Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

meanwhile, in Alaska

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:05 pm

Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:06 pm

Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:23 pm

Here's Ricey at her front door this morning...

Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:38 pm

She left some groceries in her car last night too.

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:48 pm

Eric wrote:

She left some groceries in her car last night too.
Yes... I had to go search my pickup in the middle of the night several weeks back because I woke up thinking I'd left a couple of emergency cans of albacore in water, some V8 and some beans stashed in the milk crate that I keep some other emergency gear in. Fortunately, I'd had the forethought to jettison it all before I left California.

Here's the current version of the dogsled crossing road sign I posted some time back:

A friend from home asked me last night if they plowed the roads here and I told him that they do... and that they drive 70 mi/hr. No kidding. Scared the bejeezus out of me at first. Also, on my way home from work today it was warm enough (about ten below) that the roads were super crappy, which reminded me to tell you all another interesting thing: it's normally so cold here that you can drive really fast on the roads which, although they plow the public roads (I live on a private road, of course, haha), they are covered in a perpetual sheet of ice with an occasional pothole that goes down to the asphalt. So, when it warms up to anything above about -10, the roads get super slick. Also, when it's cold the exhaust from vehicles (and everything else) does not rise, but it just lays down and sinks, making visibility even worse than it was before and worse yet, making the air quality super yummy. It's pretty gross.

So those are my interesting thoughts from Alaska today.

It's been pretty nice lately and is supposed to get up to the 20s, but we shall see...
Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:43 pm

Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:55 pm

Holy shit. That brown bear looks pissed. 

There are a lot of missing doorhandles up here. My buddy Steven got so mad after both front doorhandles on his Pathfinder broke that he's been looking for a fabricator who can fab him up some metal ones. In the meantime, it's good thing he's got two more doors plus the back gate to get in, lol.
Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:00 am

riceme wrote:

Note to self - leave the camera at home and bring the gun next time.......

Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:34 am

Love this thread. Rice you are amazing.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:06 pm

nochain wrote:
riceme wrote:

Note to self - leave the camera at home and bring the gun next time.......

Amended note to self: ditch this pea-shooter and get a .50-cal, lol
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:
Love this thread. Rice you are amazing.

Aww, thank you, Joani  Embarassed  Embarassed
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:34 pm

So on my drive home from work this morning I was struck with just how amazingly gorgeous it is here... so beautiful it made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. I so wish there were a way for me to capture the beauty here to share with you all... pictures do not do it justice. I do have a couple shots to share, but it'll have to wait til I can post them from my laptop. I had to get Verizon to send me a new Droid 4 because mine froze (lol) and I lost a bunch of pictures Sad. Total bummer. 

So as I was thinking to myself that I was going to post this to you all when I got home I see that someone has painted a big fluorescent orange 'TURN HERE' arrow in the snow and I started laughing my ass off. Of course you can paint on the snow when the temperature doesn't get above 10-degrees for four months, but it just struck my funny bone. This is a different world. Where I'm from we might get four feet in one day, but it also might all be melted in the next two days... here it just continues to accumulate until April or May. 

So happy to be here Smile
Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:34 pm

Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:04 pm

I can't imagine the beauty you see daily. I loved the snow and mountains surrounding Aspen. I couldn't get enough of it.
Back to top Go down
nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:43 am

Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:29 pm

So below is how it's done in Alaska, but if you did it thisaway in Florida you'd get a longer sentence then the three nitwits who were robbing you... which makes no sense to me. Oh, you might have to delete the "m." for mobile after http:// below unless you're on a phone. 

http://m.newsminer.com/news/local_news/fairbanks-man-holds-would-be-burglars-at-gunpoint-until-police/article_527471ba-88c2-11e3-b04c-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:22 pm

The link works, Ricey.

If you are on your own property and don't fire a shot, I suspect you can pull a gun on a thief in Florida.

Just don't pull the trigger. If the burglars run away, you can't shoot em in the back if they don't stop.

It would be interesting how far you can go with a gun when the other guys are unarmed. I guess that if three guys charge a homeowner with a gun, the homeowner can fire in self defense.

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:52 am

We have what is equivalent to a castle law, but it's called something else (which slips my mind at the moment). The man in the above article was in public... we are a consitutional carry state. Before I came up here I did not know what exactly to expect... wild west with everyone walking around strapped, or what. That is not the case. In general it seems like the folks who are obviously coming "to town" from the bush walk around armed. Other than that, not so much. 

Oh, I forgot, you're in Alabama... Wink
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:10 pm

I read a news story yesterday about a man who pulled up beside a car full of guys in a parking lot.  The guys were playing loud music and the man asked them to turn it down.

They turned it down, but the car's owner turned it back up.  Enraged, the man pulled out a gun and shot a bunch of rounds into the car, killing the driver.

He is going to try to use the "stand your ground" law... saying he felt threatened.  Based upon the limited info in the article, I don't think he has a snowball's chance in hell of getting acquitted.

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:41 pm

Eric wrote:
I read a news story yesterday about a man who pulled up beside a car full of guys in a parking lot.  The guys were playing loud music and the man asked them to turn it down.

They turned it down, but the car's owner turned it back up.  Enraged, the man pulled out a gun and shot a bunch of rounds into the car, killing the driver.

He is going to try to use the "stand your ground" law... saying he felt threatened.  Based upon the limited info in the article, I don't think he has a snowball's chance in hell of getting acquitted.

Not a chance, he could have driven away. It's the 1% of idiots that give responsible gun owners a bad name.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:45 pm

nochain wrote:
Eric wrote:

Not a chance, he could have driven away. It's the 1% of idiots that give responsible gun owners a bad name.

Agree 100%... in fact, if it were mathematically possible to agree more, I would. My educated guess is that the shooter is a shit-for-brains rage-a-holic, wife-beating asshole.
Back to top Go down
riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:23 pm

Before last night I'd managed to miss the Northern Lights, probably largely because I work at night. They are more spectacular and amazing than I fear I'll ever have words to explain to you all, and pictures do not tell the tale. It's like the night sky is dancing. Imagine a photo you've seen of the Northern Lights, then imagine those lights moving in all directions... fast. Faster than you thought possible. It's almost like god has multi-colored spotlights and is moving them around just for the sheer beauty of it. I wish I had a video camera... several times I took my phone out to take pictures, but it never made it up to my face so I could aim & shoot. I was utterly dumbstruck. Could have stood out there all night watching til I froze to death, I expect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   

Back to top Go down

meanwhile, in Alaska
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Funny and Amusing-
Jump to: