Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:56 am

The den was always dark and dreary.  Dark 70's paneling in a too-small room with little natural light.  The contractor will finish the wall that had the paneling on it with sheet rock and I'll paint the entire new, big room.  We're having the ceiling lighting moved from where it is and having two matching ceiling fans put in. Hubby will put some decorative tile in on the floor where the wall was at.  

Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:44 am

Looks like a real project!  That gap in the tile (where the wall was located) looks like a full square would fit back in the gap if the cut-down tiles were removed... on either side of the gap.    

I have a couple of decks on this house in Hoover, one at the entry level and one at the upstairs (bedroom) level.  The bedroom level deck had some rotten boards where you walked, so we pulled all of them off.  Then we decided to pull the joists because of some rot and they weren't attached very well.  Then we saw that there was a rotten board where the deck attached to the house, so we pulled it down... and found rotten siding.  Removing the rotten siding, we found rot in the wall.  Removing that, we knocked a 2' by 5' hole in the sheetrock of our dining room... a skylight if you will.

All rot has been removed, wood replaced, sheetrock replaced and painted, cedar siding replaced and painted, new joists installed.  Now we need to replace the original boards we wanted to replace in the first place!!!  Whew!  I am getting too old for this crap.  My 30 year old son Shaun has been helping me a lot.

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:09 am

That's the way it goes...you start on one project and then it just snowballs on you. We still will have a lot to do when this room is finished.
I am not sure what hubby has in mind, full sized tile or a strip of smaller tiles down the center of the room.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:33 pm

nekochan wrote:
That's the way it goes...you start on one project and then it just snowballs on you.  We still will have a lot to do when this room is finished.  
I am not sure what hubby has in mind, full sized tile or a strip of smaller tiles down the center of the room.

Maybe yall could use some type of accent tile between what was 2 rooms. I think if it were accented it would look great.

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:33 pm

I think you're right, Ghost.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:50 am

Window guy was here this morning. We're replacing all the windows in the house and are having french doors taken out of two bedrooms and a sliding glass door taken out of what used to be the den. But when you start removing outside doors on a 70's house...you run into code problems. Nothing is ever easy! Surprised 
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:27 pm

nekochan wrote:
Window guy was here this morning.  We're replacing all the windows in the house and are having french doors taken out of two bedrooms and a sliding glass door taken out of  what used to be the den.   But when you start removing outside doors on a 70's house...you run into code problems.   Nothing is ever easy! Surprised 

We're having new windows and doors installed at our P'cola house. Talk about code problems... the garden window cannot be replaced because they don't make one that is hurricane resistant. They could build a hurricane-resistant bay or bow window there, but it will cost more than we're willing to pay.

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Our bedroom windows do not have a 24" clearance when opened. They only have a 23" clearance. This does not meet today's code. Two of these windows are the rooms we're having the french doors removed from. These are rooms that have double french doors (to the outside of the house) and one window in addition to the french doors. But there is not a 24" clearance when you open the window so the contractor said he cannot take out those french doors and still meet code. I am not sure it would matter if the rooms didn't have the french doors in the first place, and we were only replacing the windows. If that were the case, you'd never be able to replace windows in older homes. But since the french doors are being removed, then we have to stick to code, I guess?..or something stupid. I really don't understand. The solution...put slider windows in both those rooms (windows that slide open) instead of regular windows. We're also having a transom (just for extra light) put in the Master Bedroom, where the french doors were. But the one I found in a catalog does not meet FL hurricane code. So the window guy came out and he'll have to make one.
Also, have you replaced a roof recently? It's CRAZY expensive now in Florida. A roof that used to cost $4000 several years ago now cost $10,000-$12,000.
I understand having safety codes and stuff. But it's gotten ridiculous. Our contractor had to submit a plot of our house to the county...just to do work inside the house and replace the windows. I would understand if he were adding on a room, but he's not. It's just crazy, the stuff you have to go through now.
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:16 pm

You don't have to install hurricane proof windows if you have approved storm shutters that meet hurricane standards.

That is the way I went.  Hurricane "proof" windows can still break, but they don't fall out of the frame and keep the integrity of the house safe.  But replacing broken window glass gets expensive.  

And houses with shutters discourage looters.

I preferred to have hurricane-rated shutters over new regular windows.

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:15 am

I didn't know that about the shutters...but I am not sure how we would put shutters over a transom...so the window guy is just going to make one that meets code.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:01 am

Contact Rebuild NW Florida for the possibility of getting approved shutters that the county will cover 80% of the cost..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:10 am

We live just outside the Jax area....but that is a good idea for locals.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:21 am

Ask the authorities if the metal shutters would be good enough to pass the code..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:25 am

Our house now has 1970s windows. Single pane, aluminum frame. We are having new windows put in the entire house--I think it's 11 windows. Double pane, they meet all codes, safety codes and hurricane codes for this area. The brand is an Anderson brand. We are in Clay County, some miles inland from the Atlantic Ocean, and I don't think we have as strict of a code here as you might in the Pensacola area. Not sure about our code vs your code there. But the total cost is $4100 for installation of all those windows. We are satisfied that this is a good price to replace all of the existing windows in the house. It's the cost of a new roof that I cannot get over. At first I thought I could look around and find a better price than the original quotes we had (the house was a rental prior to us moving back in...our property manager got us several quotes). But when we moved back here and into the house, I got several more roof quotes and they were all well over $9000, one quote was over $12,000. Just unbelievable.What a Face  But the house had to have a new roof and so it does.
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:00 am

Windows, interior, and roof... Ouch!

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:22 am

Yes, it's a lot. But...it's a 70s house and the only updating we've done before now is to put tile floors in the living areas (we still have nasty old carpet in the bedrooms) and we added a sun room about 12 years ago. But the roof was original to 1976. The kitchen, the bathrooms, the dark paneled den, the windows, the bedroom carpeting--all 1976. So it needs updating. And it's been a rental for the past 10 years, up until we moved back into it a couple of months ago. So...the tenants have paid most of the mortgage on our 15 year loan. And fortunately, we bought the house before the market went nuts in the early/mid 2000s, so we didn't pay and don't owe more on the house than it's worth today. It could be much, much worse!
Back to top Go down
Eric

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:15 am

We have two 1070's houses.  Thankfully, the one in P'cola has brick vernier, mostly, and has never been rented.  

(Although, after Ivan, we let people live there rent and utility free.)   The first couple was older and took better care of the house than we did... even buying a new refrigerator.  Their home on Big Lagoon was reduced to a slab of concrete, and we were glad to offer them a place to live.

The second family had tourist-related jobs and after Ivan, their jobs evaporated, and they were being evicted.  I knew them from the Church and the wife seemed to be very active in the Church.  They had a slew of kids and brought pets into the home, which they agreed not to do in writing.  We got the house back with kool-aid splashed on freshly painted walls, snap-n-pops thrown against freshly painted walls, all screens torn by animals, all lampshades broken, a hole in sheetrock, carpets heavily soiled, cabinetry hand built by my dad was ruined, lattice fence destroyed with hammers... your normal nightmare.

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Our house is Norwegian brick. I've been told that this type of brick is no longer made. Before we bought the house, in the late 90s, we had it inspected. The inspector said it was very well built. Of course, it's difficult to even find new houses today built with brick. If you do see a newer brick house, the back is usually not brick. As for tenants here, we had a property manager and we've been pretty lucky...but there are a couple of things I'm not happy about that some of the tenants did. Not sure which ones, because there have been maybe 4 or 5 over the last 10 years. But one of the tenants put some sort of hooks all along the top of the sun room walls. These are hammered into the metal walls. They won't come out without leaving holes. Of course, they didn't ask if they could do this. I would NEVER, ever do something like that to someone's house I was renting. I don't know what some people are thinking. Also, some of the ceilings are stained, as if someone threw stuff up onto the ceilings. And there is black stuff on the outside of the house, on the brick, in several places. Also on the front porch. As if a kid was playing with black smut or something. I am not sure what was going on with that. Other than that, it's just pretty much normal wear and tear on a 30+ year old house.

There is no excuse for what your tenants did, especially ruining the cabinets. Mad  Some people are just pigs. When we have rented other peoples' houses, we've always been careful to take care of the place. We've always been more careful as tenants than we are in our own house. In Japan, in the last house we rented there, we put a plywood covering over the floor in the Tatami room of the house we rented so as not to damage it. We were also very careful not to damage the shoji screens. When we moved out, the floors and walls looked as good as the day we moved in. We rented a house in Enterprise, AL before we moved to Huntsville. That house was cleaner when we moved out than when we moved in. For example, the previous tenants did not take apart the burners on the stove and clean under them when they moved out. I did. I guess maybe having lived in Navy housing when we first got married, with a very, very strict white glove "inspection" crew going over the place when we moved out--I have always left a place at least as clean as when I moved in. As landlords, we've always made sure the houses we rented out were in good condition and if something was not working, we quickly fixed or replaced it. It's just mutual respect, on the tenant's part that they are living in someone else's house and on the landlord's part that the tenant is paying their hard earned money to rent your house.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den   

Back to top Go down

Had the wall knocked out between our living room and den
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Everyday Pensacola :: Funny and Amusing :: Photos-
Jump to: