Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BC/BS of Illinois - No Biopsy authorized... "You're going to die anyway"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

BC/BS of Illinois - No Biopsy authorized... "You're going to die anyway" Empty
PostSubject: BC/BS of Illinois - No Biopsy authorized... "You're going to die anyway"   BC/BS of Illinois - No Biopsy authorized... "You're going to die anyway" EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 12:49 pm

The whole story (link)

The good part:

Quote :
I was lucky to have enough slides from a 2011 biopsy to have the University of Colorado test my tumor for the relatively new ROS1 genetic mutation in my tumor tissue. Because I tested positive for ROS1, I was able to enter a clinical trial for the targeted therapy crizotinib, a drug which inhibits my ROS1-driven cancer. The trial treatment eliminated both nodules and has given me No Evidence of Disease Status for five months. I am once again able to enjoy traveling, writing, and doing things with my family. If I had not had leftover biopsy slides, an EMN biopsy would have been my only opportunity to obtain enough tissue to test for ROS1. Without that ROS1 trial and crizotinib, I might be dead by now.

Doctors who don’t keep current on new treatment options and then decide a biopsy “is not going to affect long-term health outcomes” for metastatic lung cancer patients are insuring those patients will die sooner rather than later.

That’s not the kind of health insurance I want. Do you?
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

BC/BS of Illinois - No Biopsy authorized... "You're going to die anyway"
Page 1 of 1