatures.

Got down to about ten below in North Pole today, so it was probably 15 or 20 below here. My hubs were frozen and I could not lock them into 4WD, so I had to drive for a while in "free" to warm them up. Good stuff.

rendeer 
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:59 am

Ghost Rider wrote:
When I was first stationed in cold weather was in Germany. There was a little trick that some of the old time military learned from some Germans. In the winter months, the Germans would keep their door locks well lubricated with WD-40. They would also put a small a coat of it around the open door lever. I did this and never had an issue with my locks or door openers freezing up. Key would slide right in and unlock the door. So when I got to Alaska, I tried it there and it worked as great there as it did in Germany. Like Rice said yesterday, tires in Alaska are silicone based and that is basically what WD-40 is. I would also run an extension cord from my apartment to the car and plug in a heated oil dipstick. If not the oil would become so thick regardless of the viscosity used it would prevent the car from starting the next morning.
I've been using Ballistol instead of WD-40 on mechanical systems for years. It is a *far* superior product, and while it costs a lot more, you need to use much less and what you use lasts a lot longer. If I'm lubing a junker, I do go ahead and use WD-40 though. Anything I care about gets Ballistol. This is a great tip, and I am going to squirt some Ballistol into my door handle, lock, and all that good stuff. Many thanks, and MUCH appreciated! I will pass this along.

http://www.ballistol.com/

If the product data sheet isn't there let me know. I have it somewheres. I thought it was in my files for my pickup, but it's not there.

Regarding your comment about your heated motor oil dipstick, did you get your rig outfitted with the four heaters that are now essentially standard Alaska requirements? There's one for your battery, oil pan, tranny and one for your anti-freeze reservoir, then you just plug it all in whenever you park your vehicle @home. Everyone leaves their vehicles running when they are in town. Anyhow, the heaters come in either 60W or 80W that I've seen. I priced them at the auto parts stores and they ran about $80/ea (which is total BS... I'll take a picture of the one my cousin gave me for comparison and post it... this crap should cost $20 each), then looked up the exact same part number and supplier on Amazon and they were half that, so that's what I'm gonna do. I've been tied up all day, so I need to order them tomorrow before we get a cold snap.
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:58 pm

I'm glad you're doing well Riceme..!! I'm hope it's a grand adventure... I envy you. I've always wanted to go to Alaska... but moving there lock stock and barrel is awesome... I'll look forward to your stories and accounts. Take care.
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:32 pm

I looked up Ballistol and there is a gun shop around the corner that carries it. I'll give it a try.

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:22 am

PkrBum wrote:
I'm glad you're doing well Riceme..!! I'm hope it's a grand adventure... I envy you. I've always wanted to go to Alaska... but moving there lock stock and barrel is awesome... I'll look forward to your stories and accounts. Take care.
PKR! I already said this on another post, but I am SO glad to see you posting here! It just warms the cockles of my heart : ). I have really missed your posts, insights and sense of humor.

So far, I could not be more happy up here in Alaska, even in 15-below temperatures. We'll see how I do when it gets down to 45 or 65 below, haha! I know it is not for everyone, and I still have a lot to learn, but family and friends seem to think that I am adjusting better than most folks.

You will appreciate -- and no doubt you are already aware -- that this is a Constitutional Carry state, whick is a pretty big bonus for me, of course.

I'd best get to sleep soon... I've got to go woodcutting in the morning.

Hope you stick around and keep posting, Pkr!
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:27 am

Eric wrote:
I looked up Ballistol and there is a gun shop around the corner that carries it.  I'll give it a try.

E: That doesn't look like the cans I have, but maybe they have new packaging... ?? Any way you slice it, it's guuuud ssshheeeeeeeet, mmmaaaahhhhnn.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:11 am

I think I already posted my fine piece of art I like to call "View from the Outhouse" (if I haven't let me know and I'll throw it up here), and here are three pictures of the little cabin I live in. It might seem small to you all, but I no longer own anything that doesn't fit in the back of my pickup, so it's perfect for me! And I love it... it's very nice and my cousin built it. The kitchen you see has what I refer to as "redneck plumbing," which is H2O piped-in from 20-gal plastic containers (shown in one of the pictures), and a 5-gal sludge bucket under the sink. And yes, I have a washtub, like some of you old-timers might have had when you all were young 'uns. Works for me.

Kitchen:

Main Room:

Main + Loft:

I need to snap a shot of the front of the cabin... it's a real sharp looking little place. I love it, and it is home. :]
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:11 pm

I'm glad you're so happy Ricey..... I'm still planning on getting there one of these years..
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:38 pm

Jake92 wrote:
I'm glad you're so happy Ricey.....  I'm still planning on getting there one of these years..
Thanks, Jake! No one who's outdoorsy at all should skip Alaska. I also very highly recommend the Canadian Rockies in BC, and the Yukon Territory. Absolutely cannot beat it, and that is quite a statement coming from me as a former certified hater of Canada Razz 

Gotta get rolling... Going woodcutting this morning, and we've got weather rolling in.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:42 pm

I just split a few pieces yesterday and have another 15' or so of branch to cut up before I split it.. There is a movie at the museum on the base about the railroad being built thru Canada.. It has some beautiful scenery in it..
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:09 pm

I hate splitting wood.  I want me one of these. It doesn't matter that I have no place to put it...

Jake92

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:27 pm

That takes the fun out of getting the firewood cut and split.. lol
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:45 pm

We just got a half-chord with our trailer and stacked it up on the front porch. This old man is tired.

Jake92

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Good job Eric.. Time for a nap.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Ricey, that stove kinda looks like the Buck Stove we have here in Hoover. When it gets in high gear and the fan starts pushing heat out into the room, it can heat my two story home all by itself.

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:47 am

Jake92 wrote:
I just split a few pieces yesterday and have another 15' or so of branch to cut up before I split it..  There is a movie at the museum on the base about the railroad being built thru Canada..  It has some beautiful scenery in it..
There were three of us and we cut, loaded, hauled & stacked just under five cords today (no need at all to split it)... A pretty good day's work. Just finished stacking @my cousin's place (three cords), and I'll stack mine tomorrow, since it is covered and his was not and it's snowing really hard.

I'd love to see the film about building the Canadian railroad. I wonder if I might be able to find it online... Question 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   

Back to top Go down

meanwhile, in Alaska
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Funny and Amusing-
Jump to: