Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

meanwhile, in Alaska

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 am

Hey, let's go surfing. It'll be fun!

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:23 pm

^NOPE!
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:03 pm

What the heck, y'all, how have I missed this thread? It's one of the best Riceme, and I'm getting a kick out of hearing about your adventures. I love AK like my own children and have been fortunate to do a lot of work up that way over the years…often for Arctic NWR data collection and analysis.

My good friends invited me to spend my first week at their place adjacent to the Chugash. When I walked in and asked where my godson was, my friend Kelly just waved her hand casually and said, "Oh, he's upstairs watching a moose out in the yard giving birth." Well she was…and they turned out to be as is sometimes the case…twins. I've been enchanted with AK ever since. A cabin there is in my distant but sure future.

Tell us more, Ricey! You getting a lot done with all the light?

Last edited by SheSurfs on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:05 pm

I always wanted to surf the Turnagain tidal bore  but there is not enough neoprene on the planet to keep me warm…and I would probably fall off immediately….

but then again….

Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:08 am

Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:20 am

The Ultimate Alaska RV

Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:37 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:40 pm

nochain wrote:

Is that the bear dude who went to live with the grizzlies, and then they ate him?
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:54 pm

salinsky wrote:
nochain wrote:

Is that the bear dude who went to live with the grizzlies, and then they ate him?

This is the first I've heard of a dumbass who went to live with brown bears, but I'm going to guess that yes, that is him. lol
Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:02 pm

salinsky wrote:
nochain wrote:

Timothy Treadwell; this dude looks totally different but no smarter
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:14 pm

SheSurfs, I actually got more done in the winter when it was dark all the time and it was -40F... possibly just because I had to. You know, there was wood to cut, split, stack and haul, wood to cut, split, stack and haul... ad nauseam. To tell the truth, I don't mind cutting wood cos my cousin and I make it our time that we spend together. We go out in the woods on the snow machine with the sled, build a bonfire, drink beer and bullshit. Oh yeah, and cut wood. haha.

But yeah, I'm sure the 24x7 sunlight would be great if it hadn't been raining for the past three months :-o
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:19 pm

nochain wrote:
salinsky wrote:

Timothy Treadwell; this dude looks totally different but no smarter

Wow, I don't know how I missed reading about this idiot. Seems like his gf was a bit smarter than him, but possibly stupid by association.
Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:47 am

Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:50 am

lol.

We already got a frost here. It was 32 a few days ago and it has been in the 30s most mornings in the past week. :/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:12 pm

riceme wrote:
lol.

We already got a frost here. It was 32 a few days ago and it has been in the 30s most mornings in the past week. :/

I'm worried about this winter.

Are you going to move closer to your work?

Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Mush, mush....
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:04 pm

Chrissy* wrote:
riceme wrote:
lol.

I'm worried about this winter.

Are you going to move closer to your work?

I hope you're not worried about ME... I'll be fine! "Closer" is relative. I am looking for a damp cabin near Fox or up on Haystack Mountain... maybe Chatanika, which are closer as a crow flies, but equidistant or a longer drive, but WAY better places to live. Well, Chatanika is closer any way you slice it, but is very remote as far as a place to live goes.

Ummm... a damp cabin is a cabin with an internal (inside the cabin, so it doesn't freeze) holding tank of water... usually 1000-gallons and internal only plumbing (except a drain that is buried under the permafrost so it doesn't freeze). You have to get water delivered every so often... usually about $100/mo for delivery. So that covers kitchen sink, bathroom sink and shower. Usually an outhouse. Sometimes a commode, sometimes washer & dryer.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:09 pm

Oh I did not see the picture until now, Chrissy. We do not generally get tons of snow all at once unless we have some crazy storm. The snow here is really fine and slow... It sort of starts in October and never stops til May. It would be very rare to get snowed in. The plow trucks and graders run constantly unless it is below -40... hydraulics do not like extreme cold, so you cannot operate them in those conditions, but that's okay because the roads are better if it is below -10... you get better grip on the ice the colder it gets. The roads get super shitty if it gets above -10. I prefer it to be below -10.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:33 pm

riceme, all I got to say is it you get one with a outhouse, I highly recommend a 5 gallon bucket. It worked on the boat LOL Because I would not be going out in that to go.... What a Face

Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:15 pm

Haha. I lived in a dry cabin from last year until July. I've got 5-gallon buckets dialed in, but only for pee in the middle of the night when it's like -40. Some people utilize buckets for other -40 outhouse-avoidance purposes, but not me. Grody to the maxx dude. I don't mind using the outhouse at all... better than dealing with frozen leech lines.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:29 pm

riceme wrote:
Haha. I lived in a dry cabin from last year until July. I've got 5-gallon buckets dialed in, but only for pee in the middle of the night when it's like -40. Some people utilize buckets for other -40 outhouse-avoidance purposes, but not me. Grody to the maxx dude. I don't mind using the outhouse at all... better than dealing with frozen leech lines.

Get a 5 gallon bucket . You can do both 1 & 2 then toss in some cat litter or sawdust to absorb liquid and smell and dump it next day and it will compost..humanure.. oh and with a little work you can fit a toilet seat on it...
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:35 pm

Why can't they dig wells there? It seems like a hassle to truck in water.

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:28 pm

T, like I said above... I lived in a dry cabin (no proper plumbing, outhouse, etc) all last year and have done the 5-gallon bucket thing. I will pee in a bucket if it is colder than a mf-er outside AND it is in the middle of the night AND I'm sleeping. I am just not a shit-in-a-bucket kind of girl. I walk (or run!) out to the outhouse, no matter the conditions or the situation. Some dry-cabin dwellers swear by the honey bucket routine, but it is not for me.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:41 pm

Eric wrote:
Why can't they dig wells there?  It seems like a hassle to truck in water.

Well, it is not so much that they can't dig wells (aside from the many issues permafrost causes). It's that it is very hard (read: very expensive) to keep plumbing (both incoming and outgoing) from freezing when it it's between -10 and -40 six months out of the year. Water is easy to haul compared to that... we have water wagons (think of a fuel truck filled with water) and water stations (think of a fuel station but with water... same pump and everything). For people who live in dry cabins, you haul water in 5-gallon cubies (like that you might take camping). I had five of them and my average water usage was less than 2 gal/day. People who live in damp cabins either have it delivered by a water wagon (see above) or haul their own using a Greer water tank that is designed to fit into the back of a pickup. You fill them at the water stations (see above).

Regarding outgoing plumbing issues... Fairbanks Pumping and Thawing (and other businesses like it) are so busy all winter thawing, then pumping and repairing people's pipes and septic systems, etc. that they have to turn people away. That's how big of an issue it is. It has a market of it's own... not just normal plumbing.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: above: Just to give you an idea of what it takes to keep plumbing from freezing here... My cousin built what we call "the hole," which is a sort of a basement that's only 5'6" tall and has a river rock floor lined with heavy rubber to keep the moisture out under his wet (fully plumbed) cabin. It would have cost him double to make it livable space, so... The walls of the hole are 3-feet thick and insulated with blue board (a magical insulation that protects against the cold up here). He has to HEAT this space that no one lives in all winter to keep all the plumbing from freezing. His well is under his house, because that, too has to be kept from freezing. My parents' pump house is about 100 yards from their house. Robert's is under the kitchen. I can no longer remember how deep he told me he buried all the outgoing septic lines, but I was stunned. He told me that he damn sure wanted to make sure they never froze, and he studied how deep the ground had ever froze before he dug.

When you think about a guy heating a hole under his house to keep his plumbing from freezing, please also remember that he is often heating it OVER 80-DEGREES... From -25 to +55. $$$$$$. Plus, he has to heat his home (upstairs) over 100-degrees, because his wife and child like it toasty!

So yeah, hauling water ain't so bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   

Back to top Go down

meanwhile, in Alaska
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Funny and Amusing-
Jump to: