Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

4-H land deal recommendations report is completed.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

4-H land deal recommendations report is completed. Empty
PostSubject: 4-H land deal recommendations report is completed.   4-H land deal recommendations report is completed. EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 10:18 am

At NorthEscambia.com (article)

The 4-H Task Force forwarded a completed report on a replacement site for the 4-H community... and sent it to a University of FL dean.

Here is the article:

Quote :
A task force on a fact-finding mission about potential future land for Escambia County 4-H has issued its findings in a report to a University of Florida dean.
After reviewing the report, UF/IFAS Extension Dean Nick Place could choose to act on the task force’s findings or ask the group to continue its fact-finding research. The task force was created following the sale of the 240-acre Langley Bell 4-H Center to Navy Federal Credit Union for $3.6 million. From the sale proceeds, $2 million was placed in an endowment fund with interest used to support Escambia County 4-H, and $1.6 million was reserved for 4-H use under the guidance of UF/IFAS.

The group was tasked with identifying options for meeting the 4-H’s animal science and outdoor education needs while complementing the new 4-H Center to be constructed next to the Extension office on Stefani Road.

The report contains multiple detailed proposals about land purchase options as well as “non-land” options that would use existing property and facilities to meet current and future 4-H needs. There is no timetable for a decision by Place.

Some of the land facilities considered by the task force and their findings included:

LAND OPTIONS

Bayer Crop Science Facility
, Molino. The 250 acres are owned by Bayer Crop Science with an expected purchase price of $1.3 to $1.5 million. The facility has existing land, three ponds, three office buildings, three bands and  state of the art greenhouses.  Many areas of 4-H could be done in one place. With existing amenities and room to expand, the property would continue to serve 4-H well into the future. This facility will be capable of hosting such as 4-H livestock shows, livestock camps, agriculture workshops, large and small animal demonstrations, competitions, and other 4-H educational programs.

Cottage Hill State Forest
, Cottage Hill. About 31 acres; the state is willing to deed the property to Escambia County. Site would support environmental and horticultural sciences, outdoor education, forestry and other 4-H activities. Currently has horse trails.

Escambia County Equestrian Center
, Mobile Highway. Owned by Escambia County, includes 151 acres. Not currently equipped to handle any livestock except horses. A memorandum of understanding would ensure the 4-H could use the facility for animal shows.

Pensacola Interstate Fairgrounds
.  Livestock facilities currently in a state of disrepair, but no cost for use. 4-H would be responsible for building structures and manure disposal. Would support livestock showmanship programs.

Highway 196
. Four unimproved parcels ranging from about 40 to 85 acres. $2,800 per acre, currently owned by United Bank.  Land would need to be cleared and structures constructed.  “Unimproved raw property can have long-term potential. However, without more specific knowledge about this particular piece of property, it is difficult to say how it would exactly directly support 4-H programs,” the task force found.

IP-ECUA/Becks Lake. Unknown number of acres. Purchase price unknown.  Can meet livestock needs and includes a lake. Space would allow for needs of outdoor environmental education activities.

NON-LAND OPTIONS

Privately Owned Land
. The Barrineau Park 4-H and the Livestock 4-H currently use the facilities of private landowners for livestock. By recruiting other members of the agriculture community, more sites could be developed with leases and grants to provide opportunities for 4-H club members to have off-site raising facilities. No cost to 4-H.

National, State and Local Parks
. This option is low cost and does not involve land ownership or maintenance.Allowing 4-H Clubs to visit state parks and have the opportunity to use the park as an educational site opens up various topics that address outdoor education and natural resource topics.Many of the parks also have youth programs open to the public on various topics that are included in 4-H project areas.

Roy Hyatt Environmental Center
. About 20 acres, owned by the Escambia County School District. Usage fees unknown.  Would provide space for livestock and other activities.
To download the complete 4-H Task Force report, click here (4.8Mb, 121 page pdf).
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Eric

Eric

4-H land deal recommendations report is completed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4-H land deal recommendations report is completed.   4-H land deal recommendations report is completed. EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 10:58 am

I just read the report... well, I skimmed over the 121-page document.  There is no recommendation for a particular parcel over another.  I guess there is still time for good-ol'-boy lobbying and back-slapping.

I don't know why I am so interested in this process.  I am not agriculturally oriented.  I guess my concern is rooted in the potential benefits to our area's agricultural future.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

4-H land deal recommendations report is completed.
Page 1 of 1