Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Termites, y'all have em?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Termites, y'all have em? Empty
PostSubject: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyFri May 24, 2013 8:50 am

Good heavens, they are swarming like mad and I've been inundated.

Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyFri May 24, 2013 9:23 am

Nope.

I remember reading back on the PNJ that Olddaze had them, but after Gulf Beach Bandit (AKA Ghandi) ribbed him about it incessantly, Olddaze clammed up about what he did about them.

He (Olddaze) is still around, just not here or at PDF. He uses another forum a lot, but it will go unnamed because he is paranoid about Ghandi's bounty... and other reasons best unsaid.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyFri May 24, 2013 11:10 am

I'm glad to know Daze is well.

Storm, is your house alright?
Back to top Go down
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyFri May 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Hey Eric, I've wondered what happened to Daze. Glad to hear he's ok. We never
agreed on much, but he was always respectful and commented on Paige's attire. I miss him.

Yes, Neko. Thanks for asking. I would not buy a home w/o termite insurance but have found Terminix to be less than helpful.

After 20 years with Terminix on 6(?) houses, I've switched to Orkin.

Terminix has $100,000 coverage, Orkin has unlimited.

I bought this house 1 year ago and it had been swarmed. Terminix said not to worry, but Orkin is trenching, foaming, et al.

I like the assurance, although none of them will address swarms (mother nature, it would seem). Sad

Hope you're ok with it, but am guessing you're a few weeks behind us?

Turn the lights out!!!

Good to hear from ya, girl!
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyFri May 24, 2013 6:49 pm

Yes....we have had them and my kids. They swarm the lights at night. Wednesday night I fired up my handy-dandy Black Flag Fogger and fogged all around the house. Haven't seen them since.
Back to top Go down
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptySat May 25, 2013 2:50 pm

Good for you, Joani!

I'm happy to report all of mine are dead. Still, it's like having someone throw a crate of brown rice in your house!

AURGH
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptySat May 25, 2013 6:24 pm

So far I have not seen any swarms or any tunnels on the outside or inside of my house.
Back to top Go down
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptySat May 25, 2013 8:28 pm

You're lucky gr.

I have an empty lot next to me and am sure they have colonized in one of the dead trees. Trying to buy the lot, but so far it's a no go.

Thinking Iceland at this point! Sad
Back to top Go down
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 11:13 am

Termite lessons I have learned.

Swarms cannot be stopped.  We are dealing with Formosan now, not our usual sub type.
They can be detected in the walls....saw pics.  It would be hard to miss them as they make swells like hives in the walls with brown spots (poop)  Aurgh!

Trenching and foaming are needed.  Done.  But it won't stop the swarms.

Hairspray will kill any you see living.

We're due to be hit harder each year as they are coming in from N.O. presumably from Asian imports and are here to stay.

The little darlins that are swarming are looking for water and mates....not eating.

Sigh.  It's been a learning experience for sure!
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 3:59 pm

A pest control technician told me that it isn't the swarming termites that are the cause for concern. As long as they are swarming and not having infested then you are OK. I do not know how true this is, but I have heard the same thing from different people.
Back to top Go down
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Ghost_Rider1949 wrote:
A pest control technician told me that it isn't the swarming termites that are the cause for concern. As long as they are swarming and not having infested then you are OK. I do not know how true this is, but I have heard the same thing from different people.
Yes, GR that's what I'm being told too, but they surely do make a mess of things.

It's like brown confetti everywhere!

I'm thinking Alaska?
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 8:04 pm

stormwatch89 wrote:
Ghost_Rider1949 wrote:

Yes, GR that's what I'm being told too, but they surely do make a mess of things.

I'm thinking Alaska?
If I could talk my wife into it, Alaska is where I would be posting this from right now. I spent 3 years there early in my career. I was stationed at Fort Wainwright in Fairbanks.
Back to top Go down
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 9:20 pm

Ghost_Rider1949 wrote:
stormwatch89 wrote:
Ghost_Rider1949 wrote:

I'm thinking Alaska?

If I could talk my wife into it, Alaska is where I would be posting this from right now. I spent 3 years there early in my career. I was stationed at Fort Wainwright in Fairbanks.
How are the bugs?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 10:03 pm

Hopefully, the bugs aren't as bad as what I have seen pictures of in Canada.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 7:32 am

stormwatch89 wrote:
Ghost_Rider1949 wrote:
stormwatch89 wrote:
Ghost_Rider1949 wrote:

I'm thinking Alaska?

How are the bugs?

Cockroaches, earwigs, spiders and such as that, but no bother. Fairbanks is only about 150 miles south of the Arctic Circle. Winters can be really brutal while spring and summers are relatively mild. But back to your question, I had no problems with bugs or insects while I was there.
Back to top Go down
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 8:30 am

Well, that would be a good thing!  My experience in colder climates is that the mosquitoes and flies are HUNGRY when it's warm.  So little time to eat, ya know?

Hard to figure where to live anymore.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 10:42 am

Insects are not going to dictate my life! I have a Black Flag fogger I use....it works great when we are outside. It will last 4-6 hours.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:
Insects are not going to dictate my life! I have a Black Flag fogger I use....it works great when we are outside. It will last 4-6 hours.

Me neither. If I have outside activities planned, I carry them out regardless of any pests or insects.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Ghost_Rider1949 wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Me neither. If I have outside activities planned, I carry them out regardless of any pests or insects.

I must be a wussy.  If the no-seeums are out in force, I ain't.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 5:54 pm

Eric wrote:
Ghost_Rider1949 wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

I must be a wussy.  If the no-seeums are out in force, I ain't.
Like Joani said use a fogger.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Termites, y'all have em?   Termites, y'all have em? Empty

Back to top Go down

Termites, y'all have em?
Page 1 of 1